AK Retiree Club

I don't go to sleep until between 2am to 3am. I get up between 11:30am to 12:30 pm. This is a hangover from working 45 years in the theater, which oftentimes would run to 1am to 2am and then add a 45 minute drive home. When I moved to Brooksville the drive to work was 1hr 20min each way. I only had to do that for 3 years. I often would have to be at work at 7am to 8am. This made for long days and little sleep. Being able to set my own time by using my own time clock is heaven for me. My wife is a night owl, but not quite like me. This oftentimes causes some disturbance in our lives.

sounds like you have a plan, I didn't even know I was going untill about 2 monthe before I went
I do have a plan, In June or July I will go to the SS office and get that lined out. By then I should have another 10K socked away. I would work another year but work has become no fun. Don't want to live like that any longer than necessary. Life is too short.

I would work another year but work has become no fun. Don't want to live like that any longer than necessary. Life is too short.
I think that's about everyone feels when they go. I worked a lot of hours and felt life was passing me by. Honest to God I haven't missed it one bit, not the money or anything else

Just had my gall bladder yanked out through my belly button today. Apparently the rocks in my head migrated to my gut.
(grin)

Thank you Medicare!

Been there done that, got the little round scars to prove it.

Tip, those sharp pains you hopefully will not experience, are trapped gas between the tissue layers leaving I was told.
Time is the only cure!

Heal up Brother!

This month marks a year since I retired on disability. I was about to fill out the forms for extended leave and started thinking. Working 10-plus hours days that would have not let me heal properly. The knowledge that If I dropped dead I'd be replaced in a week and the desire for that job not to be the last thing I did in life. My wife and I put our heads together and figured how to make it work. I've got plenty to keep me busy and my health is pretty good so I'm enjoying my "after work" life :thumbsup:

Been there done that, got the little round scars to prove it.

Tip, those sharp pains you hopefully will not experience, are trapped gas between the tissue layers leaving I was told.
Time is the only cure!

Heal up Brother!

Man, oh man, I feel like Unca Sandy has been tap dancing on my belly in his
extra wide Redwing steel toes.​
I thought I had the flu or something even tho I get a flu shot every year and I'm up on my other shots. After four days of not being able to hold anything down the missus sternly informed me we were going for a ride to the hospital and away we went.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's shot for like foaming off at the mouth about the current state of affairs?

Last edited:
Okay, I am still working (for another 2 years, if possible) and have insurance through my employer, mostly so my younger wife is covered.
I hit 65 mid-Feb. Do I have to apply for Medicare now?
I

Okay, I am still working (for another 2 years, if possible) and have insurance through my employer, mostly so my younger wife is covered.
I

I would go online to the Social Security administration and find out. AFAIK you can claim Medicare as soon as you reach 65 or anytime thereafter. I dunno if the staff at SSA has been temporarily furloughed tho.

edit - Social Security offices are open and the site is active. https://www.ssa.gov/

Last edited:
I

Do check with SSA when able to. My guess is as long as you are working and have company supplied insurance you will not be required to be on Medicare.
Once that changes get on asap! You will be required to prove insurance coverage during this time.
One thing you do not want is to get the penalty for waiting to sign up.

The penalties are quite bad. Make absolutely sure you get the real answer. Don't just ask Alexa. Your birth date affects when you can start with MC. Get those fact good for you and your mate. My wife is 12 years younger and can not even collect SS yet. It will be a breath of fresh air when she can.

A couple of days ago, I thought I was having a prostate infection. After a day or two, out popped a calcium kidney stone. I had none of the symptoms that usually goes with kidney stones. I've never had one before. I never thought I would get one with all water I drink every day. Thank God it wasn't bad.

Today I went to the pain doctor and had the cortisone shots in my back. I will get two months of pain relief in my back and I'll really appreciate having some relief time.

It looks like I won't be happy in retirement. Just being a Gov't contractor, sitting around waiting to go back to work, trying to find something constructive to do around the house since Christmas is driving me crazy. Started taking afternoon naps but then I stay up til 3am...

It looks like I won't be happy in retirement. Just being a Gov't contractor, sitting around waiting to go back to work, trying to find something constructive to do around the house since Christmas is driving me crazy. Started taking afternoon naps but then I stay up til 3am...

It might then be different if the financial uncertainty of today is removed. Then are able just have fun doing what you want to do without those fears.

Back
Top Bottom