9090DB power switch

55trucker

Hello there:

seems my needed repairs to my receiver is beginning to grow larger.

The power switch has finally decided to *not wanna do this anymore*

Pulled it apart to find the contacts on just the arms have burnt themselves to beyond repair.

the switch is an ALPS SDGP5....I could repair it if replacement contact arms could be had, but if not does anyone have the switch at all?

thx for any help,

Steve

The two small swing arms are made of copper, the contacts on the ends of the arms look for all the world like the flints one finds in an acetylene torch striker (sparker). They've burnt to near nothing. The switch has 5 terminals in the casing but only 4 are actually made use of, the center terminal is not used.

Whats on the other set? A cap? Move the wires to that side. I don't remember off hand.

Rob

this is the basic switch.......

this pic has only 4 terminals, the centre terminal is missing (tho that terminal is not used) the two small swingarms (think bi-metal strips) inside move sideways in two directions (basically a go/no go movement), the contacts are on one side of each arm, in the off position there is no contact for either swingarm, push the button and both arms are forced sideways in one direction where the contacts on the ends of the 2 arms close to meet the contacts inside the molded phenolic housing. Each arm has a small wire spring in the shape of a sine wave slipped into the end of the arm at the contact end & at the other end a recess in the housing that holds the arm in position in either the off or on position.

I've come across a switch from a vendor in the states but they will NOT cross border ship.

Steve

Attachments

• ALPS sdgp3 TV-5 power switch.jpg
    ALPS sdgp3 TV-5 power switch.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 35
I think the biggest reason these switches fail is due to overloading the "Switched" electrical outlet on the back of the receiver. It's meant for a turntable and not much more.

- Pete

Quite possibly so, I could not honestly confirm that as I don't make use of the A/C outlets on the back of the chassis, but after near 40 years one doesn't expect everything to last forever.

If you can get the switch to go and stay on, the easy way out is get a switchable power strip and turn on and off with that. And plug all cd player, TT etc into the power strip too.
Charlie

If you can get the switch to go and stay on, the easy way out is get a switchable power strip and turn on and off with that. And plug all cd player, TT etc into the power strip too.
Charlie

Unfortunately the switch is *dead*, the contacts are burnt so badly they are past the point of saving except for permanently soldering them closed.

A quick search of *that big auction site* for "alps tv5" yielded quite a few hits, some used and some new. Most were reasonably priced. If exchange rates and international shipping make other sources already given impractical, then that's probably be your next best bet. Note that there appear to be numerous variations on the TV5 switch, making it a bit more challenging to pick the correct one.

Well, I came across a new *old stock* Alps switch from a supplier in China last Monday, purchased it for $25Can (including fastpak shipping).

Received it yesterday, soldered it into place/installed it & the receiver is up & running again, rather nice to NOT hear the snap crackle pop that was going on with the old one.

Now I just have to sort out the Dolby board, I've been running the pre-amp bypassed for some time now and just using the main amp.

Back
Top Bottom