Yamaha natural sound A30D and Cambridge soundworks model 17

Heffery5000

Hey all brand new here recently inherited an old yamaha natural sound A30D and a set of cambridge soundworks model 17 speakers i know the stuffs dated but recently thinking about picking up a turntable and just wanted some tips if you think this would be a half decent setup for home listening for a relative newb such as myself

The A30D is unknown to me other than this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/any-info-on-yamaha-a-30d.675859/

Interesting piece :) I think it has panache. :)
(photo from the above-mentioned thread)

YAMAHA%20A-30D%20POWER%20AMPLIFIER.preview.jpg

The CSW Seventeen is a decent-enough little two-way speaker. We have a pair in our "den" hooked to our decidedly old-school TV, VCR-DVD player stuff (we watch very little television) with an older Yamaha receiver as our 'home theater' :p and they're perfectly acceptable from my perspective.

DSC_7484_ by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
CSW17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I assume that the A30D has a phono input(?).

The A30D is unknown to me other than this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/any-info-on-yamaha-a-30d.675859/

Interesting piece :) I think it has panache. :)
(photo from the above-mentioned thread)

YAMAHA%20A-30D%20POWER%20AMPLIFIER.preview.jpg

The CSW Seventeen is a decent-enough little two-way speaker. We have a pair in our "den" hooked to our decidedly old-school TV, VCR-DVD player stuff (we watch very little television) with an older Yamaha receiver as our 'home theater' :p and they're perfectly acceptable from my perspective.

DSC_7484_ by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
CSW17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I assume that the A30D has a phono input(?).

Thanks for the input. It does have a phono input. My old man has a old technics i cant remember if its the iconic 1200 it think it might be the sl1500. I live in Massachusetts not far from woburn so i was thinking if he doesnt want to part ways with his technics i may support the local guys and pickup a Uturn orbit to go with it.

Last edited:
I have found that most CSW (Cambridge SoundWorks) speakers sound awesome! In my opinion, CSW really doesn't get enough credit. The CSW Model 17 speakers sound great alone, but consider adding a CSW subwoofer to the CSW Model 17 speakers and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results! :) I have two CSW powered subwoofers, Model PSW1, matched with other speaker sets. I like them very much. They are 20 years old and I love them, even though one of the PSW1 needs a little work now! By the way, does anyone know where I can get a Service Manual for the CSW PSW1?

Thanks for the input. It does have a phono input. My old man has a old technics i cant remember if its the iconic 1200 it think it might be the sl1500. I live in Massachusetts not far from woburn so i was thinking if he doesnt want to part ways with his technics i may support the local guys and pickup a Uturn orbit to go with it.
I know woob'un well -- worked in Andover, MA for a long, long time (in sight of good ol' I-93, near the lane drop) :)

I think that the assessment of CSW speakers above is a trifle sanguine ;) but the Seventeens -- and, I would opine, even more so the Sixes (FWIW) -- were high value, good basic loudspeakers. The Sixes are easily, greatly improved with a crossover rehab published in 2001 in audioXpress. I have yet to learn much on upgrades to the Seventeens, although I've also never gotten up the gumption to open mine up. I should mention that I've had two pairs of Seventeens over the years (both dump finds) and I also (still) have a pair of Sixes (as does our daughter -- we sent her off to college with a pair, including the XO upgrade mentioned above).

Yeah, get that Yamaha -- it's cool.

I am something of a Yamaha fanboy, I'm afraid.

DSC_0242 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom