Chromecast Audio discontinued

Not all that big a surprise with the $15 price tag that it's for the past couple of months.

I bought one during the pre-Christmas sales, wonder if I can justify a second one?

Mark Gosdin

Not all that big a surprise with the $15 price tag that it's for the past couple of months.

I bought one during the pre-Christmas sales, wonder if I can justify a second one?

Mark Gosdin

Probably worth having around as a spare.

My thoughts as well and no, it's really no surprise. Mine are for occasional use--one at home, one for travel. I bought two more.

I've had one for a couple of years and it has generally worked great (aside from some glitches that are probably due to my controlling it through my iPhone). The optical audio out is a nice touch, though I usually just rely on the internal DAC/analog out. Anyway, I decided to pick up another as a spare.

The internal DAC sounds very good, IMO. The systems I pair it with generally don't resolve well enough to benefit from the optical out. I've never experienced any glitches with mine in the few years I've been using them. My only real gripe is that Chromecast requires an internet connection back to the "mother ship", even when streaming audio from a LAN.

The Chromecast AUDIO is discontinued. It isn't USB or HDMI. In fact, I don't believe there ever was a "USB" version of any Chromecast. Generation 1 was HDMI. I have 3 of those, and they have have been running flawlessly for years.

Staples might still have them.
...and they now appear sold out just about everywhere. I would have liked to have picked up a couple of extra ones, esp for 15 bucks a piece.

Just grabbed another one on the Google Store. $15 + $3.99 shipping, no longer free. Oh well.

They never worked very well casting from a phone app, would go out of synch, then were a pain to kill the stream. With the Google Home Hub, though, they work perfectly, sending audio by default to audio system while the Hub displays the current song.

Edit: Now showing out of stock again, I probably grabbed the last one, or someone cancelled an order.

Shipping is still free for an order of $35 or more. I believe that's how it's always been at the Google store.

I always use the Google Play Music or BubbleUPnP phone apps with mine, and I've never had any sync/glitch issues at all.

Shipping is still free for an order of $35 or more. I believe that's how it's always been at the Google store.

I always use the Google Play Music or BubbleUPnP phone apps with mine, and I've never had any sync/glitch issues at all.
May have been an issue with the Pandora app then, dunno. Working great with the Hub in the home office into a pair of powered monitors. Listen via this setup most every day.

I bought my third CCA on discount at Christmas as a backup - perhaps for use on the patio in the summer. I have never had any problems except they do not play Gapless with BubbleUP, however HifiCast app does manage Gapless playback on the CCA while maintaining a bitperfect stream

As supported by archimago.blogspot.com/, the CCA's internal dac is quite respectable. I highly recommend the CCA.

I've got three of them now.

But I am looking to the future.

Are there any substitutes for the Chromecast Audio? If I didn't have a CCA, what else is out there that can do the same thing for not a lot of money???

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've got three of them now.

But I am looking to the future.

Are there any substitutes for the Chromecast Audio? If I didn't have a CCA, what else is out there that can do the same thing for not a lot of money???

Thanks for your suggestions.
You can use a Rasberry Pi loaded with some free software like Rune or Volumio. If you don't have a DAC to connect to it there are some inexpensive DAC add-ons for the PI like HiFiBerryDAC

Back
Top Bottom