PWK K33E woofers

More curious if they would make good alternative woofers for my HPM150 cabs. Thank you though
Might be a good match-up.

Might also draw the ire of die-hard Klipsch and/or Pioneer owners.:D

Definitely worth a try, though. Nice to be able to try without having to spend the money first. I'm sure those more knowledgeable will chime in.

Might be a good match-up.

Might also draw the ire of die-hard Klipsch and/or Pioneer owners.:D

Definitely worth a try, though. Nice to be able to try without having to spend the money first. I'm sure those more knowledgeable will chime in.
I figured the loyalist might not like it. Nor do I actually. However, the original drivers are gone and I’m having trouble finding “reasonable” originals. Found the K33E and thought they might work with decent sound. I’m new to this and beyond, on a budget!!

Might also draw the ire of die-hard Klipsch and/or Pioneer owners

No ire here (Klipsch owner since 1979)

I don't know how it would work...what's the size of the HPM verses the Cornwall? Since the Cornwall uses the K33 as a dynamic driver, it might work. Some folks absolutely adore the sound of the Cornwall.

Same driver is then used in their LaScala / Khorn speakers where it's horn loaded.

They're fairly inexpensive so buying one might allow you to try.

The company however, might not sell them to you. I think they want a serial number before they will 'replace' a driver. Maybe I'm wrong....

If that is correct (that Klipsch won't sell them to you), you can contact Bob Crites. He's got a direct replacement for them....essentially same driver with his name on it verses theirs. He also has a cast frame version. Cost a bit more. I personally don't know if it "sounds" any better or just looks better.

No ire here (Klipsch owner since 1979)

I don't know how it would work...what's the size of the HPM verses the Cornwall? Since the Cornwall uses the K33 as a dynamic driver, it might work. Some folks absolutely adore the sound of the Cornwall.

Same driver is then used in their LaScala / Khorn speakers where it's horn loaded.

They're fairly inexpensive so buying one might allow you to try.

The company however, might not sell them to you. I think they want a serial number before they will 'replace' a driver. Maybe I'm wrong....

If that is correct (that Klipsch won't sell them to you), you can contact Bob Crites. He's got a direct replacement for them....essentially same driver with his name on it verses theirs. He also has a cast frame version. Cost a bit more. I personally don't know if it "sounds" any better or just looks better.
I have found a pair out of the cabinets and appears to be in pretty good shape. I’m still trying to strike a deal but don’t want to pursue it much if they’re not suitable

I have found a pair out of the cabinets and appears to be in pretty good shape. I’m still trying to strike a deal but don’t want to pursue it much if they’re not suitable
Was also unsure if they were designed for ported box or sealed.

I have found a pair out of the cabinets and appears to be in pretty good shape.

I personally can't speak to their suitability.... I don't know.

That said, I have also bought some used K33's and frankly, my experience has been it's hit or miss. I bought some off the Klipsch forum and those seemed to be as advertised. I bought another one (I think from Ebay but honestly, am not sure) and it had all the accolades of being so wonderful...... and it's DOA when I get it. Actually, it wasn't "dead" per se', but rather the voice coil was clearly rubbing. Still....it wasn't really as advertised and someone was dumping their junk.

I tossed it and chalked it up to a life lesson and moved on.... deciding that if/when I ever need another one, I'm just going to get a new replacement and not worrying about saving the $20. (they are only something like $150 "new" from Klipsch. (not sure of price but they are NOT "$1,000" drivers)

The Cornwall is ported and it uses the K33. The LaScala/Khorn use the K33 and they're horn loaded. The MWM bass bin can use the K33 and it's a horn. I can't think of any sealed speaker they use it in.

I know the driver has been improved but when used in the MWM boxes they would all fail quite regularly because the leads from the terminals to voice coil were to short and not strong enough, and yes I used a high pass filter. We ended up cutting down Altec 515 HPLN and 3156 16 in. frames to 15 inches.and installed them. The 515's could handle 250 watts and the 3156 600 watts above 35 HZ. The 515's were 2 db more efficient. The 3156 seemed to have a sharper attack which was great for discos. Now I never had a K33 fail in a La Scala,. Belle, Cornwall or K horn. I have forgotten but there were some models that used the heavier K43 woofer. I had no troubles with those either. As long as you use the appropriate high pass filter you should be very happy with Klipsch woofers. The problem back when was the EV T-35 tweeter Klipsch was using. They were only rated around 7 watts rms. Disco music with electronic sound effects and deaf DJ.s were always frying the tweeters.. Even with the new crossovers with the 3rd order filters the tweeters didn't hold up very well. The later tweeters Klipsch made or had made held up much better. A Disco in Juarez with split La Scala tops I removed the T-35 tweeter and added 3 more wired in series parallel to stop tweeter failures.

Last edited:

Serials not needed - I bought a set from Klipsch - they just need a credit card number.

The 33s like a big box to really perform well. In the Cornwall, they go quite well, in the La Scala, they are very accurate, but do not go down very low.

I think of a La Scala as a augmented PA speaker. 70 to 17,ooo hZ. with the drivers from the 70's and early 80's, models later on had much superior tweeter and improved mid performance. I loved LA Scala for small discos. Just combine them with either two MWM-s or Double 18" subs from Gauss, Altec, or EV. The MWM used a lot less power if we had the space. We used two MC 2200's or MC 2205's. One for the 4 La Scala and one for the two MWM-S, with 35 HZ high pass filters on either the Urei or Rane equalizers. We used a Urei modular crossover with the frequency set at 70 cycles with a 18 db per octave slope to protect the Klipsch woofers and to keep the MWM from color ing the La Scala upper bass and lower midrange produced by the woofer. I consider anything above middle C as midrange. 261.63 HZ. I wish Klipsch midrange horns were long enough and big enough to reach that low. I much preferred the sound of a La Scala to an A-7. Yes the La Scala didn't have the bass potential of the A-7 but the over all sound wasn't colored like an A-7 either. Just throw in a supplemental woofer and the La Scala combo could easily out perform A-7. The A-7 was basically a small theatre speaker and did not produce highs that well or bass below 50 HZ either and the midrange sounds around 500 to 1 Khz were so colored. So except for PA uses the A-7 need subs, too unless stuck in a big corner and then you might get down to bit below 40. When we had to reinforce guitar or other musical instruments in concerts and the Symphony guild wanted an intimate sound I much preferred La Scala and for less dynamic instruments Cornwalls over A 7. And they looked nice. I would always stack either La Scala or Cornwalls with the top unit inverted, for amplifying, Concert Harp, 12 string Guitar, solo violin, viola,, or Cello that needed help. One time They needed help with a Solo Bassoonist, and the two Corn walls performed with great realism with very little effort . A7 and bassoon=. four letter word, four letter word and more four letter words. So I admire the little La Scala. I would never be happy with it in a home as a stereo speaker, but as a sophisticated PA Speaker it was a great performer. We use to use two or three at Comedy Playhouses depending on the design of the stage. Oh another instruments that La Scala worked great with . Banjo's and Ukulele . Who was the entertainer who played the Ukulele, and I'm not thinking of Ted Mack, that's a name out of the Past. One of the Smother Brothers or was it Jerry ???? Van Dyke.

La Scala were perfect for barber shop Quartets, too.

Last edited:
Interesting post twiiii.

I use La Scalas for my living room system which is 99% TV/Movies and they are great for that. Not so much for music - in that case prefer the Cornwalls.

I figured the loyalist might not like it. Nor do I actually. However, the original drivers are gone and I’m having trouble finding “reasonable” originals. Found the K33E and thought they might work with decent sound. I’m new to this and beyond, on a budget!!

Just looking to gain a little knowledge about these woofers and value. TIA
suggest that you search on line for the factory T/S parameters of the woofer you want to replace then compare that data to the data of the K33E and you will have your answer.
If you want to save some time is the speaker in question also a reflex design and is the woofer in question also a 15 inch woofer and is the cabinet about the same size as a Cornwall if you answered yes to all these questions then then you have a very good reasons to expect the K33E would be a woofer worth trying in your cabinet. If not revert to my first suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom