Heresy II, Blown Woofer. Replacement Suggestions

macaltec

Metal Master
Had a woofer give up on me last night. Not sure which way to go for a replacement.
1) Find a K24
2) Buy two K28E's
3) Bob Crites
4) Emminence Delta 12LFA
5) Open to suggestion based on similar experience

Thanks

What the **** were you doing to blow a k24?
they're tough as hell.
it would be good to find another k24.
If you change to k28, which is a good idea, it will require crossover changes.
A pair of H2 to H3 conversion kits would be my recommendation.

I wasnt doing anything ludicrous. Using my Sansui G6000 at a moderate volume. Thinking back on the situation I was fiddling with Spotify settings and heard a faint kinda fuzzy scratchy sound in the right channel before I started the music. Makes me wonder if perhaps the DC offset is in need of adjustment or maybe something else is amiss with the right channel. Anyway, it is out of service now and is another problem for another time. And perhaps it was a coincidence and the woofer had reached the end of its life for whatever reason.

I really liked these speakers, more than I thought I would. My interest is mostly in not having to spend too much time messing with them and just getting back to enjoying them so that really eliminates all but finding a K24 and the Crites replacement. I doubt I will go to the auction site for a K24 so I would have to find one here on AK or locally. I do have some Delta 12LFAs that I suppose I could try. Their F3 in a slightly smaller box is 85Hz so I wouldn't expect much. Plus there's the time and messing around issue again. So, who out there has tried the Crites replacement woofers?

before you buy a new driver take your soldering iron and re flow the tinsel lead joints on the terminal tab as you may only have a cold joint. Re flow both joints with a little fresh solder. Cost you nothing but your time and may save you a bundle.

Good idea Moray. I checked for a loose/broken connection. I also checked the resistance on the tinsel leads as well as at the terminals. Its worth a shot.

Makes me wonder if perhaps the DC offset is in need of adjustment or maybe something else is amiss with the right channel.
Have you checked the DC offset yet? It would be a good idea to verify it is within specs before you plug in your Heresy.

I have not checked it. I have been using this combo on and off for a couple years now. Its stays set up. The Heresys get rotated in and out with a few other pairs of speakers. Now it's just one more piece of vintage gear added to the pile that someday will have to be tended to.

Cant believe no one has anything to say about the Crites woofers.

My college son also blew a Heresy II woofer (and both tweeters :rolleyes:). I found one pretty quickly on eBay for reasonable money. It’s the easiest fix.

With regard to the potential issue with the Sansui, I have rotated in the following gear and heard the same suspect noise, Fisher KX90, Pioneer Sx939, Sansui 7070 and Carver preamp/HK Citation 19 amp. I believe the noise to be coming from Schiit Modi Multibit. It doesn't not do it with other sources. Now the sound I hear is usually associated with starting a track or between tracks. Sitting idle it is quiet. Nonetheless I will be checking the G6000 DC offset soon.

It's still dead. I was hopeful for a few minutes though.
did you actually re flow the joints on the terminal tab? It's a "hail Mary" but it only takes moments. I say this because I have experienced the same situation and was ready to make a big fridge magnet and was able to salvage a good driver.

Just got these last week, Heresy II with bass.....

Attachments

• 56728703307__BC464BD0-0E2E-45A4-B673-84449CA11EA2.JPG
    56728703307__BC464BD0-0E2E-45A4-B673-84449CA11EA2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom