Advice/Information on Pioneer SA 9500 with key lock.

Point taken.
Cheers!
And Happy New Year.

I see folks with stacks and stacks of the same unit, maybe a pile of Marantz receivers and just wonder. A friend that collects some Pioneer Silver and Blue Light units and has recently expanded the collection to include a Kenwood, Sansui and Marantz works at a camera supply house. He says they get container after container of gear. It was exactly the same back in the day with stereo gear. Container after container full front to back with the same unit, the Pioneer SA-9500 for example going to the Pioneer warehouse. Then the dealers would order stock and depending on the store(s) in the group that might be a short stack of a few or half a damn semi- full of the same amps. Of course, for pricing the orders would be combined and they would receive the tuners, smaller amps and such. Heck many single store operations would order a full truck of Advent loudspeakers about Halloween to handle the Christmas rush. Large stores, multiple locations, maybe another truck in late November. Gear stacked to the rafters. Be nice to save em all but we can't and have to have a realistic view of the obsession of some of the AK faithful. I understand the lack of beauty of the lock on the faceplate but if that unit was jammed into a wall unit with no access and it had to have a lock on it, we are talking one of thousands got defaced like this. There were so many more that ended up looking like that Marantz receiver after the fire without having been in a fire because that is how some folks took care of their equipment.

Be nice to save em all but we can't and have to have a realistic view of the obsession of some of the AK faithful
Ok, now my story.... Here in Costa Rica, I have to work VERY hard to recover units, we're talking about basket cases, stuff that you probably just trash or part out, so when I see a nice unit like that with a ruined faceplate like that is just sad, This is from my very particular circumstance (hell I will fix it too. Probably use a lathe to fabricate a piece to fit in.:idea:)

But hey is just me and my circumstances .. as we can see we come from different places and have just a different ways to see things, what you see as a semi-disposable very common unit, I see a pretty cool one that I haven't seen in person ever.
I must add that I'm a sucker for those silver pioneer integrated, so there is not a small bias involved. For those reasons when I see a muppet doing what muppets do, seems very wrong to me.

That being said, every person is entailed to do whatever want with their property, but since the OP ask for opinions I give mine.

If it weren't for taxes, duty and corruption, a container of gear could be shipped from New Orleans fairly cheap and there would be a small flood of gear there. Probably get scooped up quick. I know a lot of this gear is going back to Asia as they have the money to buy it now. Maybe we should require US retirees to carry a few chunks of vintage to CR when they retire there instead of selling it.

Problem solved...

18NZ.gif

I don't think the key is such a big deal as long as it's done right. On the other hand, the store selling it seems to feel it adds significant value to it. I wouldn't pay nearly that much for one that hasn't been hacked up and having previously owned one, I am a fan of them.

Well thanks all. Very funny and informative. Yeah I think if I want it I could get them to come down on price, people do not seem to want "big" anymore and it's been there awhile. I think maybe it locks the volume knob? Or maybe a power switch? Maybe I will go take a drive down and find out exactly what it is and will get back to you. Probably will not buy, but I kind of like it actually. I will look into Pioneer key chains sregor. :). Can't seem to tear myself away from the Kenwood 1100D that I am currently using. I guess your posts answer my question, this is not a factory option, "That Thang Gotta Hemi? Sweet!"

Depends on how much you have invested in speakers or carts if you want to keep others from messing with your stuff. Take a few minutes to wire one into the power cord internally.

I didn't have problems with my gear and my kids, as they never had nor don't have absolutely any interest in Vintage Stereo. However my 6 year old Grandson has had an affinity for my 1963 FISHER EXECUTIVE Console from age 2. So I ran him thru operating it a few times until I was comfortable with him operating a FISHER 800c, a Garrard Type A MKII, and the AMPEX 1250 R2R. When he comes over he'll hook up his IPAD, or run a Tape, or a LP. My Avatar is him from Last year, in my PRO-4AA's which he uses when operating the FISHER.

He and my 7-1/2 year old Grand Daughter both have their own gear. Annabelle has a KLH-20 all in one. Will Has a Fisher 160-T receiver, a FISHER BSR Changer, and Minimus 7's. Both have Porta-pro headphones that Mom and Dad require them to use all the time. Their older 1/2 brother has a Sansui 2000X, a Miracord 50H, and KLH 17's. He has porta pro's also. Annabelle and Will have Pioneer PDM-403 6 CD players (cartridge units). So the Grandkids are having a ball with it. Eventually they'll get my tube gear as they get older.

Start them EARLY and OFTEN!

Back
Top Bottom