Can you ID this PP 6BQ5 console amp?

Try searching for any copper chassis amps. Not too common.

Thanks. I did that last night and again just now. No luck so far. I did see some Westinghouse and Motorola copper chassis amps but they are 6BQ5 SE with the OPTs on top. This one seems to have beefy OPTs under the chassis which is unusual. The hunt continues...

Wondering what the empty nine-pin sockets are for. Hmmm.

It is missing three 12AX7 tubes. You can read the labels on the chassis in one of the pictures above. This seems like a pretty straightforward stereo power amp design.

That looks a lot like this one but with OPTs removed from top and smaller ones placed underneath. Additionally, it has the left side shortened and the control moved to the far RHS - from the underneath shot you can see that the side is bent over and (what used to be the lip) is now making that side sit up a little higher, presumably to help with fitting the OPTs under there.

Coppered_Chassis_Integrated~0.jpg

The OPTs on mine are Atlantic Transformer Company.

I can understand the reason for moving smaller OPTs underneath. The output tubes sit close to the OPTs and they get pretty warm. The Atlantic OPTs are huge for 6BQ5 (strong bass) and would not fit underneath.

I got this from Brian @baco99. Maybe he can add some history

Copper chassis makes me think Motorola, but they typically had a 3DG4 rectifier and made more 3 channel amps than stereo integrated ones.

Definitely has a family resemblance to Tinkerbelle's amp though.

Thanks for your help with this. It seems to be a Motorola amp that had the OPTs repositioned.

I spoke to the seller today and told him I’d pass. As cool as this could be, I have too many projects waiting for me to get to them and do not need another. He understood. Seems like a good guy. The amp came from a house he helped clean out, I believe for the owner.

If you’re interested, search Boston Craig’s List for the description below. I can’t post a link here.
VACUUM TUBE AMP FOR SALE - $149 (boxboro,mass)

Back
Top Bottom