Semi-Easy to Use DAW?

Me Tarzan

EARTH
Looking for a DAW that will not require getting a degree to make simple recordings. I will be using Windows 10 with a Zoom R16 as the interface. I have been experimenting with Reaper for a week or so but it's seems just too damn buggy and complicated. Getting the input/output settings dialed was a challenge. Making simple acoustic guitar recording with condenser mic wasn't too bad. The recordings themselves have too many random electrical pops and clicks that I am having too much trouble cleaning up. Used Garage Band maybe 10 years ago and it was simple and easy. Can anyone recommend something similar for Windows 10? Man I just really want to record a few tracks and not strain my brain editing them.

:lurk:

I remember many years ago playing with a demo that was laid out like an 8 track portastudio which was stupid simple to use.
I never did get the full licensed version though. I'd love to find something like that, and cheap would be cool:D

I was always a fan of FL studio (fruity loops).
It’s cheap, easy to learn, has a decent built in wav editor and handled plugins just fine.

I was always a fan of FL studio (fruity loops).
It’s cheap, easy to learn, has a decent built in wav editor and handled plugins just fine.

I remember FL 15 years ago when it was just a bunch of loops... I will check it out.

I remember FL 15 years ago when it was just a bunch of loops... I will check it out.
I used it between around 2007 to 2015 when I stopped making music. It’s a multi-track daw capable and of everything the bigger name ones are in an easier to use (at least for me) format.

Just wondering, if you're looking to make simple recordings why not just use the Zoom R16 on it's own? Is it too limited?

Just wondering, if you're looking to make simple recordings why not just use the Zoom R16 on it's own? Is it too limited?

I just want to be able to do more complex editing to my simple tracks. Cut, paste, fade, effects, etc... Nice to see it all on the screen before your eyes. I was considering Acoustica, but I think I had a breakthrough with Reaper.

Yeah, the editing part is really really what gives computer software the edge.
I thought it would be so cool if someone designed a standalone recorder like the R16 but with the option of connecting a mouse, keyboard and monitor and let you have the best of both worlds all in one package without a separate computer.

Do you use a midi keyboard controller in your setup?
I've been looking to get an inexpensive 2 to 3 octave keyboard, full or medium sized keys, not mini.
Still not sure what features I really need. Seems like everybody and their mother makes one.

No I don't really use one. I have a full size MIDI keyboard but no way to connect it or no reason really. It's basically just a toy and I would just use the analog outs if I needed to record it. My setup is pretty minimal.

One word ... Cuebase.

NO FRUTI LOOPS the DAW work around download it specifically says to Uninstall the FL Studio ASIO.

Your Zoom uses ASIO drivers and Mackie Control Protocol both compatible with Cuebase.
Follow the posted link in the software section and update your firmware v1.21 and then down load the drivers Ver 2.1.0 for Windows 10.

https://zoom-na.com/products/produc...orders/zoom-r16-recorder-interface-controller

The key to using any DAW is READ all of the manual make sure you have the correct firmware and drivers installed before you try to do anything!
Also make sure you are using approved (compatible) SDHC cards.
Often you will need to optimize your computer buy turning on or off certain functions in your computers software that run in the background that will either aid or hinder the performance of the DAW.
Example in the DAW work around download it says to Uninstall the FL Studio ASIO.
Good luck it seems like as of dec 2016 they were still supporting the R16 with down lands and updates!
Cheers
PQ

One word ... Cuebase.

NO FRUTI LOOPS the DAW work around download it specifically says to Uninstall the FL Studio ASIO.

Your Zoom uses ASIO drivers and Mackie Control Protocol both compatible with Cuebase.
Follow the posted link in the software section and update your firmware v1.21 and then down load the drivers Ver 2.1.0 for Windows 10.

https://zoom-na.com/products/produc...orders/zoom-r16-recorder-interface-controller

The key to using any DAW is READ all of the manual make sure you have the correct firmware and drivers installed before you try to do anything!
Also make sure you are using approved (compatible) SDHC cards.
Often you will need to optimize your computer buy turning on or off certain functions in your computers software that run in the background that will either aid or hinder the performance of the DAW.
Example in the DAW work around download it says to Uninstall the FL Studio ASIO.
Good luck it seems like as of dec 2016 they were still supporting the R16 with down lands and updates!
Cheers
PQ

Thanks for reply! And yes the Zoom R16 initially (years ago) came with a trial version of Cubase that I never used so that makes sense that they would work together well. I actually have Reaper going now and learning the basics. Problem is I keep getting popping in the tracks that I was led to believe is probably mismatched sample rates converting on the fly. I matched every rate I could find at 96kHz but still get the clicks. I was all set to download trial of Acoustica Mixcraft 8, heard it is simple (cheap) and works with the Zoom. Cubase looks to be anywhere from $100 to $550 depending on the version. I don't need thousands of sounds or virtual instrument. I just want to be able to easily record clean tracks, cut them up if needed, paste them back, add simple reverb/chorus/compression/eq and export a final stereo track. Easy right? Ha! I will look into Cubase more after work. Thanks again for reply.

Thanks for reply! And yes the Zoom R16 initially (years ago) came with a trial version of Cubase that I never used so that makes sense that they would work together well. I actually have Reaper going now and learning the basics. Problem is I keep getting popping in the tracks that I was led to believe is probably mismatched sample rates converting on the fly. I matched every rate I could find at 96kHz but still get the clicks. I was all set to download trial of Acoustica Mixcraft 8, heard it is simple (cheap) and works with the Zoom. Cubase looks to be anywhere from $100 to $550 depending on the version. I don't need thousands of sounds or virtual instrument. I just want to be able to easily record clean tracks, cut them up if needed, paste them back, add simple reverb/chorus/compression/eq and export a final stereo track. Easy right? Ha! I will look into Cubase more after work. Thanks again for reply.

If it was me I would download the free trail version of Cuebase Elements and see if it solves your problems...What do you have to lose?
Did you register the copy of Cuebase that came with your Zoom?
If so contact Stienberg you may be able to upgrade your old version to a new one at a discount.

As someone who has spent days and even weeks chasing down ghosts in the machine as I like to call them (pops, clicks, random crashes,etc.)
I found there is definitely value to me to have something up to date and that simply does what its supposed to do.
The fact that any 10 year old piece of digital recording equipment is still supported and runs is pretty much unheard of good for Zoom!
10 years is usually considered the life of any digital piece of equipment i am impressed that Zoom still offers support on what most companies would consider a "Legacy" product.
The $100 to update and have everything runs as it should a bargain in my book.
That boils down to about $10 a year or 36 cents a day and the difference in features ,GUI and ease of work flow will be night and day from 10 year old software.

Also once you own the basic version of any soft ware the company that writes the software often gives deep discounts to upgrade to the next level.

Anyway good luck
PQ

PS. Red Book CD standard is 16 bit /44.1 sampling rate... recording beyond 24/48 is a waste of data storage and very taxing on your CPU.
I personally track to tape then transfer to my DAW at 24/48 to do my mixing and editing then dither down to 16/44.

Last edited:
I just read this on the Zoom R8 site....
  • Records 16-bit/24-bit, 44.1kHz/48kHz mono and stereo WAV files
So if you are clocking at sample rate of 96K when you tracked....Well theres where your clicks and pops are coming from.
Your interface does not support recording or play back at that sample rate...no mater what DAW you use.
Hope this helps
PQ

I just read this on the Zoom R8 site....
  • Records 16-bit/24-bit, 44.1kHz/48kHz mono and stereo WAV files
So if you are clocking at sample rate of 96K when you tracked....Well theres where your clicks and pops are coming from.
Your interface does not support recording or play back at that sample rate...no mater what DAW you use.
Hope this helps
PQ

You may be right. But I think the record specs are lower than the interface specs. When using as an interface the display always switches to 96K even if I lower it in Reaper. So I have been trying to sync Reaper and Zoom at 96K/24bit. I think 24bit is the max for either recording or interface. Are the DAW and the interface the only two things that need to match or is there a computer audio device needing to be set somewhere as well? Considering Cubase and Mixcraft now. Both have trials but I don't want to waste trial until after holidays. I have read Mixcraft is really simple and it also comes with Melodyne. Thanks again for the assistance. I have a triple album that has been playing in my head (and to my birds) for over 20 years that has to come out!

I use Felt Tip Software - Sound Studio, for Mac.
http://felttip.com
I love it. Its simplistic, and, can be made more complex without making you feel inadequate.
I also use Reaper for rendering mixes and sometimes for dither/sample changes (and agree it is complicated).

I use Felt Tip Software - Sound Studio, for Mac.
http://felttip.com
I love it. Its simplistic, and, can be made more complex without making you feel inadequate.
I also use Reaper for rendering mixes and sometimes for dither/sample changes (and agree it is complicated).

Correct me if I am wrong but as you post points out Sound Studio for Mac is a Mac only DAW.
The Op is running OS windows 10
Minimum System Requirements
  • Mac computer with an Intel processor.
  • 1GB of RAM. (2GB recommended.)
  • OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) or later.
Learning to use a DAW is complicated. I had to go back to Community college for 2 years to educate myself on how to be functional in the digital studio when things switched from tape to ADAT and early DAWS.
Back then there was no you tube ,on line user forums or internet tutorials.

The good news there is today and Zoom even has videos on how to to set up cuebase and the R8 together.
There is a learning curve but if you want to make quality recording is going to take some effort to educate yourself.
If you want real simple record yourself on your phone using any of the recording apps available.

Cheers
PQ

PS. Yes! everything has tp be clocked together at same bit depth and sample rate or you will have never ending problems. You can convert small and bit rate but that requires you to be fairly knowledgeable working with your Daw.

Last edited:
I work mostly in ProTools 95% I occasionally work in Cubase and Logic if that what the client session is based and they wish too keep it in that DAW.

What I am starting to see a lot of is PreSonus Studio One users.
It is the fastest growing DAW out there and a lot of ProTools users are defecting to Studio One because of the new Protools annual subscription model of fees for update and upgrades.
Studio one was founded by former Steinberg employees Wolfgang Kundrus and Matthias Juwan.
Kundrus was one of the developers for initial versions of Cubase, and established concepts for the first version of Nuendo.
So it should be at lot like Cubase.

Studio One is professional grade, user friendly and .....Are you ready for it?
Even FREE for the basic "Prime" version

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-4-Prime

I have never seen a MixCraft session come from any clients so I can't offer any opinion.
It may be just what your looking for.
It looks to be designed & targeted for musicians.
Rather than professional studios with experienced engineers. That often do post production and mastering work and need more than just the basics.
So if you are planning to do everything yourself and not worried about compatibility with other studios or musicians its worth trying out..

There is also a basic free version of ProTools
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first

Cheers
PQ

Big fan of Reaper here. I don't find it to be buggy myself. It has an awesome community of people that use it and it's infinitely tweakable. :)

I don't know if this is the best place to put this but I'm looking to record with my computer also. I make too many mistakes to be a live performer, but strictly using a guitar, maybe a bass guitar and drum tracks, I like the idea of putting songs together. I only have two full songs I've come up with so far and a lot of bits and pieces that have potential. So I just want to put songs together with decent quality, maybe simply throw them out on Youtube, something like that and hopefully see a few, "wow that was cool!" replies. I don't even have an interface, I was told Focusrite was pretty good, is it? Some packages come with a mic and I'd like to have one to add sounds to recordings that may not be from instruments and manipulate those sounds with software. And yeah I'd like some decent software to learn and work with. I'll look into some mentioned in this thread. I've had my LesPaul since the mid 1980s(1977 model) and it's only really been in recent years that I started playing it more, I just have more time now. I also bought my first acoustic guitar a year ago. So what do you think about the Focusrite interface, anybody?

Back
Top Bottom