Anyone cook/slice their own sandwich meat - ex RoastBeef?

rebellovw

I'm toying with the idea of cooking and slicing my own lunch meat - Roastbeef/Turkey. We have Boars head deli meats at my local store which has good meat - just expensive and fairly salty - very processed (briney - I guess you would say) - questionably fresh (sometimes the good turkey that I buy tastes like it has been out of the package a few days as people tend to buy the processed crap.)

I would need to get a slicer (like Kramer) - which might be a pain to deal with and store - but seems like the benefits could be pretty great. I mean roast beef from our local deli's rarely taste like a real roast.

a53d1772-2f7b-4f48-9913-81528d4914e2_screenshot.jpg

Thoughts?

I've often thought about that except there's not enough consumption in this house to justify it. I think it's a GREAT idea. You'' save money and have the best sandwich meat on the block.

I've often thought about that except there's not enough consumption in this house to justify it. I think it's a GREAT idea. You'' save money and have the best sandwich meat on the block.
Yeah - consumption would be a problem as it would be mostly me - perhaps my wife occasionally.

It would have to go like this:

Make a great roast for dinner - ex 3lbs - then use the left overs for sandwiches - @ 3 days. Same goes for Turkey - BBQ a bone in Turkey breast - then use left overs for sandwhiches.

I do find myself throwing out lots of store bought deli meat since it isn't all that great and I usually forget about it.

I think this would be a great roast recipe for sandwhich left overs: (I've made it many times) Super high temp - shut the oven off and let cook for hours.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/94113/high-temperature-eye-of-round-roast/

The other variable is bread - we have really crappy bread here in Prescott AZ - absolutely no french bread of any kind - and the best wheat bread is the crazy guitar guy daves - which isn't all that fresh.

If you get yourself a good slicer it is well worth cooking and slicing your own lunch meat.
We roast a pork loin and left over sliced into sandwich meat. Same with turkey breast.
And if I do say so myself, I make a pretty wicked Italian beef. Do it.

If you get yourself a good slicer it is well worth cooking and slicing your own lunch meat.
We roast a pork loin and left over sliced into sandwich meat. Same with turkey breast.
And if I do say so myself, I make a pretty wicked Italian beef. Do it.
Yeah - I was thinking of roasting a pork loin this weekend - that would be good - garlic/rosemary..

I have a Chef's Choice slicer. Picked up a non-serrated blade which is better for thin slices, IMO. We will cook an eye of round and turn it into lunch meat. yes - clean up is a pain.

Despite all the safety devices on these slicers, I still have this eerie vision of me slicing fingers up instead of the meat. I can be kinda clumsy. But I still like the idea. If I saw a used one, I would be tempted to give one a try.

A local market here uses chain mail gloves in their meat department. That's the ticket.

I used a meat slicer when I worked in a deli years ago, and I don't think they worth the trouble unless you're slicing lots of meat frequently. It's quicker and easier for me to grab a knife and cut a few slices to make a sandwich as needed than it is to pull out the slicer and set it up and then clean the thing at the end. And cleaning a slicer can be a real p.i.a.

Been there done that. First thing, get the best slicer you can find, the relatively affordable ones aren't worth the effort, trust me.

Back
Top Bottom