Scott 310E help

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I bought a Scott amplifier and a Scott 310E tuner at a garage sale two weeks back. I got around to recapping the tuner this weekend and brought it up on a variac. I can hear a relay locking in as it tunes in a station but I'm only getting sound from one channel. The other channel has very low volume. I've read that the 2 relays should have the contacts cleaned and that one person had this same problem and the contacts corrected his. Thought I'd ask if anyone has cleaned the relay contacts on their Scott tuner and what they used?

I should have mentioned that both channels are working in mono. Just one when switched to stereo. I'm sure it can be several things but I'd like to clean the relays.

I'll be taking it to a friend to be aligned in a couple weeks but I'd like to get it going the best I can if possible before I leave it with him.

If both channels work in mono then it is not an amplifier problem but rather a dirty switch. It may not be your problem, but clean all pots and controls with deox first and see what happens from there.

Thanks for the help. I had cleaned all switches and controls with deoxit when I recapped the tuner but I did it once more to be sure. I got out my signal tracer and I do have a good stereo signal at the two .1uf caps (c51 & c52) so I need to clean the relay contacts. Looks like a couple screws each mounts them to the front of the chassis, and then maybe 4 screws on the bottom to remove the plastic cover.

The tuner picks up an incredible amount of stations, very surprising. When tuned in the sound is clear but I'm getting a whistle type sound between stations, only at the lower end of the scale. I may leave this for my friend to look over when he aligns it as I just wanted to get it recapped and playing. Lucky for me the meter is working very well but it has that annoying bounce my 355 had until I put a cap across the meter. I'll have to do that. Had 2 good Telefunken 12au7's and one 12ax7 which was nice to find. Don't know if they are original as many of the other tubes are labeled Scott.

The 310e, amp and one somewhat rough cabinet were buried in a VERY messy garage. Amp is a different style than the tuner so I may end up looking for an amplifier that matches if I like the tuner. Two of the small knob caps were missing and the others were loose and easy to pull off so I need to find matching ones and glue them all back on. Also, the round dial has a fine crack and it shows when lit up. I glued it from behind but I'll look for a replacement for that as well. I don't think that will be an easy find but I did noticed a couple of other Scott tuners from the same era have what looks like the same dial, so that may help. A friend told me he had heard a Scott 310e years ago and it was a great sounding tuner so I'm eager to get it working right and compare it to my 355's tuner. For now it will be used as is until I find what it needs.

Lots of small problems, but they were inexpensive to purchase so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

310E Scott W.jpg
310E Scott top W.jpg

HH Scott 200B, 222D, 299D or LK-72B or should have the same style faceplate, what I refer to as the picture frame faceplate.

Nice matching amplifiers! The 233 looks like a great amplifier and I really like the matching green lamps on the 299D.

Nice matching amplifiers! The 233 looks like a great amplifier and I really like the matching green lamps on the 299D.

The 233 is quite rare. It is a bit lower in power than the 299C. It even came at the very end with 7868 output tubes instead of 7591 tube. You may have a hard time finding one. Also, the 233, while essentially a 299C has less "whistles and bells", some of which may be unnecessary. One more amplifier that will match the 310E is the LK-48B. I forgot to mention that one...

The 233 is more in line with the lk 72b and uses the same opt. At one time I had a lk72( brown face) lk 72b and a 233.

I wonder what a nice 299D goes for? The 2 matching rectangular lights look great and it is listed as having 34 watts per channel.

222C = 7189 tubes. 299D = 7591 tubes.
Exactly correct. The 299 series "upgraded" if that is the term from 7189 outputs to 7591 outputs with the 299C. There are many slight variations in the various 299C model amplifiers, at least 7.

222D has 7189 output tubes and the "picture frame" faceplate if that is important. And the 200B is a small lower power amplifier which has ECL86/6GW8 output tubes. I also failed to mention the kit version of the 200B; the LK-30B.

Exactly correct. The 299 series "upgraded" if that is the term from 7189 outputs to 7591 outputs with the 299C. There are many slight variations in the various 299C model amplifiers, at least 7.

222D has 7189 output tubes and the "picture frame" faceplate if that is important. And the 200B is a small lower power amplifier which has ECL86/6GW8 output tubes. I also failed to mention the kit version of the 200B; the LK-30B.
Thank you. I'll be looking the different models up. I really like the 299D with it's 2 lights that match the 310e perfectly. They look like they were made for each other :)

Back
Top Bottom