Sony Alpha

Oops... I was making an edit and accidentally deleted the text.

ed_JUscpNzCLLZdUgl22ZllXhKsEsUDjp33cTjjGMMFMQ6Fb5wAj76J7_1M6sdy4OhCI0AVcTz9DrNiKigXz-Xxv9A6RVqVaciv0Hblcb266RrBcGj3AVUs8xFI4ERmdi-_BiYpRUDimnvNNZIai0JMZ94x9kM3I030d3y_tJaApfIT6dcGmpwkrd7NB1_SU5aCfvVOFrgboc_c1Afw4-oJqgDtHqD7B86cYVDa_G5CNziG67bxwLVDjIqvkYXoOXf4SFiw34Z2iMNRFLcqDe8x5aM231Ym87RYCMSXqKS5O8FaLGLhmoz6EpNB9Sr8TpTqXMZDh4-dAuVR_qczAZTypn5oJUa9BQFaM9vnpamS5cSsqS1x4RSvEAhx-jbocdMTs1K2qlKEqc82glUW8AgVMWKisf1t2TN9PfM_lx9sYqoGxaUNIJkU5x19aIGhvNnYl5au8G7Z6dG7PjfybZ6LINmnozK-1-hElqOs1u6tt-gD6lYyT1XBkmwfW6EQ0ggNisK1P6yJXcISfQr6UKyUoz67yqWRFPANuH6vCOQByZiFjgwlzO9dVnWS9NcQaUFKjyFFdzstosM6KGvvHiLGhQDLxobwR3t6YvYlLQlJGeRXrhJWoxw3bdNIAonW1NRcIQi6SejguaQsh2fDNKXPd=w2042-h853-no

Attachments

• SONY-lens-sizes-horizontal.jpg
    SONY-lens-sizes-horizontal.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Here is a low light test image with the little Sony Zeiss 35mm, f/2.8 and Sony A7riii. Click on it to see the full image. Its big brother is even sharper. It's actually a little over exposed. That one shop interior is washed out. You should be able to see the stuff inside. The blur is from the slow shutter speed and being hand held.

1/25 sec at f/5.6, ISO 4000. Processed in Lightroom.

qdOgm9xVpQbuNybPhv6UhsaINZ5eiSx2kI7fTFaJFokhvesQ2KoOh-uDtvmEdJfyLIwWVADKZlvbWAF9oNbzqp65Q79gmHKvZSi4NQmNKPri3Z77K243P51LCz3RfSKc26HVXo6BoZJnMosBJKTKwpiiNQ6dx4KCoRz14y0_Fl3rLiZZiyLT9kFyYqyyWvlSLfb_etCTGbFVGtLKIaKmscsczHXrGOP6jKj_4bxsN-FFUoEYKAoCY5PNh1N7h0MWW1vohef5tglqPQ4S0krNIb1xxduhI9DbM6wQUqYSjFxrvBkZw7Lo2gytm_gEtcYkHuMpB9fXBaMwpkrr9W6UxShVk-3EQjU3YJIZmlDXesmZP5Hlo-ERmy94nlmqtsQV9G11Gu2AOr0sd3TD9M1AbTXiF7DIY5BsKK5tiYgcsxMDWypsIyxeoc7a8HhfYGMn6Fin-EFYVAJfdYfl16yvh27KG-c7ska0xrr6ejS52pmZtWQdHQTPRxI1hm8Wjzn-CoOHST--etKFjB1118vBWUo4LcnPZgVk1VpuiYwytFHDAwnbl82FWoQCU_imhZPVyA6-Bf1m-bZDZTWe-LRcR2fZXjGurYnu303iFzZWzC-PF3mW843ESPRbkFK3gUt6iGM5v1vLsU6sxGOLrZKCmAXV=w2690-h1796-no

The 16-35mm f/2.8 GM and Sony/Zeiss 35mm, f/2.8.

IMG_1101-sm.jpg

Last edited:
I think I’ve been on that street. Front street? Walked from the banyan tree to Aloha Mixed Plate.

Nice photo. Good detail, especially for night

I think I’ve been on that street. Front street? Walked from the banyan tree to Aloha Mixed Plate.

Nice photo. Good detail, especially for night

Yup. The banyan tree is to the left just out of the picture. Here is another shot of the same intersection from another angle.

I got the 35mm lens before Christmas and I was testing to see what it could do. Tricky low light will definitely test the lens and camera. Image processed in Lightroom.

__3uabEK-CFIUZgHQ1TtDTyTPZBAidyihVSS3wIvN8LTUiE8Cg974EFpizW7E4Y67iwxF-v4cVNmpYunY1qvjVkJI7tObcexX5XRDF1D12bWN7QQRMw2hExvWSE2OOjdgTtU80YM9mYgii66ua0K8AGFUiP7M1OvJ4_WGQEV73tO1AT37AL7OuwP28YIesqAkeH9Aqtp2Owih7Zdp1ChuhLfpQIFrEy62QMxqJ4ahqO-Wgw6IFy-GjxPTciez_4_rt2j2bEXybpRDOrjRDuoN_1Okc7Eyj4sNyrXrK-2oTC2oaOYOqrRYDb3CW1vQqcLnREHvuKBDV82egd1jP4Gf8ESm_73Et7MwywIi716h2q7HLOOVw6NHlqWLy44d7e4ZgAT8SEMQsfbgEK4zIiUskDiHpXIk1l25RKijDLxdCHgKoTtn1yaptEwaHH_jjZWnGgTbBwuubxb8ASOOzKiiWpQ7V566b7VZ1_SZAjfZVUjDhnIZkSWJ2gRdLIeqCn0Sx5vjOQ_8IgXTbVzncyKfyK-Y5rfu_-9Ls6lIkUD6wuf8QrEz_gMx9ldU5gG83bmCyP7Ss2a2nMpoUkhyye1W9Gyifu-jFf6NXVOtSDA2aUhpV2gAueK9sHwMVEMz_Dbg-4A9CmZcrZzkhC-oNd0Fb15=w1250-h834-no

Size matters. Especially because I often shoot with one hand. I was saving up for a Nikon D850 DSLR. Then Sony got awesome, and their lens selection got bigger. The timing was nearly perfect. If I would've waited a couple of months, could've saved $300 when Sony dropped the price. No regrets and having a blast!

sony-vs-nikon-1038x576.jpg

Sony has a 55mm on and Nikon a 35mm. Sony's 35mm f/2.8 is the same sizes at the Nikon's.

Last edited:
Awesome! i use to shoot professional for years and was a nikon guy. i've thought about getting back in part time, and seriously looking at Sony. One of my friends that's a big time pro photog switched and loves it.

Awesome! i use to shoot professional for years and was a nikon guy. i've thought about getting back in part time, and seriously looking at Sony. One of my friends that's a big time pro photog switched and loves it.

A lot of people and pros switched. Especially from DSLR to the Sony's Mirrorless cameras. There will probably be more shuffling around, since recently Nikon, Canon and others released their full frame, mirrorless cameras. But they have a lot of catching up to do with lens selections. Adaptors work, but the native lenses perform much better.

A lot of people and pros switched. Especially from DSLR to the Sony's Mirrorless cameras. There will probably be more shuffling around, since recently Nikon, Canon and others released their full frame, mirrorless cameras. But they have a lot of catching up to do with lens selections. Adaptors work, but the native lenses perform much better.

Interestingly Sony has always made Nikon's sensors. I can do everything with those lenses, outside of a telephoto. My ATF lense for outdoor portraits was the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII (somewhat unconventional, but...)

True...which for certain shooting is a major plus but wedding photography. too many pixels = too big files, going thru 3000 42mp files is a PITA

I don't have any problem with my work flow and editing files on my set up. And I do it from an external hard drive. Plus being able to crop in is great plus.

Last edited:
Example of extreme cropping. Original image size is 7952 x 5304 pixels. The inset image is at 100%. The images did get a bit fuzzy with the upload.

_CMY0321_Mokapu-Lanai-sm-box.jpg
_CMY0321_Mokapu-Lanai_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
You editing RAW or JPG? What mp?

I always shoot raw and use Lightroom

I only use RAW and process with Lightroom and Photoshop. I use compressed RAW which is a little over 40MBs. Uncompressed RAW is just over 80MBs. For compressed RAW, tests showed only when you "pixel peep" 400% and larger, is when you can tell. I couldn't tell at 100%. You might see something in astro photography. I'm going to test that out in a couple weeks. When the Moon, Sun and Milkway will make for an interesting image.

Ah now you bring up one of the major complaints about these cameras - the lack of a lossless compressed RAW option. I don't understand how they don't have this yet. Seriously, how hard can it be?

Ah now you bring up one of the major complaints about these cameras - the lack of a lossless compressed RAW option. I don't understand how they don't have this yet. Seriously, how hard can it be?

I'll take and post some test images in uncompressed and compressed RAW.

I'll take and post some test images in uncompressed and compressed RAW.

Thanks!

I’m sure there is minimal difference. It’s more just the idea of lossy compressed that many (if not most) photo nerds don’t like.

Heck I even know of folks who won’t use the lossless compressed option on Nikons because they think they will lose something, even though its explicitly called lossless.

Thanks!

I’m sure there is minimal difference. It’s more just the idea of lossy compressed that many (if not most) photo nerds don’t like.

Heck I even know of folks who won’t use the lossless compressed option on Nikons because they think they will lose something, even though its explicitly called lossless.

I agree. You'll have to wait for the test images. It's all gray and raining today.

Nice thread! I will be picking your mind in the next few months. :) I have till April :)

That sony is one sharp looking device! the build quality looks great!

Back
Top Bottom