TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Does this mean that they're not selling through e-bay any longer?
I suppose that's the idea, or these particular boards are no longer going to be sold on ebay even if other products are.
Messages are a little mixed, but the boards are described as 'end of life' even though they seem thoroughly modern to me. I think that the intention is to move towards making finished commercial boxes rather than just entertaining us hobbyists.
Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
I think the pdf from 3e audio says "this board" meaning their 3250 board referred to in the article they mentioned is now at end of life. I believe they're planning to keep making their 3251 and 3255 boards. They've told me that there's virtually no audible difference between the two until you get closer to the 3251's power limits, but the price difference is so small there's almost no reason not to just stick with the 3255.

You are right, that was just my misinterpretation. Sorry if that was misleading, it wasn't my intention, hence my highly qualified answer above.
However, in investigating some tech details of the DSP board I did ask what the plans were, and the reply was integrated commercial boxes at some point. So that is probably right.

I agree there's little point getting 3250/1 if 3255 is the same price, except if you know that 3255 is overkill and 3251 would have enough power. The slight advantage of 3251, in that case, would be a smaller and cheaper power supply and less scope for heat generation.
But when I was faced with that choice I went for 3255 like a shot, and now my amp occasionally goes out partying as well as leading a more sedate daily life as a 3251 on steroids. You'd have to be pretty sure you wanted a 3251 vs a 3255 mostly, I think.
Anyway, I hope the group buy goes well, I think the boards look good, and more importantly the more customers there are the cheaper my DSP board will be. Also, 3e deserve credit for being ahead of the game and not emphasising dirt cheap at the expense of quality.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a longtime lurker of this thread, so thanks to all for giving me the bug :)

I was hoping for some quick advice. I just swapped out the original opamps from my FX502spro and put in LME49720NA.

The problem now is that I have a significant crackling sound in my right channel that I'm fairly certain wasn't there before. I swapped over the speakers and ruled them out.

Is there any chance that I broke something when I opened the amp, maybe by pressing too hard on the board when inserting the opamps?

Or what else is it likely to be?

Thanks in advance for any tips! :)

Lots of things are possible. I think the first thing I'd try is to either switch the 2 op amps (if the cracking sound moves to the left channel, it's the op amp) or to try the original op amps (if everything returns to normal, then the new ones are doing something undesirable). fwiw, I'd also switch the cables from your source, to see if it switches channels. If you try these things and the cracking sound is still there, there could be components that are in contact with one another, wires touching, something got disconnected, the board saw some static when you lifted the op amps, or a possible grounding problem.

... or to try the original op amps (if everything returns to normal, then the new ones are doing something undesirable).

Thanks for your great advice. I panicked a bit thinking it could have been static as I wasn't as cautious as I could have been about that, but I swapped the old opamps back in and it is working fine again! Phew.

The new opamps were from a reputable store, but I guess one was faulty?

Good to hear you got it fixed.
I am running the older version of the 49720 (LM4562) in the output of my headphone amp and quite like it.

The new opamps were from a reputable store, but I guess one was faulty?

Glad to hear that you go it figured out! I assume the store will replace it as a routine matter. I have a 502 pro, so I'll be interested
to hear how it sounds once you have two working op amps.

I'd keep switching them and listening. Don't worry about their positions relative to the numbers or to each other.

Here are Allo’s response of which I cannot understand. Please translate for me. Thanks

I suspect the SW for gain…can you use SW 4/5 times and then power on ? (on the channel that has an issue)

Glad to hear that you go it figured out! I assume the store will replace it as a routine matter. I have a 502 pro, so I'll be interested
to hear how it sounds once you have two working op amps.

I replaced my op amps in my 502SPro with 49720NA units. Honestly I don't have a reliable way to test the difference. I am certain that perception bias would be a large factor and I don't know how to get around that.

Honestly I don't have a reliable way to test the difference. I am certain that perception bias would be a large factor and I don't know how to get around that.
I would be fascinated to do ABX testing to see if the difference is perceptible, let alone beneficial, but sadly not possible. I am upgrading on blind faith that there will be some minor incremental improvement. It won't break the bank anyway :)

Here are Allo’s response of which I cannot understand. Please translate for me. Thanks

I suspect the SW for gain…can you use SW 4/5 times and then power on ? (on the channel that has an issue)
Lol we should be able to figure out what they mean by sw. Switch maybe?

Carefully cycle the gain switches a few times with power disconnected. Set the switches to the desired position, power on and test results.:bigok:

Is there something wrong with my forum reader? I don't see any of Allo's response in your post.

I got the TPA3255 amp from AliExpress (lengthy shipping times, of course):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TPA...W-300W-Bluetooth-amplifier-4/32957449597.html

So far, so good. I'm using it with a 48V 3A power brick. I think it might have a lower gain setting than some of my TPA3116 and TPA3250 based amps, which is fine by me as I get more usable volume range to get the right loudness level for the situation. Noise floor seems very good.

I want to do some comparisons with my FXAudio 502SPro 3250, Nobsound dual 3116, and Breeze single 3116, but perception bias is so strong in such testing I am not sure how to get around it. I might have to set up something and have my wife switch so I don't know the source.

So if anyone else is looking for an inexpensive, clean, minimal, pre-built TPA3255, you could give this a shot too. I'd love to hear more impressions.

Back
Top Bottom