Minolta X 700

If it works, I think you did alright. If I were getting into film again I'd have looked for a fully mechanical camera ie one the doesn't rely on a battery to fire the shutter. Not sure if the one you got falls into that category or not.
Being retired myself, I find film is just too dang pricey to fool with so I stick to digital.

If it works, I think you did alright. If I were getting into film again I'd have looked for a fully mechanical camera ie one the doesn't rely on a battery to fire the shutter. Not sure if the one you got falls into that category or not.
Being retired myself, I find film is just too dang pricey to fool with so I stick to digital.
Yeah it takes film and uses batteries and I just ordered a Photography 4 Dummies book. Just something to do.

I'd recommend you look for a Minolta SRT-101 or 102 as they are purely mechanical re the shutter firing. Old electronics can go bad (duh, this site is all about old electronics). You don't need the meter in the 101/102 to work while the shutter still does because it's mechanical.
Have fun and post some pics when you can.

The Minolta X 700 was rated by pros & amateurs as the most popular camera during its manufactured run.
I own two of them. They still work perfectly. Now all you need to do is find film to purchase & find someone to develop
the film (unless you plan to develop & print your own film.)

Those Chinar lenses have a bit of a following being that they are low contrast and often a bit "soft".

What brand is the (I assume) zoom?

My ex had an X700 for years, but I was the primary user.
I liked the camera. It was very compact but ergonomic.
It was quite advanced for its time with the P-mode.

MD lenses are still widely available and very high quality.
Compared to Nikon or Canon lenses of the time, the MDs are inexpensive.
Once you are sure that the camera is fully functional as-is, I would buy the 50mm/f1.4 prime lens that fits it.
It was a nice sharp, fast lens.

IIRC you can use the older MC lenses with it as well, but only in manual mode.

I would suggest you look for the Minolta Maxxum series. Their lenses fit the Sony digital bodies. You will soon find yourself wanting to go digital. I have bought several bodies and lenses at really good prices and they work great on my Sony.

Last edited:
My ex had an X700 for years, but I was the primary user.
I liked the camera. It was very compact but ergonomic.
It was quite advanced for its time with the P-mode.

MD lenses are still widely available and very high quality.
Compared to Nikon or Canon lenses of the time, the MDs are inexpensive.
Once you are sure that the camera is fully functional as-is, I would buy the 50mm/f1.4 prime lens that fits it.
It was a nice sharp, fast lens.

IIRC you can use the older MC lenses with it as well, but only in manual mode.
It came with that lens,it was tucked in the Chinar 28mm box.

Those Chinar lenses have a bit of a following being that they are low contrast and often a bit "soft".

What brand is the (I assume) zoom?
Hoya Sigma 75-250mm but the writing on the lens is Minolta

Last edited:
Replaced the batteries shutters now work. Replaced batteries in Vivitar flash it works.
Bought a X700 manual off the bay.

Enjoy. I had an X 300 and upgraded to the X 700 and still have it. have not used it for years as digital canon is just so convenient. The X 700 is great with a battery pack - just feels better ergonomically. You dont have to use the automatic advance winder. I have exactly the same Vivitar flash - perfect match for the camera. If you have access to a 35 mm slide projector and can find film and folks to process give that a go. Still the best pictures IMHO

I still have my X700, as well, bought new in 1985. I have the stock 50 mm lense that came with the camera body plus a Tamron 70-210 mm zoom, Tamron 2x teleconverter, and a Vivitar flash. I took many hundreds of pictures with that camera, but sadly it hasn't been used in maybe 15 years now.

Back
Top Bottom