The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Thank you sir. It's been quite the education for me and I'm the one who started the thread!
It really has been a blast sharing, learning and enjoying this unique and little known genre.

The beauty of discovering Raven et al at this point in your life is that it's all new and fresh and something to get excited about.

Precisely.

Hey, I still get goosebumps when(ever) I listen to Metallica @ Seattle '89. This Raven '84 recording inspires likewise and in all liklihood will continue to for years.

While I'm here, a question for the gurus:

Why are Judas Priest not counted among the NWOBHM set while Lemmy & Co. are? Or ought we also be including Mr Halford & Co.? Sure, they're not included in "lists" e.g. Wikedpedia, but here we make the rules, we decide which to and which not to include on "the list", yes? Anyway, curious re: your opinions of The Priests @ NWOBHM.
For whatever reason I've never liked Judas Priest. I know that seems odd for someone with my taste in music. JP should be a no brainer, but Halford's vocals are just too over the top and the music (the popular stuff) is too "sing along with me"
Also, for me at least they were too big at the time of the NWOBHM. The music didn't have a grass roots, working man, D.I.Y. feel to it. They were far too slick and polished and came across with a Rock God vibe, you know? Like "We're up here and you're down there". Iron Maiden, Saxon and Motorhead never gave me that feeling. Even Def Leppard didn't come across that way even in their heyday.

For whatever reason I've never liked Judas Priest. I know that seems odd for someone with my taste in music. JP should be a no brainer, but Halford's vocals are just too over the top and the music (the popular stuff) is too "sing along with me"
Also, for me at least they were too big at the time of the NWOBHM. The music didn't have a grass roots, working man, D.I.Y. feel to it. They were far too slick and polished and came across with a Rock God vibe, you know? Like "We're up here and you're down there". Iron Maiden, Saxon and Motorhead never gave me that feeling. Even Def Leppard didn't come across that way even in their heyday.

They were over the top to be sure, but what about all that leather, LOL?

I think "over the top" may have been the wrong choice of words. I mean, I like King Diamond for crying out loud!!!
011.jpg

Halford's voice irritates me. I can hear the amazing range and all that, but he's in too high of a register or something, it's like screeching cats and nails on chalkboards at the same time.

Manowar
Hail To England
(Music For Nations, 1984)

Although not to be counted among the NWOBHM bands -- they are, after all, from New York State, USA! -- this, their third album, is essentially a "tribute" to the NWOBHM genre.
I need to revisit Hail To England. I always thought of it as a thank you to their British fans for helping them become popular, but I've never actually studied the lyrics.
002.jpg

I Love priest. Especially the first 2 albums with "Sad Wings of Destiny" being on top. It sets a standard of its own. JP come from a whole different generation and age bracket in my mind than the bands discussed in this thread.

Right. But then again so did Motorhead. Lemmy was born in 1945, so he's 10 to 15 years older than the bulk of NWOBHM artists. Fast Eddie was born in '50 and Phil Taylor in '54, but we generally consider them to be of the genre.
The guys in Saxon were the same age as Halford & Co. Can age be considered a criteria?

Right. But then again so did Motorhead. Lemmy was born in 1945, so he's 10 to 15 years older than the bulk of NWOBHM artists. Fast Eddie was born in '50 and Phil Taylor in '54, but we generally consider them to be of the genre.
The guys in Saxon were the same age as Halford & Co. Can age be considered a criteria?

That's sorta why I asked, seems that Priest has to be considered @ some level, esp. since they brought w/ 'em their own sound, and weren't Motorhead retreads. It's complicated, y'know?

P.S. re: Motorhead retread -- could any living soul(s) actually have succeeded in "sounding like" Lemmy, Eddie, and Phil?

Good point. I don't consider Motorhead part of the sound either but I guess when you draw a line there can always be an exception. Sort of how building walls does not now will it ever work if we are looking for an analogy.

Saxon/Priest/Motorhead, none of them sound like Mithrandir though! Or Dawnwatcher!! :rflmao:

That's sorta why I asked, seems that Priest has to be considered @ some level, esp. since they brought w/ 'em their own sound, and weren't Motorhead retreads. It's complicated, y'know?

P.S. re: Motorhead retread -- could any living soul(s) actually have succeeded in "sounding like" Lemmy, Eddie, and Phil?
There are some good Motorhead clone bands out there. Check out Shellshock "Die for Allah" from Belgium.

Bulldozer from Italy could never have existed without the massive influence of those unholy noise bangers Venom. Not subtle, they will crush your cranium. This is the lavish digibook edition that came out fairly recently. Their 2nd full length from 1986.

IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG

Back
Top Bottom