Found this at the re-store in a pile next to dumpster

Cathead45

There it sat in a pile next to the dumpster. I looked at it and almost left it there. Brought it home plugged it in and nothing! I opened it up blew out the controls with compressed air and gave each one a shot of DeoxIT then let it set for about an hour. plugged it in again and the one face light lit up. I then started to work all the controls for the next hour. At that time I hooked up my Bose 201's (because I did not care if I blew them) and sure enough the left channel played FM. Gave it another healthy shot of DeoxIT and worked that in for another 1/2 hour. Well at that time both channels were working. Pulled the plug and gave it a deep clean and other than 2 panel lights and the signal meter every thing is working as it should. Have been playing it for about 4 to 5 hours for the last few days and this thing rocks! Its better to be lucky than good at times.

Attachments

• SX 650 B1.jpg
    SX 650 B1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 375
  • SX 650 IB1.jpg
    SX 650 IB1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 329
  • SX 650 BB1 - Copy.jpg
    SX 650 BB1 - Copy.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 332
  • SX 650 A1.jpg
    SX 650 A1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 353
  • SX 650 BA1.jpg
    SX 650 BA1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 330
  • SX 650 IA1 - Copy.jpg
    SX 650 IA1 - Copy.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 337
The SX650 was one of the best selling Pioneer receivers ever! I worked for them from 1977 to 1996 and remember it well. Highly promoted in all the leading stereo magazines of the day! Consumer Reports downgraded the "650" due to the horizontal input jacks on the back panel allegedly being prone to dust contamination. So, the Marketing Dept. made a trip to Consumers Union in NY and explained why we did certain things like the unconventional input/output/ac jacks positioning. It made It way easier to connect components when you could simply lean over the receiver and look straight down at the jacks! As long as you used all or the majority of inputs, dust wouldn't be a problem! These were great units and are still popular today. Great find! And, fantastic cleanup job by you!

Nice save .
Disheartening these don’t get more respect . I found one down the street from me in the original box .

That thing was ultra filthy, but looks like it ended up in the right hands. Congrats, and plan on a full recap for maximum benefit and longevity.

Or.....play it til it blows up. Hell, you're not out anything but elbow grease.

Oh, and those bulbs up top are simple to replace. Someone on ebay sells them, and maybe here as well. If all else fails, I think I still have a few.

All it needs are some feet so that it can get some air into the bottom, and you should be set.

That thing was ultra filthy, but looks like it ended up in the right hands. Congrats, and plan on a full recap for maximum benefit and longevity.

Or.....play it til it blows up. Hell, you're not out anything but elbow grease.

Oh, and those bulbs up top are simple to replace. Someone on ebay sells them, and maybe here as well. If all else fails, I think I still have a few.

.....especially the power supply and amplifier boards. It's better if you up the voltage on the caps in these areas. Anything under 50v I replaced with 50v. Anything 50v, replace with 63v. Start with the power supply......

There it sat in a pile next to the dumpster. I looked at it and almost left it there. Brought it home plugged it in and nothing! I opened it up blew out the controls with compressed air and gave each one a shot of DeoxIT then let it set for about an hour. plugged it in again and the one face light lit up. I then started to work all the controls for the next hour. At that time I hooked up my Bose 201's (because I did not care if I blew them) and sure enough the left channel played FM. Gave it another healthy shot of DeoxIT and worked that in for another 1/2 hour. Well at that time both channels were working. Pulled the plug and gave it a deep clean and other than 2 panel lights and the signal meter every thing is working as it should. Have been playing it for about 4 to 5 hours for the last few days and this thing rocks! Its better to be lucky than good at times.

How do you clean a unit that is coated in grunge like that? Some dust will come off by spraying air at it, other stuff will need to be wiped, right? Are you using a soft paintbrush with some type of cleaner?

Nice save & cleanup!

Doesn't look like dust/grime on the faceplate around the speaker and volume knobs, either. Looks like nicotine stain,...can't imagine the previous owner's lungs.

At the hospice warehouse where I volunteer, I sometimes find stuff in the electronics recycling dumpster. A while back, I pulled a nice pair of Mordaunt Short speakers from there and all they needed were surrounds replacing. The AR90s I found were also about to go in the dumpster.....

Back
Top Bottom