Headphone amp burn-in?

Gene Wiseman

This is probably a stupid question but do amps need a burn-in time? I recently bought a Schiit Magni headphone amp and it seemed to be kind of lacking at the low end. I have been considering buying a Schiit Loki equalizer to adjust for records that seem to need a little more bass or to knock the harshness off of the high end. After listening to it for a few days, it seems like the bass has gotten better and the highs aren't as harsh either. I am just using a cheap pair of Samson SR850 headphones but I have had them for a while and they are already broken in. Is it just my imagination or has my amp improved after being used a while?
Thanks a lot,
Gene

Some have experienced burn in on gear. Others have not and claim it doesn't happen. If to your ears burn in made a change then it did for you.

I have experienced burn in on multiple devices. Most of the time the differences have been small and subtle. Once, I heard a major difference with a portable CD player. The sound changed drastically from one selection to the next. The portable was connected to my main system.

The only burn in I've heard is with new tubes. They do get better with a few hours on them. However, I think I have heard SS equipment get better with some time on them. I do think it was more my ears than the equipment though.

If you have a different pair of headphones, give them a try. It's not very expensive and if you went up to one of the tubed units, you could tailor the sound by trying different tubes.

Thanks for the replies. Since posting the question, I have done some research and the opinions seem to be split down the middle. I would write it off as the placebo effect if I had been expecting the amp to burn in but I didn't ever consider it. I still have to consider the fact that I wasn't used to the flat response of the amp as compared to what I was used to. My ears might have just needed to adjust to the difference. What I really need to do is compare my amp to another Schiit Magni 3 fresh out of the box. I am probably over thinking it and should just enjoy my setup. It is the best sounding system that I have ever had regardless.
Thanks again!
Gene

Back
Top Bottom