looking for an integrated tube amp kit

TubeGator

I'm thinking about building a tube amp kit for a cd player /bluetooth / chromecast to pair with some Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Hoping to find something around 15-20 watts per channel and under $700.
The Dynakit ST-35 looks interesting but I don't see a volume control or switched inputs. I would rather not add a preamp as that adds cost and complexity. Maybe Elekit or others? It would be nice to find something available now versus 6-8 weeks from now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a subscriber, you have access to Barter Town forum. The last time I looked there was an HH Scott integrated amp available that was restored for $700 - it sounds close to what you're describing, but I'm not sure if the output power is close enough.

As a subscriber, you have access to Barter Town forum. The last time I looked there was an HH Scott integrated amp available that was restored for $700 - it sounds close to what you're describing, but I'm not sure if the output power is close enough.
yes I saw that and thought hard about it but decided I would like to do a build. I have a Scott 299B on the bench waiting to find a OPT :(

yes I saw that and thought hard about it but decided I would like to do a build. I have a Scott 299B on the bench waiting to find a OPT :(
Bummer. That would be perfect if you can find an OPT. Have you tried doing WTB for this part on Barter?

Bummer. That would be perfect if you can find an OPT. Have you tried doing WTB for this part on Barter?
yes, I placed a WTB add and have been trying to reach Heyboer with no luck

(did just get through, expecting a call back!)

Last edited:
You can add a volume control to a Dynaco ST-35 and this will work for everything , but phono. & EFB mod from Dave Gillespie at Tronola Electronics is another worthwhile addition.

An ST35 is a power amp
An SCA 35 is an integrated
I'm not sure but I believe it's the same vendor

Definitely not the same. Look at the circuit boards. Bob designed the input driver board and supplies very high quality parts with his dynakit clone. I built his M125 monoblocks that use the same driver board and am blown away by the detail and 3 demensionality of the soundstage. One of the most impressive sounding amplifiers I have ever heard.

Different vendor (using mostly Dynakit parts) for sure and that SCA-35 with no tone controls looks like it's using the same circuit (input tube is the same) as the original ST-35 which Dynakit sells as a kit of parts or amp.

Definitely not the same. Look at the circuit boards. Bob designed the input driver board and supplies very high quality parts with his dynakit clone. I built his M125 monoblocks that use the same driver board and am blown away by the detail and 3 demensionality of the soundstage. One of the most impressive sounding amplifiers I have ever heard.
which one are you refering to when you sat "Bob", I get a little overloaded when looking at this stuff. tubes4hifi? I don't see a 35 at tubes4hifi

I'm always looking for ways to get things done while spending less.

If you're looking to set up a second system, want tubes, and want to do some soldering I'd suggest finding a Magnavox (or similar) console pull and rebuilding it. You'll end up with something that sounds good at a fraction of the cost of the kits.

On the other hand, your Scott really is perfect for this so if you don't really plan on having two systems - which would require you to buy more speakers unless you have some already - I'd suggest that you find a cheap stop-gap solution and focus on getting the Scott up and running again. You are apparently in the process of doing just that.

Your speakers are quite efficient and don't really need much power. Something like this costs almost nothing, sounds surprisingly good, and would fulfill your need for music until the Scott is functioning again.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...attery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

I use one as part of my home office computer system. I also have a Fisher SA-16 PP 6BQ5 connected so I can choose between them. No need to spend hundreds of dollars when you already have a tube amp that is perfect for the job.

Back
Top Bottom