Today's JAZZ playlist

I gave it a second listen. (Actually, the DMM isn't all that bad, as you said.) I find this much more listenable than the "Both Directions..." set and even the "Favorite Things" album, both of which are the ones I "left" at a friends house.

Per your recommendation, I'll seek out some earlier 'Trane and see what I think.

You know, real quick, I guess the reason I said I wouldn't recommend "Blue Train" is because a couple of the songs go on for quite a while, you hear Trane and then he's gone for 10 minutes. Also a couple of the tunes I kind of feel go on a little long and don't vary it up. But of course, it's a great album. Nice blowing session, and Trane plays great.

You know, real quick, I guess the reason I said I wouldn't recommend "Blue Train" is because a couple of the songs go on for quite a while, you hear Trane and then he's gone for 10 minutes. Also a couple of the tunes I kind of feel go on a little long and don't vary it up. But of course, it's a great album. Nice blowing session, and Trane plays great.

I prefer a longer tune (I love to hear what a good musician has to say without being constrained to, say, 1-2 choruses) so that's not an issue. This is a good spin and I'm not sure why I never cracked it open. (It must have been here for 5 years...) Plus you get to hear Chamber's bowed bass on each side, so that's not so bad. :D

I've started (and abandoned, about three times) what it is about 'Trane's playing that doesn't do it for me, but I'm so hesitant to give critical commentary that I haven't been able to actually hit "submit" yet. Maybe I'll re-hash it in a PM...

DC

Yes indeed Gannon. I won't presume to forecast your taste on this album, but it's a winner for me.

Here is a little taste;

I like it because with the Violin, it has that "French Jazz" flair to my ears.

That is beyond lovely! I, too had no idea that this recording existed. My introduction to Grappelli's work was through David Grisman's quintet in the late 70's/early 80's. I remember a Tonight Show with Johnny Carson where they were the musical act at the end of the show. I shared his music with my late father in law, who was an accomplished violinist among his many other talents (e.g. he taught me how to wire a house). To me, Stephanne Grappelli was like Coletrane in that he was an inexhaustible wellspring of melody/ideas when he got going. To be sure it was a different era/aesthetic, but they shared the same roots in the collective unconscious.

I prefer a longer tune (I love to hear what a good musician has to say without being constrained to, say, 1-2 choruses) so that's not an issue. This is a good spin and I'm not sure why I never cracked it open. (It must have been here for 5 years...) Plus you get to hear Chamber's bowed bass on each side, so that's not so bad. :D

I've started (and abandoned, about three times) what it is about 'Trane's playing that doesn't do it for me, but I'm so hesitant to give critical commentary that I haven't been able to actually hit "submit" yet. Maybe I'll re-hash it in a PM...

DC

Lol, there were things I started and then stopped too, thinking it would be better to send you a PM. We'll have to continue this conversation!

I love long tunes too, of course. I love to hear players stretch out. I was really kind of commenting on how on a couple of tunes, I kind of felt things went on a little too long, that they weren't varied up. But in that I haven't listened to this LP in such a long time, I can't even give you the name of the tunes off the top of my head. I will listen again, and I will send you a PM.

DC

Lol, there were things I started and then stopped too, thinking it would be better to send you a PM. We'll have to continue this conversation!

I love long tunes too, of course. I love to hear players stretch out. I was really kind of commenting on how on a couple of tunes, I kind of felt things went on a little too long, that they weren't varied up. But in that I haven't listened to this LP in such a long time, I can't even give you the name of the tunes off the top of my head. I will listen again, and I will send you a PM.

I've got a reissue copy of this I need to give some ear time to. I'll give it a spin and maybe we can have a public discussion. The one anecdotal story I know about the title tune is that somebody painstakingly transcribed Trane's solo on the title track and asked him to play it for them. His response was, "I can't, it's too difficult."

I've got a reissue copy of this I need to give some ear time to. I'll give it a spin and maybe we can have a public discussion. The one anecdotal story I know about the title tune is that somebody painstakingly transcribed Trane's solo on the title track and asked him to play it for them. His response was, "I can't, it's too difficult."

I read that in a book about Trane, but I don't recall it being about the solo from "Blue Train". I have the book, and I could try to find the passage. Might take me a while because I haven't looked at the book in a really long time.

Yeah, we don't have to keep our opinions under wraps or anything. I may have made a couple of more comments, but while I've had "Blue Train" for almost 40 years, I haven't listened to it a lot, and not in a long time, and wanted to make sure I was accurately saying what I wanted to.

One of my favorite albums of 2018.
Q9qXWgl.jpg

I was listening to this late last night, and what a DELIGHT. Love his soulful singing, and his phrasing. What a true jazzman. I've neglected listening to him all these years. Gonna start picking up a lot of his stuff.

What started my listening to him was several months ago, I caught this magical clip of him with Eddie Lockjaw Davis on the Oscar Peterson Show. And then, one of you guys just recently posted something by him, and I listened to an LP off YouTube. Decided to listen to him some more last night, and I'm going to continue doing that.

Here's the clip from the Oscar show of Lockjaw and Jackie Davis. If you want to dig some HIP JAZZ, check it out at 15:18. I put this up before, but here it is again.

I will have to check that out JG. I have that first Jackie Davis album, but it's pretty pedestrian stuff. He is supposed to be one of the godfathers of Hammond organ; I knew there had to be more to him than those bad pop arrangements.

Commute In: Coleman Hawkins, "Swingville-- Coleman Hawkins"

GJ

Her name was Zita Carno, if I remember my 'Trane lore correctly.

GJ

Back
Top Bottom