Audio By Van Alstine Transcendence 10 SL. Any opinions or experience with it or his gear?

HiFiJeff

I am getting ready to purchase a new tube pre-amp for my system soon and really narrowed it down to a few. This is one of them.

https://avahifi.com/collections/pre...e-10-sl-with-remote-control-silver-face-plate

upload_2019-1-10_12-41-18.png
Seems like a real solid company with a big following, especially over at audiocircle.com. They do RMAF every year and I have heard their stuff before. Pretty nice stuff. The Absolute Sound, January issue, just reviewed this pre-amp and his SET120 power amp. Got a pretty nice review and write up. Ironically, the reviewer even used the speakers I own, the ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. So based upon his findings, I could end up with a very nice sounding set up. Only difference is I have the NuForce STA-200 Amp. Which might even be better than the SET 120. But was wondering if anyone else has experience with AVA stuff?

No experience with his tube gear, but I love my 2 year old SS preamp and 3 year old SS amp.

Well why the heck is an SS guy hanging out with the tube guys? LOL :)

Just kidding. What are the models you are talking about? And I actually talked to Frank today. What a GREAT and nice guy. He really explained a lot. He did tell me that his new Tube pre-amp offering is better than his similarly priced SS pre-amp. But I will be mating this tube pre with an SS amp. Should be some nice synergy.

Insight+ Double 440 HC
Vision SL Solid State Preamplifier w/ remote

I was considering the tube pre, but my vision is not what it used to be and I was concerned about changing tubes in the future.

Insight+ Double 440 HC

I was considering the tube pre, but my vision is not what it used to be and I was concerned about changing tubes in the future.

Elaborate. What do you mean?

I don't have enough confidence in my mechanical skills and close up vision to open the case and change tubes. No problem in my younger days, I even changed the volume pot on my Dynaco PAS3X.

I don't have enough confidence in my mechanical skills and close up vision to open the case and change tubes. No problem in my younger days, I even changed the volume pot on my Dynaco PAS3X.

Oh!!! Hahahaha! :)

I thought you were meaning that your "Vison" SL Pre-amp is not what it used to be. I totally misunderstood what you were saying. If you look at your posts one can come to that conclusion. I was like, what, does Frank's pre-amps and amps go bad after awhile??? You actually almost scared me off from making a purchase.

Insight+ Double 440 HC

Yeah, your post looks like it was stating that his Vision Pre is not what it used to be. LOL :)

I was like no, I can't get an AVA product if it doesn't last.

I am trying to build a system that I will be happy with for the next 10-15 years.

Looking forward to your reviews. I really like my Parasound gear, but have always had an eye on the AVA gear. They get great reviews. Thanks!

Looking forward to your reviews. I really like my Parasound gear, but have always had an eye on the AVA gear. They get great reviews. Thanks!

Yeah. It will be about 30 days. But I will for sure post results. The January issue of The Absolute Sound really liked it. He went on to say tha it was the best value he had ever reviewed. That’s a big statement. I have no doubt that AVA gear is stellar. I have actually heard his stuff at RMAF. I am really excited!

Hey
I have an transcendence 8. I've been happy with it. It came from ebay a couple or3 yrs. Ago. It doesn't get the use it deserves as it is downstairs. I'm using it with a 5 watt 6v6 amp and k horns.
They are a pain to break into. It's like 13 screws holding the top on. Yes, built like a tank.There are 2 tubes inside (I dont remember the type) EH brand. Eric

Frank has been modifying and building high-bang-for-the-buck gear since the 1970s. I used his FET-5 preamp in the late 70s when he was modifying a lot of Dyna gear.

While I later moved to using Audio Research gear (which he has also worked on as another Minnesota based company), I would likely be very happy with that preamp. Designs are typically simple using high quality parts that are easy to source and repair if needed.

I have one of his "Super Pas" that came from Jensens Stereo Shop. I was told that was his shop prior to his current endeavor. It has tone controls and balance bypassed. It sounds good but I have never had it matched with an amp that does it justice. It was a little too laid back matched with a 275 VI.

We can still service any AVA preamps we have ever built, including the PAS version, with a few exceptions regarding control hardware in old Hafler based upgrades.

I've been thinking about the same preamp so please keep us posted. BTW, I met Frank at RMAF. Great guy and his set up sounded great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom