The way it used to be...

dondoucette

Too Many Projects
I’m sitting in the living room relaxing and I find myself nostalgic for the things I remember as a kid...

Weekends were always a time when we as a family would spend the bulk of our time together, mom and dad had things to do but mostly we all stuck together.
Family dinners were always the highlight of our weekends, I suspect like most other families of the 60’s and 70’s our weekends would always find the family gathered around the television after dinner and this is where I miss the family time we used to spend.
I remember ABC wide world of sports, Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom, Disney, Carol Burnett, Honeymooners...
my kids spend their time on their devices, it’s hard to get a word out of them, dinner time seems to be more of a grazing ritual than it s a formal gathering.

What do you miss about your childhood?

Today I was thinking about that "please allow 6 to 8 weeeks for delivery" thing when you ordered some gadget out of a magazine.

What on earth took so long???

6 to 8 weeks is an ETERNITY for a kid!
Buying records from the UK used to be a back and forth of catalogue, order, confirmation and payment by cheque.
Bought one from Germany last night with a few mouse clicks.

Watching Petrocelli ( Barry Newman ) , Cannon , Streets of San Francisco , Barnaby Jones Columbo all the detective shows . Now when I whip out cassettes from the 70’s I recorded and listen to those carts being played , hearing Jerry Kane screaming on WIFI 92 , well ... I can’t get back there .
I am an only child so I had to entertain myself . And I did .
Visiting various uncles and aunts ‘ houses during Christmas and eating all that food ...

I would debate one favorite uncle re what the sports and political columnists wrote recently . If was in fun . Now not so much . There are none alive .

We didn't have a TV so we went to my grandparents house for Sunday dinner and "The Ed Sullivan Show". It's such a different world then it was 50 years ago. Like comparing 1915 to 1965, as well.
Our entire family loaded up in the car to go get groceries. 6 kids in the Buick wagon. Mom didn't work outside the house or drive. We ate at home every meal unless we were at school, where we took a packed lunch.
Of course we were not in the house at all unless we were eating, sleeping or doing homework.

A simpler, less populated, less red taped, world wherein ongoing activity and a sense of order ruled the day/globe.

The best thing about nostalgia...one overlooks the bad times/things that we experienced.

On the bright side, we just have to look a little harder and still try to make good things happen today..

We are our future.

Q

Last edited:
Being able to have a morning paper route at 12, by choice!
Being able say "Hey Mom, I'll be home by dinner". Who we went with, where we went, didntd matter as long as we were home by dinner.
Riding your bike in the fog the DDT truck was spraying out! OK, maybe that one wasn't so good an idea!

Unfortunately, living in California leaves one with endless memories of things that "used to be".

The Fourth of July fireworks show at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Father & Son baseball games the last day of school

Mother & Daughter Tea and fashion shows

HS homecoming bonfires

Local police who, if they caught you in town with too much to drink, would take you home, wake your parents, and turn you over to them.

san_diego_fwy_header.jpg

The Holiday meals my Great Grandmother use to cook and a time .. long ago .. when listening to Three Dog Night on records was some radical shit.

Had to be there .. could never explain it to the younger generation today.

Back
Top Bottom