What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Ok folks, its official...

I am finally retiring my iPod Video 5th Gen with the Wolfson DAC and all its little upgrades its gotten over the years. I have had every generation of iPod (Classic lines) multiple models of the different storage capacity. From the 1st gen with the fire wire to the last "7th" (or 6 depending how you look at it) Classic.

I stuck with the 5th gen as my daily player for well over 10 years due to the Wolfson DAC. when audio was played from the pin connector from the bottom of the iPod, it would allow you to access the DAC. The SQ was pretty good, and the technology was fantastic for the time. Later models used different DAC's (lower quality if you ask me).

I am a big handheld fan, and I don't think I've ever given a full detailed review of many of my devices. I plan on doing so once I get my new player in... Yea I said it.. :)

I just gave in and ordered a new xDuoo X3II DAP.

It was toss up between the FiiO M6, and the Sony NW-A45, xDuoo X20 and X3II there were a few others in the line up but not worth the time to talk about.

So I've mentioned before that I'm a Sony Handheld fan, have been since the Walkman. I have a collection of older Sony players, had more but most of my collection is gone now due to the recent break in at my storage unit... Gerrrrr…

Anyway, Sony was my 1st choice, but after reading some reviews I decided against it for one main reason....

I like to tinker... The battery on the NW-A45 is not replaceable... That simple. (I was also on the fence with the touch screen) Sony should know better... A true audio player should have buttons. It adds to the experience (IMHO). That's just me. The funny thing is their $3,199.00 dollar (flagship) player has buttons... yea that says something...

Next up was the Fiio, I've ran a few Fiio's over the years... I have the M3 I think It is... its good for headphones, but that's it, there is no dedicated line out, and most of their players do not have a dedicated line out. While I like the Fiio line, I feel they are way to slow of a machine for the technology that is under the hood. We can talk chip sets if anyone wants to dig that deep into it, but this is just a mini write up on how I personally landed on the X3II. I will go over specs on the X3 and compare it when I get it in and set up. I plan on doing a full review on it outside this thread. ;) I need to get @Leebob involved, he seems to have a love for iPod and Fiio as I do. :)

DAP's are in folks, you need to get on board.

So that leaves only xDuoo…

I recently had a friend who picked up the X2 mini player, and I was quite impressed with the build quality. it was a 32gb unit, no BT, similar to the SanDisc Sansa Clip in size, but not in build. SQ on the unit was actually really warm, and not as sterile as I would have assumed it to be. I did not get to listen to it for a good amount of time, but what I did hear was really good. It didn't have the storage ability that I needed with a larger collection of music, but for on the go could work for some. No BT, but its an on the go player.

I stared to research there product, and found quite a few good reviews, and a few folks who said the same as me, its a warmer sounding player. I like warm... may just be me, but I do.

I landed on the X20 and the X3II. The x20 is there flag ship unit, and its $80 bucks more... its also larger in size, and boasts to have an even better DAC than the X3. Other than that they are almost on par with each other.

Do I really need a better DAC if I'm using the device for Bluetooth? I don't think I do...

So some of the key points that the X3II has that sold me.

1. 256gb storage capable (MicroSD) (Same as X20)… I have a nice 256 Evo Pro+ just waiting to be used.

2. Multi- Directional Bluetooth (I want to dig deep into this one, but this is getting long) lets just say you can control your music from your phone to the device... lost to talk about on this one...

3. Battery is replaceable, uses a 2000mh LiIon battery

4. has a dedicated line out for you amp

5. Build quality... the unit is build from a solid block of aluminum. without fail, on every review they all say the same BEST BUILD QUALITY YOU CAN FIND FOR THE $$.

6. It doubles as and external DAC... COME ON NOW THAT IS COOL!!!

Has a price tag of $103-120 depending on where you get it from. (No SD card included)

Once I have it in, I will be sure to give a full review on the unit. :)

Happy Friday all!

Kind Regards,
John

iPod.JPG

I have so many hours on this thing is hard to let go of it.

Back
Top Bottom