Best under $250 CD player with remote and headphone jack

bionic

Time to retire my combo vhs/dvd Panasonic as I am getting my marantz 2230 amp recapped as well as have some killer box sets on their way and instead of getting a seperate dac was thinking of just getting a new CD player with a half decent DAC that is sure to trump my ancient Panasonic. What can I get with remote and headphone jack for under $250

Two that come to mind are the onkyo c-7030 and teac pd650? There are not a whole lot of cdps under $250. I've had the onkyo for many years now and am very happy with it. The headphone amp in it is just okay though compared to a dedicated one.

I really enjoy the Onkyo C-7030 as well. It's in my secondary system and it's a rock-solid performer that (IMHO) easily keeps pace with or beats many higher-end players from the '90s and '00s, for a fraction of what those cost new, and for less than what many of those still go for used.

I would not, however, depend on any reasonably priced CD player as a direct headphone source for critical listening. It might be fine, but it might not. Power and output impedance are a big deal when it comes to headphone amps/jacks. If you have high-impedance headphones, a lot of built-in headphone amps/jacks can sound anemic. You might have luck listening to the CD player via your recapped 2230's headphone jack - you'll still be getting the benefit fo the CD player's DAC, and you'll also be getting the Marantz's well-regarded sound in the chain too.

I don't really need the headphone output that much. I have a headphone output on the Marantz and am using a pair of Grado SR 60 with it. Will look into the C7030

Ime with a low budget, it's very hard to beat a high end dvd or hd-dvd player. They're near worthless on the used market. But they have high quality DACs.

Check of the oppo DV-970HD, which also happens to play SACD. I currently still use a DV-971H, also a Toshiba HD-A1 (although this one is a bit slow to turn on).

Ime with a low budget, it's very hard to beat a high end dvd or hd-dvd player. They're near worthless on the used market. But they have high quality DACs.

Check of the oppo DV-970HD, which also happens to play SACD. I currently still use a DV-971H, also a Toshiba HD-A1 (although this one is a bit slow to turn on).
Interesting, I used to have an Oppo DV-971H but never thought about trying it for CD listening. It's with an ex-gf now though, so I'm not getting that back, lol. maybe if I stumble on another one for cheap

I really like my Onkyo C7030. It also has digital out so you can use it with an external DAC if you ever want to.

Interesting, I used to have an Oppo DV-971H but never thought about trying it for CD listening. It's with an ex-gf now though, so I'm not getting that back, lol. maybe if I stumble on another one for cheap

I would look for an oppo DV-970HD, you should be able to get one around $50 give or take. It'll play CD, SACD, DVD-A, and even mp3s burned onto a CDR.

All originally $1000 or more, all purchased for $80 or less.

Sony DVP NS900V
View attachment 1377481

Sony DVP NS999ES
View attachment 1377482

Sony DVP CX777ES
View attachment 1377480
I don't have any experience with the two ES models mentioned, but I picked up a pristine 900V a couple weeks ago for $50. The seller originally had it listed for $30 and upped it to $50 after doing some eBay price research. I really like the player. I don't use the video functions, but CD's and SACD's sound great. The headphone output is very usable, and the unit is responsive (much quicker than the old BD player I was using previously on this system!) I can't think of a better unit for the price I paid, though I'd be OK with paying more for one in condition comparable to mine.

Back
Top Bottom