Dac with Ethernet

rromeo

I am looking for an inexpensive DAC with Ethernet. I had a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac jr that had this and allowed me to access my digital files that were in another room in my house on a NAS. I am using a google mesh system (wifi) and it allows for access points that have ethernet ports. Unfortunately I needed $$$ and sold the PS Audio. I am looking for something that will do the same thing for much less money now. I dont listen to digital music that much so it doesnt have to be incredible sound quality, though I would like to have my cake and eat it to. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am using a google mesh system (wifi)

I'm not sure I see the benefit of using a WiFi to ethernet bridge device and an ethernet DAC, over a simple WiFi DAC.

One possibility would be an RPi and a DAC 'hat'. Or a cheap Android media box, running something like BubbleUPnP as a renderer.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of using a WiFi to ethernet bridge device and an ethernet DAC, over a simple WiFi DAC.

One possibility would be an RPi and a DAC 'hat'. Or a cheap Android media box, running something like BubbleUPnP as a renderer.
My wifi is not that great. I get dropouts etc with just wifi. Using the ethernet port from the access point takes care of that.

I read your post as suggesting you had WiFi to ethernet bridge units, not wired direct to your broadband router. Did I misunderstand you?

I read your post as suggesting you had WiFi to ethernet bridge units, not wired direct to your broadband router. Did I misunderstand you?
I have a NAS with flac files. With my old ps audio I would run ethernet from WIFI access point of Google Mesh WIFI system.
I was also thinking about how when I just used laptop running usb to PS Audio using only wifi to access the NAS I had dropouts. When I connected another access point ethernet to laptop better. I got confused and put these two ideas together. My bad.
Back to issue at hand. I would like to use a ethernet bridge dac. I was using bubble upnp with my android phone and also using tidal on phone and laptop which would see the psaudio.

Then your WiFi router is suspect. Generally, if the WiFi router is more than 3 years old, replace it or if you are using one that came with your device, get rid of it.
Less than a year old and huge improvement over previous one. Very broken up tri-level house.

I have a PS Audio DSD Directstream DAC with the Bridge II, absolutely love it, love it.

I also have a couple of Sonore microRendu's, they work well on Ethernet and are connected to a couple of older DACS.

Also have a Bluesound Powernode in use wirelessly and occasionally have a drop a dropout. I need to run another cable into that room.

Might want to try finding a used microRendu and cheap dac.

I second the idea to use a Raspberry Pi with a DAC "hat". If putting this together is not your thing, you can find some that are pre-configured (look e.g. for a "bundle", like the HiFiBerry). You can get this starting at around $80 or so.

I am using a Raspberry Pi with the Allo Boss DAC, and it sounds fantastic. I did go through the extra trouble to build a linear power supply for it, and built a nice case as well. But even when I first ran it with the standard wall power supply, it already sounded superb.

I second the idea to use a Raspberry Pi with a DAC "hat". If putting this together is not your thing, you can find some that are pre-configured (look e.g. for a "bundle", like the HiFiBerry). You can get this starting at around $80 or so.

I am using a Raspberry Pi with the Allo Boss DAC, and it sounds fantastic. I did go through the extra trouble to build a linear power supply for it, and built a nice case as well. But even when I first ran it with the standard wall power supply, it already sounded superb.

I have a Raspberry Pi. However, I was having issues with the OS. Actually all issues came from me being non technical about this kind of stuff. It would work sometimes and other times couldnt get it to connect. I dont really remember exactly what was going on, it was a year or so ago and I kinda gave up.

I have a Raspberry Pi. However, I was having issues with the OS. Actually all issues came from me being non technical about this kind of stuff. It would work sometimes and other times couldnt get it to connect. I dont really remember exactly what was going on, it was a year or so ago and I kinda gave up.
Sorry to hear that. You were using the ethernet adapter, or wireless?

I have used the RuneAudio distribution at first, then used tinyCore and built mpd etc. myself.
I have never had problems with mine, but I admit I have been a Linux guy since over 20 years now... (***t, I am getting old!)

FYI, I was havging issues with my PI as well but I found an OS called PiCorePlayer that when you put the image on the SD card it just works.
You flash the SD Card, then plug it into the PI, plug in the ethernet cable, and voila, It's ready to play music.
Really cool alternative.

Might want to try finding a used microRendu and cheap dac.
No, I'll wait until you sell yours. :D I still might get one as an interrim solution until I can get the "real deal". My Oppo works fine as a DAC.

BTW, I saw a deal on a DS Jr. for under $2200 US, but I don't think the seller would have shipped to the US from Canada.

An Oppo 103/105 will do that, plus more....:)
The 205 actually will do what I need, but I'm not buying it since I no longer use an optical drive in my system, nor do I use it for video. (And I'm not paying the "Oppo Tax" to buy one right now.) The Sonica DAC is pretty close and would work as another interim solution. I can't do DSD and a couple other things the way I want to with a 105, plus I'm considering a Roon setup. DLNA works mostly good with the 105 but like any DLNA device, there are flaws in the system and it will sometimes give me problems. The 105 is staying put, though--it's the only means I have to rip SACDs.

But I figure, why waste the money I could be saving up for my "end game" purchase by buying interim bits and pieces? A Sonica DAC and microRendu is almost halfway to a used DAC/streamer I'm looking at, or a third of the way towards its bigger brother. (Although the Modwright version of the Sonica DAC sounds wonderful...if the price of admission weren't so steep I would consider it more seriously.)

Unfortunately I needed $$$ and sold the PS Audio.
Had I known... :D

Not really DAC/bridge related, but I redid my entire network in the house this past January, including a wireless access point that has given me surprisingly really good speeds throughout the house with very few low-strength spots. No mesh WiFi needed. But despite that, I've been running a single Ethernet cable to each room with multiple devices in it and using a switch in each room to split it up as needed. I like that it takes a lot of guesswork out of whether or not it's a WiFi issue, but I realize not everyone has the means to run Ethernet.

A brand new La Quinta I stayed at in South Jordan, UT actually used mesh WiFi (by Ubiquiti) and that was the strongest and most reliable WiFi I've ever had in a hotel.

Had I known... :D

Not really DAC/bridge related, but I redid my entire network in the house this past January, including a wireless access point that has given me surprisingly really good speeds throughout the house with very few low-strength spots. No mesh WiFi needed. But despite that, I've been running a single Ethernet cable to each room with multiple devices in it and using a switch in each room to split it up as needed. I like that it takes a lot of guesswork out of whether or not it's a WiFi issue, but I realize not everyone has the means to run Ethernet.

A brand new La Quinta I stayed at in South Jordan, UT actually used mesh WiFi (by Ubiquiti) and that was the strongest and most reliable WiFi I've ever had in a hotel.
Can you share with us which access point you installed? Mine appears to be dying, after 10 years of service...

Back
Top Bottom