The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

We've discussed this band a good deal, but I don't believe the debut album has been posted yet.
In my opinion it's one of the dozen or so must have albums of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.
Together with Neat Records stablemates Raven, they virtually invented thrash metal with their previous singles Back Street Woman, Axe Crazy and the Power Games LP.
I've never heard the follow-up album "This Time" but I understand it was a disappointment to the fans as they went in a more melodic direction.

Jaguar - Power Games
1983 Neat Records NEAT 1007

https://www.discogs.com/Jaguar-Power-Games/master/113624
005.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

A nice albeit short review here dated May 25th, 2017 by none other than Geoff Barton, the writer who popularized the term New Wave Of British Heavy Metal in Sounds magazine.
https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/jaguar-power-games-album-review

Jaguar - Power Games album review
The E-Type of the NWOBHM

"Jaguar may not be one of the most revered of bands from the second wave of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, but the truth is they were extremely influential.

Signed to the legendary Neat Records, like labelmates Raven, these Bristolian big cats played fast and loose, and unwittingly helped create the genres we know today as thrash and speed metal. Play this, their 1982 debut album, back-to-back with Metallica’s No Life ’Til Leather demo (also from ’82) and you can barely see the join.

As this very scribe said of Jaguar back in the day, the guitar turns over like a bulldozer with sooty spark plugs, the rhythm section pulses out an 18-pint hangover throb, the singer opens his lungs and bawls like a foghorn, and the end result is, not surprisingly, one helluva noise.

Power Games has three key ingredients: earthiness, enthusiasm and naïveté. Tracks such as Master Game, Coldheart and, particularly, Axe Crazy are fond reminders of the days when heavy metal was pretenceless, square-shooting and bloody good fun.

Oh, and a special mention for opening track Dutch Connection, a tribute Jaguar’s early-career popularity in Holland. ‘I really fell for you and your wooden shoes,’ bellows vocalist Paul Merrell. It fair brings a tear to the eye"

Last edited:
Been listening to Power Games all day as I've been digitizing the vinyl along with the 45's.
Realized that I had never digitized it last night and had to rectify that situation.

You're right, there's nothing like that album. How did these guys fall by the wayside? They were supposed to be huge.
They should have been huge. Instead they're legends.

"Power Games" is such a banger, cannot think of another album like it either from that era. Been awhile since I listened to it.

I've got a bit of a NWOBHM "backlog" to work through, this album being among them. I might get to it tonight or more likely tomorrow since I have some Witchfynde, Satan, some older (circa '83) live Metallica to work through today (and tomorrow, along w/ the Jaguar). I must say that the Barton review has me thinking about moving the Jaguar LP up in the 'pending playlist' queue.

Since the last group shot of Jaguar was in an identifiable location, and knowing that they were from Bristol, England I decided to see what I could find out.

It's the Clifton Suspension Bridge over the River Avon and gorge which links Clifton, Bristol with Leigh Woods, North Somerset. The bridge was built in 1864. It's 31 foot width spans over 1300 feet at 245 feet high. Certainly an architectural marvel of it's time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifton_Suspension_Bridge
1920px-Clifton_Suspension_Bridge-9350.jpg

Suspension_bridge_at_Clifton.jpg

1920px-Commemorative_plaque_on_the_Clifton_Suspension_Bridge.jpg

Since the last group shot of Jaguar was in an identifiable location, and knowing that they were from Bristol, England I decided to see what I could find out.

It's the Clifton Suspension Bridge over the River Avon and gorge which links Clifton, Bristol with Leigh Woods, North Somerset. The bridge was built in 1864. It's 31 foot width spans over 1300 feet at 245 feet high. Certainly an architectural marvel of it's time.

A fine bit of sleuthing on your part, sir.

Not gonna lie... some of the jeans are so tight they are making me uncomfortable :p LOL

The gent 2nd to the right has some man hips going on.. ;) And all the hipsters thought thy started the "skinny jeans" fad.. Nope...Jaguar did it 1st.

The bridge info was quite cool, reminds me of the golden gate design. My brother in law is a Golden Gate officer for SFPD. His job is to try to catch jumpers, kind of a messed up job really. He gets to take a few trips up the top of the bridge, I think he gets to do it 3x a year where he can take 2-3 people at a time. He's asked if me and my gal want to do it, its really rare to be able to get to the top, we have yet to do it. Him and my sister did it a few months back and sent me the pictures. :)

Thanks,
It's an old habit that I developed at Gettysburg. Matching historic photographs to their locations.
144d9e37112aaaf5dbb5c6a5120a1234.jpg

wow man frank you just moved up in my book substantially, I love reading your posts. Always filled with great facts and good history. I kind assumed you were a military buff as ive seen many of your other posts and your painted solider was quite prolific, I like to study WW1 and WW2.

I love learning about the trench warfare in WW1.

Are you familiar with the 1917 underground bombing of the Germans trenches and strongholds? It was the largest explosion in history prior to the atom bomb. If you are into the British fight that is one story you should look into.

Man Frank, you never let me down LOL

wow man frank you just moved up in my book substantially, I love reading your posts. Always filled with great facts and good history. I kind assumed you were a military buff as ive seen many of your other posts and your painted solider was quite prolific, I like to study WW1 and WW2.

I love learning about the trench warfare in WW1.

Are you familiar with the 1917 underground bombing of the Germans trenches and strongholds? It was the largest explosion in history prior to the atom bomb. If you are into the British fight that is one story you should look into.

Man Frank, you never let me down LOL
Well thanks John. I've been a history buff for as long as I can remember.Mostly American Civil War history though.
WWI, The Great War has always fascinated me as well although I don't know a lot about it.
There was a similar underground mining/explosion during the CW at Petersburg, VA. The Battle Of The Crater, made famous in the movie Cold Mountain.
The explosion is quite impressive in this clip from the movie. The battle scenes are brutal.

Back in 2002 the BBC did one of those reality shows where ordinary people are placed in historic environments and then they live the life for prolonged periods. They did one about WWI British foot soldiers called "The Trench". Fascinating stuff.
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1388601/index.html

OK, we've strayed way off the path, LOL, but that's cool with me.
Steering back and keeping with the conversation, Here's some stone cold NWOBHM World War One storytelling,
Sledgehammers "Over The Top".
013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom