Audio Technica AT11E

Cylontymany

There are so many variants of this cart I was wondering which one if any is the best one or are they all the same depending on the stylus of course! LPGear has an AT331e which is the latest variant I believe. Also I think the Jico .3x.7 elliptical seems to be a good choice over the stock one. Any thoughts?

I have the .2x.7 Pfanstiehl 629 DE on my 11E and it sounds excellent for how cheap it is. Others have reported good results also. I may actually prefer it to my AT 120E.

I got mine on Ebay. They also have them at: http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

Sorry, but I don't know for sure if any of the bodies are better than another. I'd also bet they are all the same internally with the stylus being the only difference. Someone else here should know.

Among AT bodies they are not the same. The AT11 was the forerunner of the 110, just like the 13 was the forerunner of the 130/140, which predates the 440 ... They made changes to the windings as they progressed.

I have a JICO on my 11e and love it. The EVG marcmorin suggested is a JICO. It's a great deal for a fantastic stylus.

So that one for sure will fit the AT10 family? I'd love to hear a shootout between them, since I have a 629-DE and it's probably my best cart/stylus.
yep.........fits 'em all. However, the original 12XE is still available, albeit at a much higher price of admission. That's the closest I've found in performance to the original.

have you tried the 629-de? i'd think a 2x7 stylus would be better than a 3x7, unless something else is at play...

doug s.

what's at play is the minor radius. The smaller, the further it can get into the modulation (left /right). Having said that, there isn't a piece of vinyl that a stone with a minor radius of .3mil cannot read.
The original minor radius of the Shibata was .3mil, would read the 40K or what ever carrier signal was cut into quad. A more critical parameter is the relief cut in the stone at the leading and trailing sides.
Which is what was accomplished with the Shibata. meaning there was less chance of the leading side of the stone to come into contact with the modulation before the scanning area did. That was furthered with the fine-line/micro-line etal, as relief on the trailing side was greater than the shibata, furthered still with the micro ridge design. Due to the amount of vertical scanning area of the minor radius, the minor radius could be made smaller, yet create bigger contact patch which reduces wear on the stone, and vinyl due to less pressure on both.

what's at play is the minor radius. The smaller, the further it can get into the modulation (left /right). Having said that, there isn't a piece of vinyl that a stone with a minor radius of .3mil cannot read.
The original minor radius of the Shibata was .3mil, would read the 40K or what ever carrier signal was cut into quad. A more critical parameter is the relief cut in the stone at the leading and trailing sides.
Which is what was accomplished with the Shibata. meaning there was less chance of the leading side of the stone to come into contact with the modulation before the scanning area did. That was furthered with the fine-line/micro-line etal, as relief on the trailing side was greater than the shibata, furthered still with the micro ridge design. Due to the amount of vertical scanning area of the minor radius, the minor radius could be made smaller, yet create bigger contact patch which reduces wear on the stone, and vinyl due to less pressure on both.
yes, i understand this. but wouldn't a 2x7 elliptical stylus still have a bigger contact patch than a 3x7, providing the same tracking and wear benefits as its more costly fine-line/shibata brethren?

doug s.

yes, i understand this. but wouldn't a 2x7 elliptical stylus still have a bigger contact patch than a 3x7, providing the same tracking and wear benefits as its more costly fine-line/shibata brethren?

doug s.

Pi R Sq. or 2 X 2 X .7854 = 3.1416 vs 3 X 3 X .7854 = 7.0686. a .3mil contact patch has more than double surface area than a .2mil contact patch. load on the .3mil (psi) would be less than half the load on the .2mil

Pi R Sq. or 2 X 2 X .7854 = 3.1416 vs 3 X 3 X .7854 = 7.0686. a .3mil contact patch has more than double surface area than a .2mil contact patch. load on the .3mil (psi) would be less than half the load on the .2mil
well, my investigations indicate you are correct regarding the contact patch of a 3x7 being greater than a 2x7. (and a 4x7's contact patch is even greater.) but, it's not nearly as much as you state; in fact it's much smaller - only about an 8% difference. but the relationship between length and width of the contact area is almost 20% greater, which means that it will track better; probably enough so that you can reduce the tracking force by at least enough to make up for the additional load difference.
Stylidiagrams.jpg

doug s.

they're showing it to be an oval contact patch of 2 wide, 7 high vs 3 wide 7 high in D and E, but not A.

they're showing it to be an oval contact patch of 2 wide, 7 high vs 3 wide 7 high in D and E, but not A.
'a' is simply a schematic drawing. what's important is the actual data. and, the reality is, w/the conical & elliptical styli, the actual contact point from least to most varies from 28um for the .5 conical to 42um for the .4x.7 elliptical. so, it's not all that inaccurate, regarding the the visual depictions...

doug s.

'a' is simply a schematic drawing. what's important is the actual data. and, the reality is, w/the conical & elliptical styli, the actual contact point from least to most varies from 28um for the .5 conical to 42um for the .4x.7 elliptical. so, it's not all that inaccurate, regarding the the visual depictions...

doug s.
however, for the line contacts, they are showing extended length in A

Back
Top Bottom