Aragon 4004 transformer noise

marknoir

Both of my Aragon 4004 have transformer noise. My old Adcom 5802 had the same problem but Emotiva filter cured it. More of a humming roar, varying up and down in volume. Read on forums that it is due to DC offset on my AC line. Measuring about 160 mV max. Tried a few DC line filters (not sure if I should name manufacturers here). Most had no effect, one had eliminated the noise, but sound became totally dead and cold - also a phenomenon described on forums. Has anybody been able to solve this problem? Isolation transformer perhaps? Live with noise? Switch to different amps? Move to another apartment? Or city?

I used to own the Aragon 4004 MKII power amplifier and I suffered the same problem. I tried everything and nothing got rid of the loud hum.

I sold the 4004 amp and the Aragon preamp I had at that time and purchased a different brand of electronics. Problem solved.

I used to own the Aragon 4004 MKII power amplifier and I suffered the same problem. I tried everything and nothing got rid of the loud hum.

I sold the 4004 amp and the Aragon preamp I had at that time and purchased a different brand of electronics. Problem solved.

Thx. I guess that’s the way to go...

I hope you don't take my post as condescending, I didn't mean it that way. Mondial Designs products were extremely popular back in the day and provided good value per dollar.

My decision to sell was just my opinion. To this day there are many people still using their products and are happy.

That 4004 had tons of power.

I hope you don't take my post as condescending, I didn't mean it that way. Mondial Designs products were extremely popular back in the day and provided good value per dollar.

My decision to sell was just my opinion. To this day there are many people still using their products and are happy.

That 4004 had tons of power.
No, I only bought them because they are ok for the money. But the hum is driving me nuts. So out they go :)))

I believe Aragon’s trannies are notorious for hums (maybe they don’t know the words?)

But seriously, mine does too, but after tightening down the bolt that holds it helped; also at my listening distance it isn’t too disruptive.

It wasn’t my perfect choice for an amp, but I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse.

I believe Aragon’s trannies are notorious for hums (maybe they don’t know the words?)

But seriously, mine does too, but after tightening down the bolt that holds it helped; also at my listening distance it isn’t too disruptive.

It wasn’t my perfect choice for an amp, but I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Hi. Sane here :)) Adcom 5802 moved my Infinity Gamma much better, but sound quality was questionable. I got Aragons very cheap, one needed some work, which I did. They do not have the same flap-em-around power (read current capability) as the Adcom, but they are a lot cleaner. I guess time to upgrade.

Hi. Sane here :)) Adcom 5802 moved my Infinity Gamma much better, but sound quality was questionable. I got Aragons very cheap, one needed some work, which I did. They do not have the same flap-em-around power (read current capability) as the Adcom, but they are a lot cleaner. I guess time to upgrade.
Wow! Didn’t know Adcoms had better grunt than Aragon 4004 mk. II; mine seems to dump current ok. If you can find an older Krell that might do it (I saw an article where someone arc welded with one - for real!)

Last edited:
Wow! Didn’t know Adcoms had better grunt than Aragon 4004 mk. II: mine seems to dump current ok. If you can find an older Krell that might do it (I saw an article where someone arc welded with one - for real!)

I can’t vouch for all Adcoms. The GFA-5802 was top of the line, with 300w p/ch into 8 ohms, 600w into 4, and 16 output transistors (!) per channel :)). Aragon has only 8. Aragon uses a different bias scheme. It consumes very little at idle, but begins to consume more as demand rises. 5802 is biased very hot at idle and sounds faster to me. I wish it sounded cleaner... I used to have a pair of Classe DR-9, and you could definitely weld with them :)). The problem with older Krells (and other good amps) is rebuilding them costs a lot. Unlike Aragons, which was cheap. I’m thinking of may be newer Classe?

I can’t vouch for all Adcoms. The GFA-5802 was top of the line, with 300w p/ch into 8 ohms, 600w into 4, and 16 output transistors (!) per channel :)). Aragon has only 8. Aragon uses a different bias scheme. It consumes very little at idle, but begins to consume more as demand rises. 5802 is biased very hot at idle and sounds faster to me. I wish it sounded cleaner... I used to have a pair of Classe DR-9, and you could definitely weld with them :)). The problem with older Krells (and other good amps) is rebuilding them costs a lot. Unlike Aragons, which was cheap. I’m thinking of may be newer Classe?
Ha! Not that cheap. I placed a call to the designated Aragon repair place for a total recap and they quoted $500.

Heh, I don’t think so...

Ha! Not that cheap. I placed a call to the designated Aragon repair place for a total recap and they quoted $500.

Heh, I don’t think so...
I didn’t change the big cans. They are ok. Impossible to find exact replacement. The 4 of closest ones would probably cost around $150. Then modifications have to be implemented to fit them in. The small caps are cheap. Repair shop charges mostly for labor, understandably, it is involved.

I didn’t change the big cans. They are ok. Impossible to find exact replacement. The 4 of closest ones would probably cost around $150. Then modifications have to be implemented to fit them in. The small caps are cheap. Repair shop charges mostly for labor, understandably, it is involved.
Roger that.

Still running my Aragon 4004 mk2. Purchased in 1996 new, it has been flawless. Still running with the 24k pre amp w/ips and 47k phono preamp. Never a problem. A little bit of hum sometimes, but I have traced it to dirty power coming from outside construction or some type of interference is occurring. When the interference goes away, so does the hum. I've never had this hum on the weekends when there is no dirty power. I still love the sound of this amp powering a pair of maggie mg 3.6 speakers. One day when it needs a recap, I will have it done. I don't find the need to upgrade and certainly do not wish to spend big bucks on another amp and pre amp. I'm retired and an careful what I spend my cash on these days. The Aragon and Magnepan's have great synergy together.

Aragon 4004 mk2
Aragon 24ksp
Aragon 47k
Meridian 507
VPI Scout
Benz Wood Body H2
Kimber Select throughout
Rhythmic Subwoofer HP-15

Attachments

• Aragon system.jpg
    Aragon system.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 6