Rotel 1072 vs. Music Hall CD25, which one?

bionic

Both are available locally with the Rotel running $300 cad and a rebadged Music Hall for $200 cad. Which one would you let follow you home?

Both are available locally with the Rotel running $300 cad and a rebadged Music Hall for $200 cad. Which one would you let follow you home?

I haven't heard the Music Hall but I have the 1072 and like it a lot. Black background, if it's the only CDP I had to use I wouldn't mind at all.
...r1

Tough call between them - Rotels tend to have a warmer sound signature with more pronounced lower frequencies - at least that has been my experience with the RCD 855, the predecessor. The 1072 might be similar, both were two of the more notable affordable units from them. I use the Rotel with a Denon DRA 685 integrated and it is quite good, enough to leave it in.

My brother has a very well used Music Hall CD25, and I do mean well used by a previous owner, he paid 100.00 for it a couple of years ago, still going strong. Both being British i would tend to think that warmer sound would be more prevalent as well. Playing through a Luxman L 215 integrated amp. it was previously used with an Acurus A250 amp. and L10 pre amp. and to my ears was quite presentable.

Less expensive is always a good start if that helps! It would be easier if you could listen to both of them and decide based on personal taste but one can usually assume that either one will be a good choice.

Last edited:
I had a Music Hall CD25 and it was a great CD player. It is very moddable too. you can upgrade the op-amps to make the biggest difference.

The Music Hall CDP, like the DAC 25.3 socket mounts their op amps for easy upgrades. I enjoyed a considerable improvement by replacing the BB op amps with Burson Audio FET modules in mine.

Back
Top Bottom