Got Screws?

I also have a supply of the M3 flat head screws used on the top of the face plates on 9090/8080 and 9090DB/8080DB. It's on the far right of this picture. Also note some color variation for the short gold screws. They have a green tint to them. It's a normal color variation for this type of plating.

Good ol' zinc chromate.

Great detective work Pete,

If yo wanted to "round off" the screws that do go missing - perhaps some black M4 pan head case/cover screws in a couple of different lengths (8 or 10mm, and 16 or 18mm), although is is possible to get these from various sources. The other thing that goes missing is the oversize black flat washers used with the case screws (particualrly on wooden covers) - these aren't easy to find.....

I'll see you over in Bartertown!!

Cheers

John
Those black oxide screws with metric machine threads are available at Aarons General store online. I get 2 sizes, 10MM and 18MM length.

I have made a request to Pete for him to price up one of his 'screw kits' for sending to me in the UK :)

Casey, The original screws are not black oxide, they are plated. Arron's screws are more pricey than mine! When I get a feel for the demand for the screws I have now, I plan to branch out. The screws and washers for the wood cases are probably next.

- Pete

Pete has given me a price for the screws I have asked for - screws are cheap enough but the shipping is pretty expensive.

Is there anyone else in the UK who needs some of these screws? - obviously I'll have to forward these on to anyone interested via the UK postal system. And it's an interesting maths problem - how many can Pete send for the shipping price $14, so that it will be cheaper overall for everyone after I have sent on the requested screws. :idea: :confused:

Then there is the possibility of 'import duty'... not sure if there is a value threshold, below which duty is not payable???

Found this
"If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less."

Based on this it looks like the screws I will be ordering will be duty exempt, but only just Import VAT exempt - threshold is £7 - cost here is £5.35 (20% rate assumed) - so if the overall value of the order increases by £1.65 then Import VAT will be payable - so it seems like this isn't going to work. <DRAT>

Last edited:
Hmmmm, how might we make that work? :rolleyes: Does this apply to "gifts?"

Here's a breakdown of the shipping rates to the UK. Up to 8oz is $14 but 8 to 32oz is $23.50. One of the 100 piece "kits" weighs about 2.7oz, add another 2oz for packaging adds up to two kits in a box for the 8oz rate but many more for the next rate. I suspect these rates would be the same or similar to international locations.

- Pete

Pete has given me a price for the screws I have asked for - screws are cheap enough but the shipping is pretty expensive.

Is there anyone else in the UK who needs some of these screws?

Hi John, Pete,
Include me in, I was debating this, when announced,
Mano

My screws arrived today! - very pleased with them, they might as well be out of Sansui parts bins, a perfect match with the originals.

Here is where it started:-

January 4, 2019, 9:30 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
LONG BEACH, CA 90807

So actually only 4 days to get to me from California - not bad. ;)

Thanks Pete. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks John. When the postal system works it's amazing. Glad they got there OK, the customs docs were a challenge.

- Pete

Those black screws are also used in a lot of Pioneer equipment as well.
My freebie basket case SX-1980 came without several distinctive screws, Oak Tree couldn't be bothered to help so I scrounged enough from a lesser formerly authentic receiver and a small parts can to restore it.
A special peeve of mine is wrong, missing, or mixed replaced hardware on a otherwise complete restorable piece.

Going to pile on here... Just ordered and received, quickly, a bag of screws from @LBPete. Nice parts! I consider his research and offering of these unobtanium parts a service to us all. (By unobtanium I mean metric sized sheet metal screws.) Thanks again Pete.

Back
Top Bottom