Scott 299c or 299b Update

playittwice

Well the hunt continues. I’ve auditioned a 299c about a month ago and for some reason it didn’t wow me. Could have been the set-up or I just plain did not like it or it wasn’t functioning properly, not sure.

So now I found a 299b with 7189 OP tubes. Some say that are a bit sweeter sounding. What’s the general consensus here about the preference or differences in sonics. I would like actual comparisons from owners that have had or compared both. Will be paired with Klipschorns.

Thanks.

I dunno if one sounds better than the other. Since they are both vintage a lot will depend on the quality of the rebuild or the technician who refurbished the unit.

Wish I could help, closest I have is LK-72 and Fisher SA-100. The Scott is a little harder sounding because of the extra power. The SA is a little more bendy. Both are excellent.

I was in high school during that period, And owned a 222c a 299D and built a few LK-72's for gas money. None of them impressed me. Every time I took them to a Mac clinic they all failed miserably even at 1/2 power. So I quit playing around and Bought a MA 230. More power with 10 times less distortion at the ends of the audio spectrum. I wasn't really happy with high fi equipment until the C-29 and MC 7100's and 7200's came along. I owned almost everything tubed Mac built from the 60's and 70's and most of their SS stuff. Fisheer was a flop like Scott. Pilot wasn't to bad, Dynaco was a step up. Marantz was OK as was Citation. Phono cartridges were all compromised. Either sonically or if they passed then there were tracking issues. Its only been the last ten years or so when the product of today can live up to hype of the 60's and 70's. Its a shame the younger generations aren't able to afford the necessary investment for great sound available today while trying to pay off their student loans and live the American dream.

I have a 299c still all original awaiting refurb.
It sounds beautiful to me. Very quiet background - smooth & silky sound.

Gosh I wonder why I didn’t experience the same sonic bliss. I really want to hear what I’m missing. The example I heard was just completely restored. Perhaps his set-up. I really tried and wanted to like it. Was going to pay a premium for it but it just didn’t wow me. So I will give it one more try and see what happens. Sucks I have to drive 3hours one way to do it though.

7591 tubes don't quite have same magic as 6BQ5/7189 tubes, for me. And 7591s cost more.

Can you say a bit more about your experience of tubes so far?

7591 tubes don't quite have same magic as 6BQ5/7189 tubes, for me.

Can you say a bit more about your experience of tubes so far?

Sure. I auditioned a fully restored 299c. Spoke with the tech who did the restore and said it was a all original piece. All tubes tested above average and he replaced and up-graded everything it needed. Went to audition and the right speaker was dead until the phase switch was wiggled then it came back. The red light for the right channel kept flickering, which drove me nuts. Didn’t bother the owner. Ok I’m OCD. BUT, it’s supposed to be COMPLETELY REDONE!

So as far as sonics it just seem to have an overwhelming amount of bass and the top end seemed rolled off. The mids were awesome though. The owner kept turning the treble to the 330 mark on a clock. I suppose to compensate for lack of highs I would surmise. He had them paired with K-horns, same as I would be doing so figured this is an awesome test. He played some vinyl and cd’s. Both sounded nice as far as the mids are concerned. Could not get past the crazy amount of bass even set at zero. Not giving up yet. Just want to hear what the rest of you are experiencing. Don’t get me wrong I like bass just not to the point my fillings rattle. I do have experience with a SET amp, so I have an idea of what tubes sound like. This 299 had the tube sound I like, just too much in some areas and not enough in others.

So that’s my take on it.

Maybe you could bring a set of speakers to try on it that you know are capable of high frequencies as it's hard to believe that amp could be like that when the specs from most decent/good amps even then would go to 20k or higher. I think something is wrong!

Yes, it sounds like you've not heard 7189 tubes for yourself, at least not in a push pull amp. That would be the next step. You might find you prefer something like an Eico HF81, or a straight 6BQ5 power amp, depending on room size etc. But speaker synergy is probably the most important issue.

Okay so I have a crazy question here.
What can I expect from a Scott 299b compared to my vintage Sansui? Am I going to lose some high-end detail, but gain mids and bottom-end? Seems like that is the best description of tubes vs SS. Is this a good assumption? Do SET amps give better detail, but maybe less bottom end? Not trying to start a one vs the other piss@&g match, but rather an expectation, so I know what to or not to expect, if that makes any sense. I don’t want to give up my search just yet, but I don’t want another 3hour drive and come home dissapointed. I know that’s part of the hunt, and only my ears prevail.

Thanks

You shouldn't loose hi end detail with a tube amp that has good output transformers (and the Scott should have them) and it's properly recapped, resistors checked etc. and the tubes are good.

You shouldn't loose hi end detail with a tube amp that has good output transformers (and the Scott should have them) and it's properly recapped, resistors checked etc. and the tubes are good.

Okay thanks for the explanation. I’m trying to set up an appointment now to audition the 299b. I really hope this pans out. I want a good experience. He has a Fisher x101b also so I’ll have my pick.

I REALLY liked my 299b till it crapped an OPT (even though it was my fault for neglecting it). Interested to hear your opinion after you have a listen.

Okay so I have a crazy question here.
What can I expect from a Scott 299b compared to my vintage Sansui? Am I going to lose some high-end detail, but gain mids and bottom-end? Seems like that is the best description of tubes vs SS. Is this a good assumption? Do SET amps give better detail, but maybe less bottom end? Not trying to start a one vs the other piss@&g match, but rather an expectation, so I know what to or not to expect, if that makes any sense. I don’t want to give up my search just yet, but I don’t want another 3hour drive and come home dissapointed. I know that’s part of the hunt, and only my ears prevail.

Thanks
The AU-9500's I've heard have been pretty bright (to the point of being harsh sounding, imo). the 299B's I've heard sound "Warm" with solid/slightly bloated bass. That may be the lack of detail you mention. The bigger Scott's I heard tended to sound more linear in presentation.

The AU-9500's I've heard have been pretty bright (to the point of being harsh sounding, imo). the 299B's I've heard sound "Warm" with solid/slightly bloated bass. That may be the lack of detail you mention. The bigger Scott's I heard tended to sound more linear in presentation.

IME the 299c has what you are describing, as far as bloated bass and lack of detail. Hoping it’s a bit more balanced with the “b” model.

I REALLY liked my 299b till it crapped an OPT (even though it was my fault for neglecting it). Interested to hear your opinion after you have a listen.

How does a OPT go south on your account?
Did you ever hear a 299c?
Did you repair your 299b?

Yeah the 299C's Ive heard had what I would consider a bass-heavy sound. Some people love it. I found it slightly puffy/muddled. What I thought was a slight rolled-off treble seemed to limit the soundstage. That, for me is a deal-breaker.

If I can find the “right” tube set-up my SSgear will slowly get moved on. That’s the plan anyway. My ears prefer warm with every birthday I have.

Back
Top Bottom