FrankenLeslie!

cheapo_eddy

Has it occurred to anyone else (who is as badly in need of a life as I am) to mate the tremolo unit out of an old organ (in this case, a sixties-vintage Lowrey) to a modern hi-fi speaker (i.e. an orphaned KEF with phase-aligned concentric 2-way driver) and stuff it all into an old Leslie cabinet?

I have done this, and initial tests with a Clavinova and a Casio set to "Fake B3" have proven gratifying.

More results to follow as time permits.

upload_2018-12-27_11-35-43.png

Has it occurred to anyone else (who is as badly in need of a life as I am) to mate the tremolo unit out of an old organ (in this case, a sixties-vintage Lowrey) to a modern hi-fi speaker (i.e. an orphaned KEF with phase-aligned concentric 2-way driver) and stuff it all into an old Leslie cabinet?

I have done this, and initial tests with a Clavinova and a Casio set to "Fake B3" have proven gratifying.

More results to follow as time permits.

View attachment 1368202

Maybe turn this project into a cool & unusual geetar amp?

Had a guitarist once who used a leslie. From what I can remember, it was a portable unit in chrome cylinder case.

^^^ toss in a tape-based Maestro Echoplex and you got a helluva fun "life" IMO. Well, those a few good geetars...

Didn't SRV use a Leslie cab amp, @ least in the recording studio, if not (also) on stage?

Not sure, this was the late 70s early 80s in Dallas, lol. We did mostly prog and he setup a Marshall half stack, Fender twin and the Leslie. Played a strat and a 335. (I remember he would play Gamma/Razor King like nobodies buisiness).

Not sure, this was the late 70s early 80s in Dallas, lol. We did mostly prog and he setup a Marshall half stack, Fender twin and the Leslie. Played a strat and a 335. (I remember he would play Gamma/Razor King like nobodies buisiness).

Didn't SRV also play out a (brown tolex, probably circa '59) Vibroverb? I was fortunate enough to have seen/heard him @ an early point in his career, in 1981, performing @ the inaugural FitzGerald's American Music Festival, held annually in Berwyn, Illinois. Pretty sure he was playing out of a brown Vibroverb amp, but can no longer recall whether he had the Leslie on hand that day.

Last edited:
Sorry. If these were drum questions I might know, I'm not a guitarist and know very little of what I see.

Back
Top Bottom