Sears, not the internet's fault

At least in my area malls and shopping areas are close to freeways and the major public transportation. Population is growing fast and housing is very limited. So the new housing building model is building 3 story apartments and condos near shopping, freeways and public trans, and or stores on the ground level. This is designed to get people out of their cars and to have everything in walking distance.
yuk....

When there was a small Sears outlet in town, I went there for things such as my Craftsman riding mower (really a MTD I think), and other appliance/tools types of things. The old Craftsman name and warranty still held true (not that I think it applied to my mower) in my mind. As long as the warranty and service was there, I wouldn't care if the hand tool was produce

The biggie for me was being able to walk into a Sears, buy a Snowblower $500. which I dearly needed, without paying for it. I have a Craftsman MTD rider lawn tractor for the same reason. Easy credit. Took less then a year to pay it off but it got lots of use in the meantime.

The Sears Hardware store near me closed.
The Sears department store went from 3 floors to one.
The K Mart next to Sears shut a year ago. That was shocking for it had been there forever.
There was little help anywhere when I went looking for another vacuum cleaner around Thanksgiving.
Sears, from what I remember reading, really did spearhead online shopping. I don't know why it failed though.

Fry's is a disaster that has so much potential. They opened a new one around here a decade or so back and it was so nice, clean and well organized. But it didn't last. Now it is run down and disorganized just like their other store in the area. The sound rooms are now just filled with piles of speakers that aren't hooked up. They have a 20 seat theater to show off the top of the line stuff that isn't used. Their rows of speakers and amplifiers rarely work. The shelves are a mess, things are not in the spot that they belong so it is hard to tell what is what price. Their salespeople seem annoyed if you ask them anything. The employees just stand around instead of cleaning up their areas. They will have only 2 registers open for the entire store on a Saturday afternoon. And don't even get me started on trying to find something on their web site.

What you are seeing is the lack of commission sales. Those things were tools of the high commission salesman. i was one and believe me all that stuff would have been working.

finding a pair of Levi's the right size
That's another story. Levi's suck. I bought my last pair from them 10 or so years ago just before they moved their mfg off shore. Reason was the damn things stopped fitting. I have been buying wranglers ever since.

Without pointing fingers at questionable business decisions, it's hard to see any retail business compete these days. Granted, Sears was the king of the "big box stores" and they had it covered long before Wallyworld came along. Times have changed, we want cheap and disposable. Sears used to stand for quality, or at least durable. Totally out of fashion for the masses anymore.
I had forgotten an analysis done in the 90's of sears..not only were they expansive in goods available - they also (mostly) invented consumer credit - aka store credit - via the infamous charge plate so america could shop and farm out the payments. A lot of downfall came when they started allowing unsecured credit - aka bank cards, their own discover, amex, visa et. Now they lost the threat of collections/repossession.

I had always used craftsman tools, personally and in the shop, based on my elders adherence (in fact last summer I replaced a 16oz GP hammer that broke after 25 years - this hammer built houses, garages, sheds). IF craftsman tools are now junk (china does not HAVE to equal junk...but sadly it mostly does) then I am glad I am old with few years left cuz I am not paying the rape for (also) china made snapon and store brands..I just have to replace breakage and now that the shop is mostly dormant, chances are few

There was little help anywhere when I went looking for another vacuum cleaner around Thanksgiving.

OMG, shameless plug:

a few years back - 2 - I got the best canister vac kenmore made. and it is nice but has a LOT of plastic. this past late fall the wife sees a dyson closeout of a $500 machine for 250 on hsn, limited amount so she buys it. we do a test. I vacuum the 'playroom/family room' until the 'dirt detected' light goes out on the kenmore. we bring in the dyson and it practically assembles a dirty dog in the hopper from what it finds in a few moments.

Im sold.

we have 1 jack russel and keep the (mostly) hardwood floors and carpet clean to avoid any doggy smell and keep a charcoal pre-filter in the hvac box. but this machine changes the game. dyuson sucks, in a good way.

def4d2709b7b012f2fe400163e41dd5b

I worked at a company that was paying a consultant thousands of dollars a day to tell them how to improve things. One of his ideas was completely impractical and I was arguing against it when the manager of another store took me aside and said "You won't win. Just say 'That is a great idea, we will look at implementing it' the consultant will move on and the boss will think you've acted on it and will forget about it" Part of me died that day.

Funny stuff. I actually bought this shirt way long ago at of all places "Fry's"

6a7dab4cc0bd2d65adc63f07dc2fc27f.jpg

Anyhow Sears just lost their way. And by the time they realized it the nails were already mostly in the coffin.

Frannie

OMG, shameless plug:

a few years back - 2 - I got the best canister vac kenmore made. and it is nice but has a LOT of plastic. this past late fall the wife sees a dyson closeout of a $500 machine for 250 on hsn, limited amount so she buys it .dyuson sucks, in a good way.

My boss swears by Dyson. But I don't like uprights.
I've got 2 running Kenmores with 2 backups. Over the years they've gotten smaller . The canisters have never failed, it's the hoses that break.

The biggie for me was being able to walk into a Sears, buy a Snowblower $500. which I dearly needed, without paying for it. I have a Craftsman MTD rider lawn tractor for the same reason. Easy credit. Took less then a year to pay it off but it got lots of use in the meantime.
Let's not forget about Sears moving their finance dept to Deleware so they could jack up interest rates on the Sears Card to 18%! When that happened, I cut up my Sears Card on the spot. Sears was my first credit card, I'm sure like many. Greed - plain and simple. Years of such decisions and here we are today.

dyson of course is ALL plastic from the looks of it, except for their tiny "digital motah". Time will tell if they hold up as well as they suck dirt. You could always depend on a heavy old Kenmore (or Eureka or whatever). Too bad we can't have both improved performance and the dependability we always had.

My boss swears by Dyson. But I don't like uprights.
I've got 2 running Kenmores with 2 backups. Over the years they've gotten smaller . The canisters have never failed, it's the hoses that break.

I have both the V-8 Animal (cordless) and the "Small-Ball" multi-floor. I also had an Oreck upright that iIthought did a damn good job on the carpet.

Wrong.

The Oreck left a ton of stuff in the carpet, that both Dysons pulled out. The cordless works almost as well as the corded.

What you are seeing is the lack of commission sales. Those things were tools of the high commission salesman. i was one and believe me all that stuff would have been working.

That was certainly a turning point in retail sales--the big push to "regain consumer confidence" by going to non-commissioned sales staff and no-haggle pricing. It (very temporarily) made people believe that they were getting a "better deal" because the price is what it is--take it or leave it, and the person standing here in front of you makes no more or less money regardless of whether they "sell" something or not, BUT doesn't care whether you come back next week/month/year and buy something else. They just "do their time and make their dime", and go home.

Now, all the consumer does is go look at something, and then pull up 100 different web-sites on their phone/computer to find which vendor has the cheapest/quickest delivery to their door--socks or an SUV--doesn't matter.

In the early part of the 20th century Sears sold mail order homes. Which even today would be innovative. All materials were delivered to one's lot for DIY assembly ( instructions included ). I've seen a few still standing today in my town. They were bungalow style and quite charming.

In the early part of the 20th century Sears sold mail order homes. Which even today would be innovative. All materials were delivered to one's lot for DIY assembly ( instructions included ). I've seen a few still standing today in my town. They were bungalow style and quite charming.
Amazon will have drones deliver em and sent a gaggle of robots to build em.

Like the do-bees

EDIT:: Groobee's

Frannie

There is a whole lot more to the story. Eddie Lampert made KKR and Bain Capital look like philanthropists.

Exactly. I blame one key person and his ideas for the Sears demise. That blame lies on one Eddie Lampert. And I despise KKR, Bain Capital and other vulture capitalist firms. They destroy good companies.

Back
Top Bottom