The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Another I sought and grabbed after reading up on this band's influence on Thrash and Speed genres:

d285da4d6ca14e7eb318d797fee13ae2.jpg

37c8ed84760bac9b61f6e9d67d397716.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

✴ Треклист ✴ (i.e., Tracklist. I thought the "stars-surrounded" Russian too pretty to delete)

01. 92nd Symphony (01:32)
02. Who Dies Wins (06:50)
03. 11th Commandment (04:49)
04. Suicidal Justice (07:39)
05. Vandal (Hostile Youth) (05:17)
06. S.C.U.M. (Socially Condemned Undesirable Misfits) (05:34)
07. Avalanche of a Million Hearts (08:11)
08. Calculated Execution (Driller Killer) (04:37)
09. Key to Oblivion* (04:35)
10. Hear Evil, See Evil, Speak Evil* (04:50)
11. **** You* (03:18)
12. Ice Man* (04:55)

* denotes material on the EP entitled Into The Future (1986)

Personnel:

Michael Jackson - Vocals
Graeme English - Bass
Russ Tippins - Guitars
Sean Taylor - Drums

Steve Ramsey - Guitars

Suspended Sentence: Recorded from 9th-19th March 1987 at Firehouse Studios, London.
Mixed at Livingstone Studios, London.

Ⓟ & Ⓒ 1986 / 1987 Steamhammer, a division of SPV.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if I can just track down a copy of their debut album Court In The Act (1983).

Second consecutive powerlifting session -- deadlift and back day -- accompanied by Live At The Inferno. I'm tllin' y'all that this "live" capture of Raven is giving even some of my "best" Metallica shows -- even Seattle 1989 (!), a run for the money.

The sequence of "One For All" > "Forbidden Planet" > "Star Wars", followed by "Tyrants Of The Airways" & "Run Silent, Run Deep", is an outstanding 18-minute run of Metal. Love it.

Addendum: I'm even thinking about adding the 'live' Raven LP to my Unsurpassed Master Guitarists thread cuz dang this Mark Gallagher has GOBS of great chops and KILLER TONE.
Hell, I'm adding this one.

Read this story about Mark Gallagher's near death experience and long road to recovery. He'll become even mightier in your eyes.
http://noisecreep.com/raven-survive-shattered-limbs-re-learn-to-fly/
002.jpg

003.jpg

I finally got around to writing about an album I wanted to mention a few days ago. I said I would circle around to it, now I have.

Witchfynde "The Lost Tapes" 2lp. This is 5 tracks from 1975 and 2 tracks from a 1977 session. Never released in any permanent form until 2013 on Bad Omen records.
This album for me is really fantastic. I can really hear where the band was going, this is a heavy doom rock jammer. Really Sabbath influenced and very very much sounds like Witchfynde. Hearing this, then 'Give 'em Hell", everything just makes sense. The 5 songs from 1985 sound just fantastic and the 2 1977 track have a much more raw, poorly recorded rehearsal sound. But the songs are good :)

By the way there is a digital version out there that was released on cd-r, I think maybe available through cd baby. Let me tell you all the youtube and digital versions out here are complete CRAP! (but the only thing to hear without buying the 2lp). They compressed the tape and ran some brutal noise reduction filter on it. The 2lp version obviously they went back to the master reels for pressing it because it has great dynamic range for the primitiveness of the recording.

:rockon:

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG

https://www.discogs.com/Witchfynde-The-Lost-Tapes/release/5523432

Last edited:
@Delmarva -- back w/ the review of:

Witchfinder General
Friends Of Hell
(Heavy Metal Records, UK, 1983)

* Rip of original UK-issue vinyl LP

> First things first: while there is an obviously strong influence of Black Sabbath in WG's sound, they pull it off admirably and make it their own. Having a vocalist who operates @ a range of ~ 1/2 octave lower than Ozzie (of course) helps, but there's something else going on here, and I think I know what it is: The seeds of DOOM Metal. Yep, no less than that element is present and, certain Sabbath numbers aside, it's about the earliest and most consistent "early" application of what I think of as The Doom Metal sound I've heard outta any of not merely the NWOBHM ensembles but just about everything that preceded them. Even the upbeat, faster-paced, more "chipper-sounding" numbers betray the Doom element. All the while the band's "string section" achieves a very smooth overdrive w/ lush bits, here and there, of "fuzz". I dig it. I played it sorta loud but next time round I'm gonna play it VERY LOUD cuz this material will stand up to the challenge.

Boy now I really wanna hear their debut LP, i.e., Death Penalty (1982).
:bowdown:
Outstanding review! Thanks for that.
Witchfinder General has been a favorite of mine since the needle touched the first groove on side one of Death Penalty.
You really caught the spirit of the band and their music.
Witchfinder_General_Group_Shot.jpg

I finally got around to writing about an album I wanted to mention a few days ago. I said I would circle around to it, now I have.

Witchfynde "The Lost Tapes" 2lp. This is 5 tracks from 1975 and 2 tracks from a 1977 session. Never released in any permanent form until 2013 on Bad Omen records.
This album for me is really fantastic. I can really hear where the band was going, this is a heavy doom rock jammer. Really Sabbath influenced and very very much sounds like Witchfynde. Hearing this, then 'Give 'em Hell", everything just makes sense. The 5 songs from 1975 sound just fantastic and the 2 1977 track have a much more raw, poorly recorded rehearsal sound. But the songs are good :)
Wow. Witchfynde circa 1975. Long before there was any thought of a NWOBHM movement or much knowledge of punk rock. Should be a pure early '70s influence on the recordings.
7 songs on 2 LP's. I assume this is 45rpm.

Just made my way through the whole album via digital files. Wow. This is not Stoner Doom, Sludge, Heavy Metal or anything else. It's very much it's own unique and beautiful thing. It's very progressive but with a stripped down street level vibe.
One can clearly see the beginning of what Witchfynde went on to do four years later. It gives the official Witchfynde catalog a whole new perspective. The final song, the ten minute opus Tetelstai is a very mind expanding piece. Trevor Taylor, aka Montalo really cuts loose on what amounts to a six minute solo, broken up slightly by some Steve Bridges vocals every once in a while.
I must track down a vinyl copy of this.
http://www.bad-omen-records.com/bands/witchfynde/
Witchfynde-B3-600x450.gif

Last edited:
Manowar
Hail To England
(Music For Nations, 1984)

Although not to be counted among the NWOBHM bands -- they are, after all, from New York State, USA! -- this, their third album, is essentially a "tribute" to the NWOBHM genre.

Alright then.
Today marks four weeks since this thread got started. We're up to TWENTY FIVE pages of solid posts.
It's been a great sharing and learning experience thus far and we've barely opened the door.

Why? Because the topic and, especially, the contributors, of/to this thread have made it one of the most informative, engaging, spirited, and just plain fun threads we've had @ Music Forums or, for that matter, most of the other forums. I've cetainly been enjoying it, learning about so many bands I might have heard about YEARS AGO but never actually "heard" musically, in the offing am discovering some fantastically good material -- Raven, "the two witches", i.e., Witchfynde and Witchfinder General -- all of "witch" (heh heh) has been added to my weekly listening. How the hell (good word @ a NWOBHM thread, yes?) I managed to let more than three decades go by before "discovering" this band called Raven and, especially, Mark Gallagher's whole "thing" w/ the Tele and other geetars... ah, 't'was a crime against humanity, I tell yooze. And now I'm discovering that I am nearly as enamored of "those two witch" bands, maybe "....finder General" the most, what w/ their Sabbath "feel" but obviously advancing to what'd become Doom. Great stuff. Love this thread.

While I'm here, a question for the gurus:

Why are Judas Priest not counted among the NWOBHM set while Lemmy & Co. are? Or ought we also be including Mr Halford & Co.? Sure, they're not included in "lists" e.g. Wikedpedia, but here we make the rules, we decide which to and which not to include on "the list", yes? Anyway, curious re: your opinions of The Priests @ NWOBHM.

Why? Because the topic and, especially, the contributors, of/to this thread have made it one of the most informative, engaging, spirited, and just plain fun threads we've had @ Music Forums or, for that matter, most of the other forums. I've cetainly been enjoying it, learning about so many bands I might have heard about YEARS AGO but never actually "heard" musically, in the offing am discovering some fantastically good material -- Raven, "the two witches", i.e., Witchfynde and Witchfinder General -- all of "witch" (heh heh) has been added to my weekly listening. How the hell (good word @ a NWOBHM thread, yes?) I managed to let more than three decades go by before "discovering" this band called Raven and, especially, Mark Gallagher's whole "thing" w/ the Tele and other geetars... ah, 't'was a crime against humanity, I tell yooze. And now I'm discovering that I am nearly as enamored of "those two witch" bands, maybe "....finder General" the most, what w/ their Sabbath "feel" but obviously advancing to what'd become Doom. Great stuff. Love this thread.
Thank you sir. It's been quite the education for me and I'm the one who started the thread!
It really has been a blast sharing, learning and enjoying this unique and little known genre.

The beauty of discovering Raven et al at this point in your life is that it's all new and fresh and something to get excited about.

Back
Top Bottom