So the G9700 turns up, must be from a museum

kevzep

Its all about the Music
I bought this before Christmas, took long enough to get it here, but finally it was on my doorstep.
Seller did a great job of packing.
It really does look like a museum piece, inside and out. There is not ONE single mark on the face plate knobs and case....
Its obviously been well looked after.
I put it on the bench and gave it a quick check and dialled in the bias and offset....

I'm going to run it for a little while like it is, and then when things quiet down in the winter I will do a decent number on it...I'm enjoying it on my JBL4410A's at the moment, its a nice powerful and smooth sounding unit....I really like the GX700 series sound....
IMG_7320.JPG IMG_7321.JPG IMG_7322.JPG IMG_7323.JPG IMG_7324.JPG IMG_7326.JPG IMG_7327.JPG

Indeed, very nice score there. I'd kind of like one of these, but can't find a reason I need one (as if that's ever stopped me before). There is one locally I could snag right now but they are asking serious money. I'll probably pass just because I have no immediate need to add another big receiver.

Out of curiosity, outside the added 40WPC output, does the 9700 improve in any other substantive way on the G-9000? The tuner is very good, but is it better than the 9000? I view it as a hybrid of the 9000 and the 9900Z, so I know it's no slouch, but would like to hear "expert" opinions on its pros and cons if anyone is so inclined.

Indeed, very nice score there. I'd kind of like one of these, but can't find a reason I need one (as if that's ever stopped me before). There is one locally I could snag right now but they are asking serious money. I'll probably pass just because I have no immediate need to add another big receiver.

Out of curiosity, outside the added 40WPC output, does the 9700 improve in any other substantive way on the G-9000? The tuner is very good, but is it better than the 9000? I view it as a hybrid of the 9000 and the 9900Z, so I know it's no slouch, but would like to hear "expert" opinions on its pros and cons if anyone is so inclined.
Who needs a reason to buy one? I don't really need this, but as you have noticed, the price is starting to creep up, I wanted a mint one, and I saw this so grabbed it.
It was not a bargain, I paid reasonable money for it, but I am okay with that...

I'll reserve judgement until I have recapped and upgraded the signal path caps etc etc as I have done on my other G's.
It sounds a bit like my G7700 did before I recapped it.
The tuner, G9000 tuner is pretty good, but these tuners are also excellent performers too, the G7700 has a bit more sensitivity than the G9000, I can pick up a few stations clearer than the 9000 could. I had aligned both tuners, and spent a lot of time getting the 9000 tuner just right...
Its a fully analogue tuner with a prescaler, not really a hybrid as such, although I have called them hybrids before as they do mix digital and analogue circuits to a certain degree....

Stay tuned for more....

Great acquisition!

The cosmetic condition is unbelievable. I'm sure that you will really enjoy having this one on your bench, and in your music room. Will it sit near the G22000?

Enjoy - - -

Great looking unit, Kevin. Congrats!

Doesn't everything take "long enough" to get to you? :D

Great acquisition!

The cosmetic condition is unbelievable. I'm sure that you will really enjoy having this one on your bench, and in your music room. Will it sit near the G22000?

Enjoy - - -
Isn't it in startling condition!! I am so pleased with the purchase, believe it or not it was a eBay purchase, reasonable shipping to NZ and the selling price was in some ways a little high, but it is in such excellent condition so I could not pass it up.
Not one scratchy or intermittent switch, everything is fully functional, hardly had to touch the Bias and DC offset.
The tuner can do with alignment, I'll get to that when I have some free time in a few weeks.
But for the time being its in the bedroom system, I listen to music quite a lot late at night when I am going to sleep, so it get used every day I am at home...
It might go in the music room for a time, we'll have to see...

Great looking unit, Kevin. Congrats!

Doesn't everything take "long enough" to get to you? :D
It took a very short time to get to NZ, it spent nearly a month in customs because apparently my Customs Import number was "invalid" in other-words, they changed to a new computer system and somehow lost my number in the migration.
So there was 3 weeks of them trying the wrong number and trying to figure out what the problem was, then I had to re-apply for a new one, then it was Christmas and New years, THEN, finally it arrived when I was away, of course, so it sat on my front doorstep for 4 days.....Hilarious!! Lucky I live in a secluded location well away from the road....and lucky the seller knew what he was doing when he packed it!!

Super jealous...always am of owners with sui units in tip top minty condition...cos I want them all!!!
Well scored!

This looks like its been in a time capsule! Great score there Kevin and I'm sure you'll tickle up it to have it running like new in no time. How does it sound compared to the G9000?

This looks like its been in a time capsule! Great score there Kevin and I'm sure you'll tickle up it to have it running like new in no time. How does it sound compared to the G9000?
Electronically its also in mint condition, its actually performing very very well.....I think its a bit smoother than the G9000 to be honest, and I think with the signal path cap mods it will get even a little more smoother...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom