Pioneer SX-300 only 2x7W ???

miverbru

Hello,

I'm looking to buy the Vintage Pioneer SX-300 for a 100 euros. It's very nice looking but I noticed something rather weird. When looking at the specs I noticed it only has a power output of 7Watt..
How is that possible?
Probably hook my turntable and the Klipsch R-51M to the Pioneer. But the Klipsch need like 20-85Watt.

Do I drop the Pioneer or will it all be ok?
I don't understand why they would create a Receiver with such a low power output.

Help needed. Manual is included.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-300.shtml

That should be all you need, unless yer listening to that dam*ed hippie music!

And yeah, that's what hifiengine.com sez about power.

It's a good choice for vintage gear as I believe it was Pioneer's first offering, at least in the US. It's a classic and a part of Hi-fi history. :)

Hook 'em up and see what it sounds like. You cannot go by speaker specs on how it will sound to you. Not the best specs on the receiver, though. But, you never know until you try. You may find listening nirvana. Or, you may not like it. If I have learned anything, it is that you cannot just go by the numbers on anything. Or, you might want to try different speakers. Definitely a piece of audio history.

With a sensitivity of 93dB, I would think you should be fine, unless you are looking for live concert volume levels in a hall-sized room--if that is the case, you're going to need more than just a bigger amp.

Most people fail to realize (even if you have a 300 wpc amp in your system), that most listening is usually done, utilizing only a couple watts (or less), especially with efficient speakers. Also, don't get caught up in the mis-conception that huge speakers need huge power to drive them. Most of the huge vintage speakers (50's, 60's, early 70's) were designed to fill large rooms with sound with the amplification available at the time--usually just a few watts.

I should add that that was pioneer's bottom receiver and, though they were a real bargain new, this was the days when solid state had a ways to go to compete with tube sound, especially in low end units.

I consider this receiver to be something you have for historical purposes, like someone might have a Model T. You don't own it to "use it". You own it to have it in your own personal "musium".

I consider this receiver to be something you have for historical purposes, like someone might have a Model T. You don't own it to "use it". You own it to have it in your own personal "musium".
Well I'm buying to use it.. As a student, vintage receivers are less expensive and they look awesome. Will be no problem I guess

Well I'm buying to use it.. As a student, vintage receivers are less expensive and they look awesome. Will be no problem I guess
If it is going to be your primary, I'd probably consider having it restored. Like a model T, you don't want to pull it out of an old garage, get the engine to fire up, and make it your daily driver. You'll probably need to replace the caps. That sucker even predates the time I sold the stuff for a living by a few years.

If it is going to be your primary, I'd probably consider having it restored. Like a model T, you don't want to pull it out of an old garage, get the engine to fire up, and make it your daily driver. You'll probably need to replace the caps. That sucker even predates the time I sold the stuff for a living by a few years.

It's not really a storage find ar something like that. The seller used it and everything works and is in good shape. Just the red stereo light isn't working.
Will see if something isn't like it's supposed to be and replace it if needed. Thanks for the help!

I'll update you guys if I have it.

It's not really a storage find ar something like that. The seller used it and everything works and is in good shape. Just the red stereo light isn't working.
Will see if something isn't like it's supposed to be and replace it if needed. Thanks for the help!

I'll update you guys if I have it.
Heh. Sounds like all my posts are a big "never mind". If it's working and you like the sound, go for it. You have a piece of history on your shelf that I covet. It's not a classic Rolls, but more like a classic Metropolitan. I'll take either and love 'em both. :)

Beep-BEEP. Hey Buddy, How do I get this NASH outta 2nd GEAR???????
When I drove my old '63 Rambler to the junk yard, the shifter was not connected to the transmission. I had a hole in the floorboard that I cut for a floor shifter, and the access panel for the rambler was on top of the transmission, held on with four screws.

I kept one screw attached and had a bic pen handy. When I wanted to change gears, I slid the cover back a bit and stuck the pen in the groove in the correct shift ring, pushed in the clutch, and slid the ring over the right gear. It worked perfectly. It was only a three speed. I wouldn't want to do it with an 8 speed.

Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis, either. :)

So I bought the thing! Looks really really neat! Now waiting for my Klipsch R-51M to arrive..
Congrats on your purchase. Once you get it set up and working, listen for static when you work the controls (volume, balance, bass, treble). If you hear any, get a can of Deoxit D5 and use it to clean them up. Lots of info on these forums on how to do this. It's a pretty simple job, especially on a rather spartan receiver like yours. Yes, vintage receivers look cool with their analog displays and colored dial lights, but they don't always sound cool because well, they're coming up on 50 years old. On a side note, if you find you need/want more power at a similar price ($100 Euro range or a lot less) a nice AV receiver from the early 90s would even fit the bill. Something like a Yamaha RXV 870 puts out 80 wpc in stereo, is built like a tank and sounds very nice.

If you know your listening habits you should know if 7 watts is sufficient for you or not. I know for me 7 watts not even in the ballpark for my needs.

Well I'm buying to use it. As a student, vintage receivers are less expensive and they look awesome. Will be no problem I guess

Funny that I did not notice this comment earlier. I am using mine now. In A/B comparison to a fully refurbished SA-6500-II via a switch box, the little SX-300 holds its own pretty well. The amp is a bit clearer on the high frequencies, which I will (perhaps generously) attribute to new componentry inside. It is also just a tad softer in the lowest of the low end. But with a bit of smiley-face dialed into the tone controls this little 7 W/ch receiver sounds pretty good.

Full disclosure: I always root for the underdog, and I really like finding under-appreciated equipment. So I am consciously biased toward liking this receiver along with my old Realistic STA-430 and my little Sherwood S7100-A.

I just bought one of these old Receivers, Got it from a seller on FB Marketplace for $15 with only one channel working... Well I got it home cleaned everything, replaced a few caps, all fuses and 3 display bulbs, did tuner alignment and adjusted the IF circuit and wow it was the best $15 ive spent in a long time, it works great and tunes well with a short wire antenna... Its not a powerhouse by any means but i hooked it up to a pair of 90's era Technics speakers rated at 120w and even with 7w output it sounds great...

Id say for a beginner or someone like myself that likes old electronics and audio buy it, you won't be disappointed and it looks amazing in its wood and aluminum case...

Back
Top Bottom