Health and Wellness

I'm a big fan of "Goat Yoga". :)

170112104820-01-goat-yoga-exlarge-169.jpg

Some of you may laugh, but I have a Sony alarm clock/cd player and guess what I wake up to every single day???

Yep, Bobby McFerrin. How can your day be crap waking to "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" ??

Lectins in Food List (1).jpg I am in my late 50's and found a diet that helps with age related problems as your immune system declines so have written it up with new info about Lectins , a plant protein that causes inflammation leading to life threatening illness and pain in the joints. I wrote it up, so here it is with Dr. Gundry's Lectin list.

Diet & Ways to Boost the Immune System

- Gets weaker especially as we age or from what we eat or inhale.

-Even if Genetics may play a role it’s worth a try!

Macrobiotic Diet (Following Sept 1982 LIFE Magazine article where a Dr. tried it to help his bad cancer situation where it had spread to most of his organs and bones -which it did keep it at bay till about 1998 when he was in a bad car accident and died shortly after it. He first started the diet in about 1974 . to Boost the Immune system. The Cancer disappeared from his CAT scans in a few months only coming back if he got off the diet.

It also helps those with IBD & Type I & II Diabetic diseases. Maybe Dementia too!

Worth a try for any disease!

It contains no processed food, meat, sugar or drinks.

Most “ Wild Salmon” is farm fed so avoid it and Organic Seafood should be good. Canned Salmon (Walmart Brand seems to have a safe new lining) & local Jack, Pickerel , & Trout fish.

Avoid canned though because of the lining and fresh or frozen has more food value.

Organic Asparagus , Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions, Swiss Chard, Kale, Garlic, Cauliflower, Avocado, & Lettuce.

Organic Apples, Oranges (lemons & grapefruit) , Peaches, Pears, Nectarines, Berries etc. (Peeling doesn’t help as chemicals soak in.) Even with organic bananas don’t eat the black core as it is full of bacteria.

Big US name brand Raisins & Prunes may be okay along with Walmart brand washed in really hot water followed by cold.

Organic Spices best or avoid most at first.

Don’t drink Chlorinated water because the Chlorine turns the organics in the water carcinogenic & distilled water & reverse osmosis may not be best long term as the process removes the minerals. You can however get a filter that add the right minerals.

Freezing water slowly and using the resulting ice on top for drinking seems to be a great way to purify it as it squeezes out the bad stuff!

No grains, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, and most nuts as they highly inflame the system. A small amount of white rice may be okay later on as it is lowest on the list. It may be possible to pressure cook dried beans to reduce their count a lot too and try later.

Scientific American & Fine Home Building mention carcinogens in the home should be avoided and include ones from harsh cleaners like Mr. Clean etc., painting, wood oils, , glade plug ins, perfumed candles & soaps etc. as they contain petrol products & formaldehyde.

Multiple Vitamins have been found to be not the best for many people with reactions to them. Chemicals or contaminants or reaction to some vitamins could be the issue especially in excess.

Pain killers and acid control meds for heartburn can damage critical organs like the kidneys so improved diet habits are best used.

There was a recent documentary on TV about Golf Courses using HD pesticides & herbicides that are banned, but allowed strangely as it’s about $. Bottom line is workers and some golfers that are out there have a lot have high cancer rates.

Of course is still helps to get plenty of exercise, and once you start it will get easier!

A Radon Gas test kit may be in order too from what has been said about that!
Lectins in Food List (1).jpg

Attachments

• Lectins in Food List (1).jpg
    Lectins in Food List (1).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
View attachment 1376061 I am in my late 50's and found a diet that helps with age related problems as your immune system declines so have written it up with new info about Lectins , a plant protein that causes inflammation leading to life threatening illness and pain in the joints. I wrote it up, so here it is with Dr. Gundry's Lectin list.

Diet & Ways to Boost the Immune System

- Gets weaker especially as we age or from what we eat or inhale.

-Even if Genetics may play a role it’s worth a try!

Macrobiotic Diet (Following Sept 1982 LIFE Magazine article where a Dr. tried it to help his bad cancer situation where it had spread to most of his organs and bones -which it did keep it at bay till about 1998 when he was in a bad car accident and died shortly after it. He first started the diet in about 1974 . to Boost the Immune system. The Cancer disappeared from his CAT scans in a few months only coming back if he got off the diet.

It also helps those with IBD & Type I & II Diabetic diseases. Maybe Dementia too!

Worth a try for any disease!

It contains no processed food, meat, sugar or drinks.

Most “ Wild Salmon” is farm fed so avoid it and Organic Seafood should be good. Canned Salmon (Walmart Brand seems to have a safe new lining) & local Jack, Pickerel , & Trout fish.

Organic Asparagus , Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions, Swiss Chard, Kale, Garlic, Cauliflower, Avocado, & Lettuce.

Organic Apples, Oranges (lemons & grapefruit) , Peaches, Pears, Nectarines, Berries etc. (Peeling doesn’t help as chemicals soak in.) Even with organic bananas don’t eat the black core as it is full of bacteria.

Big US name brand Raisins & Prunes may be okay along with Walmart brand washed in really hot water followed by cold.

Organic Spices best or avoid most at first.

Don’t drink Chlorinated water because the Chlorine turns the organics in the water carcinogenic & distilled water & reverse osmosis may not be best long term as the process removes the minerals. You can however get a filter that add the right minerals.

Freezing water slowly and using the resulting ice on top for drinking seems to be a great way to purify it as it squeezes out the bad stuff!

No grains, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, and most nuts as they highly inflame the system. A small amount of white rice may be okay later on as it is lowest on the list. It may be possible to pressure cook dried beans to reduce their count a lot too and try later.

Scientific American & Fine Home Building mention carcinogens in the home should be avoided and include ones from harsh cleaners like Mr. Clean etc., painting, wood oils, , glade plug ins, perfumed candles & soaps etc. as they contain petrol products & formaldehyde.

Multiple Vitamins have been found to be not the best for many people with reactions to them. Chemicals or contaminants or reaction to some vitamins could be the issue especially in excess.

Pain killers and acid control meds for heartburn can damage critical organs like the kidneys so improved diet habits are best used.

There was a recent documentary on TV about Golf Courses using HD pesticides & herbicides that are banned, but allowed strangely as it’s about $. Bottom line is workers and some golfers that are out there have a lot have high cancer rates.

A Radon Gas test kit may be in order too from what has been said about that!
View attachment 1376061

Thanks! That was a lot to consume, but I do agree. Lots going on. It helps to break it up into smaller sections. It makes it easier to read.

Some of you may laugh, but I have a Sony alarm clock/cd player and guess what I wake up to every single day???

Yep, Bobby McFerrin. How can your day be crap waking to "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" ??
Whatever works! For the most part, I don't need an alarm clock. Unless I'm waking up at 4 in the morning after going to sleep at 1am. :)

I think being healthy helps your internal clock.

The bestest exercise in the world...SWIMMING!

Pulled in 7 notches in the belt within a year. Gravity no longer haunts me on the way up from the floor. No pain in the back any more. Stress level from an 8 down to a 2 outta 10. Increased energy. I eat what I want but still watch what I consume.

Ya gotta try it! It's a pain to hit the pool at 7:3AMo_O...but worth it in the long run. But, it has to become a life style change and not an exercise.

Trust me!

Q

Last edited:
The bestest exercise in the world...SWIMMING!

Pulled in 7 notches in the belt within a year. Gravity no longer haunts me on the way up from the floor. No pain in the back any more. Stress level from an 8 down to a 2 outta 10. Increased energy. I eat what I want but still watch what I consume.

Ya gotta try it! It's a pain to hit the pool at 7:3AMo_O...but worth it in the long run. But, it's gotta become a life style change and not an exercise.

Trust me!

Q
Swimming and being in the water is fantastic! One reason why I still surf, body surf and snorkel and do laps. I don't work out, I play. :)

My routine (almost 65, recently retired) is lifting free weights twice a week in my basement, as I have done pretty much all of my adult life. About 5 years ago, I went from three days a week down to twice. You just don't recover as quickly as when you were 30.

The only other thing is at least 20 minutes of brisk walking or bicycling 4 out of the other 5 days, weather permitting. I did this too before retiring, but work often forced me to skip more than I wanted to.

This is what works for me. My experience tells me that I won't stick long term to anything that (1) is more complex or time consuming, (2) requires me to travel to to a gym or facility, (3) requires me to pay money repeatedly.

Water and Yogurt and Kombucha

When I was younger I could not eat yogurt, I don't like sour and bitter. When I did start to eat it, it had to be the Dannon with fruit on the bottom....= sugar
Now I eat only Stoneyfield plain-low fat. I put organic granola and dried cranberries on it. Stoneyfield has lots of pro biotics and live cultures.

Fermented foods and drinks are also good. I tried Kimchi but cannot stomach it. I do love Kombucha and we drink that regularly. Lots of good live and fermented goodies.

Water is a tough one. Most bottled water is Tap Water run thru an Ultra Violet Light, nothing more. Locally we have one of the only bottled waters that actually comes from a real spring, Deer Park. Even the real expensive waters are just tap water like Aquafina and similar. We drink only the Deer Park if our well water runs out. We have a family cabin in the Poconos of PA with a 280' deep well. We bring back 60 or so gallons every trip and that is what we drink and cook with mostly. We have had it tested several times and they ask us where we got it because it tests so good.

If that ends, I will put a whole house filter system in place because our tap water smells like a Swimming Pool most of the time.

Anyone one can chip in! What are you folks going to do for a healthier 2019?

Do you have a goal in mind? Like loosing some weight, eating healthier. Running, exercise, swimming, biking?

I agree with your earlier advice to take it slow especially if you have been active for a number of years. I recommend starting off with a exercise regime focused on cardio with a few load bearing exercises worked in between. This often leads to the quickest results (using the large muscles in your legs for significant periods burns off the most calories) and that will put you in the mental framework to keep it up. Yoga or stretching excersises can also give those large muscle a workout and reduce soreness that will occur when you start excercising again. After a couple weeks you should be able increase your pace/reps and start to add in some muscle specific exercises like sit ups.

My routine (almost 65, recently retired) is lifting free weights twice a week in my basement, as I have done pretty much all of my adult life. About 5 years ago, I went from three days a week down to twice. You just don't recover as quickly as when you were 30.

The only other thing is at least 20 minutes of brisk walking or bicycling 4 out of the other 5 days, weather permitting. I did this too before retiring, but work often forced me to skip more than I wanted to.

This is what works for me. My experience tells me that I won't stick long term to anything that (1) is more complex or time consuming, (2) requires me to travel to to a gym or facility, (3) requires me to pay money repeatedly.

You can stretch and or do yoga at home. It will compliment the other exercises you are already doing.

Back
Top Bottom