N44E/improved or N55E/improved

MrGrady

I have a Marantz 6370Q turntable with a Shure M44E cartridge.
I wanted to try a Jico stylus. But I don't know which would be the better choice.
I'm currently tracking at 1.5 grams.
I listen to a lot of different types of music i.e. rock, jazz, blues, classical .......
So which one would you pick, and why?
N44E/improved or N55E/improved?

Thanks

I have no experience with the N55E stylus.
Neither, JICO or other aftermarket styli.

However, from the original options for that series, I'd rank the N44-7 at the top of my list.
If you are happy with your original N44E, you would be even happier with the N44-7.
The N44C heavy tracking option, must come second and is also very pleasing.

The N44E and the N44G, are very similar both in tonality and in tracking, to the classic N44-7 with only minor sonic differences.
Great options, as well.

I'm not really sold on a conical tip.
That said, I don't think I ever listened to a conical tip stylus.
Here's my reasoning: with an elliptical tip there would be more surface area on the vinyl. Which should produce more information. Which should be more musical.
I'm not really educated on this.....and I could be totally wrong. :)

That said, I don't think I ever listened to a conical tip stylus

If you find an original N44-7 at a fair price, I'd suggest you try it and be the judge.

From my own experience and testing, the N44-7 is a bit superior sonically, to the very good N44E.

Well I went ahead and did it.
I order both the N44-7/improved and the N44E/improved from Jico.
Between breaking in new tubes on my amp, phono stage, and new stylus.......... This should a pretty fun month.

That said, I don't think I ever listened to a conical tip stylus.
Here's my reasoning: with an elliptical tip there would be more surface area on the vinyl. Which should produce more information. Which should be more musical.
I'm not really educated on this.....and I could be totally wrong. :)
Have you ever looked at the "So you want to know stylus shapes?" thread? The spherical tip has the smallest area of contact with the groove wall of all stylus configurations.

Thanks
I went ahead and registered with them, so I could access all the information.
Hopefully this will educate me.

Thanks again

Between breaking in new tubes on my amp, phono stage, and new stylus.......... This should a pretty fun month.

I'd be interested in your thoughts when you get them.

I purchased the Jico N55E (improved) stylus a year ago and it's still on the old Garrard DD75. Sounds just a bit better than the original Shure it replaced. Not so much more treble, just better defined.
I finally got my sibilance test record (Al Stewart's Zero She Flies) to play acceptably, never quite did with the old stylus.

I play at 1.6g , which may reflect more on the arm than anything.

I'd be interested in your thoughts when you get them.

I purchased the Jico N55E (improved) stylus a year ago and it's still on the old Garrard DD75. Sounds just a bit better than the original Shure it replaced. Not so much more treble, just better defined.
I finally got my sibilance test record (Al Stewart's Zero She Flies) to play acceptably, never quite did with the old stylus.

I play at 1.6g , which may reflect more on the arm than anything.

They should be in this week.
I'll give a shout out, once I've done a little break in.

What is your verdict on the Jico N44-e improved and Jico N44-7 improved?

@MrGrady Have you had an opportunity to compare the N44-7/improved and the N44E/improved from Jico? I love to learn about your experiences with them.

I was also waiting on this..
If JICO could tame the extra bit of energy of the originals in the upper regions, I'd be interested.

I think it's the only weak point of those two classic cartridges.
Both M44E and M44-7 are a bit excessive towards the treble.

It's their liveliness and energy that makes them unique.
With maybe another contender to match them in that aspect, the equally classic AT3600L.

But again, that extra energy towards the upper part of the spectrum could be a bit less.

Want the energy tamed, buy a M 75 or M 91 or V 15 Type II. I want the M 44 to sound like an M 44. I have M 75 and M 91 when I want more refined.

I dont mind that extra energy in general.
Im sold to it.

But i would like to add a choice of a bit more mellow top end to thay body.

Still Im a sucker for thay cartridge.
Cant deny its charm.

I dont mind that extra energy in general.
Im sold to it.

But i would like to add a choice of a bit more mellow top end to thay body.

Still Im a sucker for thay cartridge.
Cant deny its charm.

The 44-7 has an output of 9.5-11 mV(depending on what version you have). Use a 44G or 55E for a lower output, which would tame the energy some.

The 44-7 has an output of 9.5-11 mV(depending on what version you have). Use a 44G or 55E for a lower output, which would tame the energy some.
I have an original N44E and an N44G (mexico).

The N44E is a bit less explosive overall.
It has a bit more pronounced bottom end and less on top.
The N44G is quite similar but does not track as well at 1.5grams, so It never won me over.

The M44-7 (mexico 9.5mV) is probably the better choice for me, although I like the M44E for its additional definition.
The M55E is missing from my collection, so I can't offer any comment, but I gues it should be a bit more refined than the M44E.

FYI

Shure M44G - Spherical (0.6 mils)

Shure M44E - Biradial (0.4 x 0.7 mils)

Shure M55E - Biradial (0.2 x 0.7 mils) :music:

I have an original N44E and an N44G (mexico).

The N44E is a bit less explosive overall.
It has a bit more pronounced bottom end and less on top.
The N44G is quite similar but does not track as well at 1.5grams, so It never won me over.

The M44-7 (mexico 9.5mV) is probably the better choice for me, although I like the M44E for its additional definition.
The M55E is missing from my collection, so I can't offer any comment, but I gues it should be a bit more refined than the M44E.

44-E is about the same output as the 7, but an elliptical. I never liked the G either, although mostly because I found it rather dull. It tracked fine, although I think I probably tracked it heavier.

The 55-E is very good. I believe Jico's version is every bit as good as the original.

Back
Top Bottom