Sansui g-5700 tuner bad

Make sure after changing that resistor that you power up 'on DBT' and also set yourself up to monitor bias current (for the faulty channel) from the word go. As you will have adjusted the bias current with those low voltages present due to the faulty resistor, so will very likely need turning down promptly after power on. ;)

Put new resistor in.Get 0mv dc at pins 85 and 86 to ground.Left channel,pin 85 to blue wire,adjusted to 3.3mv,pin 86 to blue wire on right channel,Adjusted to 3.3mv.Still no relay on.Noticed when I turned trim pot on right channel for dc adjustment,couldn’t get meter to change on the dc millavolt reading.

Get 0mv dc at pins 85 and 86 to ground
Noticed when I turned trim pot on right channel for dc adjustment,couldn’t get meter to change on the dc millavolt reading.

Those two statements....So you couldn't adjust DC offset away from zero for the right channel is that what you are saying? - I suggest you have a faulty trimmer - possibly broken solder joint?

How is the DBT looking? - what's the bulb doing?

That is correct.pin86)right channel,dc adjustment,pin to ground,reading doesn’t change when turning dc trim pot.Other side(85 pin to ground)adjusts fine.Both the other trim pots( for bias adjustment)adjust fine(3.3mv,pins 85 and 86 to blue wires on each channel).Bulb dimmer is dim.

Tr-05,Tr-06,Tr-07 and Tr-08 all read around 35v on emitter to ground.Tr-08 reads.72 V collector to ground,Tr-06 reads -35 Volts collector to ground,Tr-05 reads -35 Volts collector to ground and Tr-05 reads 1.13 Volts collector to ground.All pre-drivers,I get 36.8 Volts,collector to base on both 2sd-357 and -36.8 Volts on both 2sb-527’s.

All 4 trim pots are brand new Bourne’s.
Check your soldering and how you have connected the trimmers, is it possible you may have misplaced a track leg with a slider leg? or something similar?

Have you recently changed the first set of (wrong orientation) replacement Bourns trimmers?

Remove the offending trimmer and check that it actually adjusts when connected to an ohm-meter?
Double check the adjustment test points to make sure your mini-grabbers are making contact?

Last edited:
Ok.I checked pin 85 to ground,got 1.2V.Was able to adjust Vr-1 down to 0mv.Pin 86 to ground,got 2.0V.Adjusted Vr-2 right down to 0mv.Vr-3 and Vr-4 are reading 0mv and cannot adjust(nothing changes when I turn them when measuring from pin 85 to blue wire and pin 86 to blue wire on right side.

Cannot figure it out.No relay and also noticed the big transformer is dead silent.Don’t they usually have a slight hum??

Cannot figure it out.No relay and also noticed the big transformer is dead silent.Don’t they usually have a slight hum??
A slight hum is normal - but you would have to be in a very quiet room to hear it.

So, you are now unable to adjust bias on both channels, have you checked that you are getting power to the OP transistors? - and haven't blown a fuse somewhere?

Note also there is an error on the schematic that has been pointed out to me - "Jumper pin #59 should be #85" - (thanks Steve ;)) - have a look at that and see if you can make sense of it from what you can see.

A slight hum is normal - but you would have to be in a very quiet room to hear it.

So, you are now unable to adjust bias on both channels, have you checked that you are getting power to the OP transistors? - and haven't blown a fuse somewhere?

Note also there is an error on the schematic that has been pointed out to me - "Jumper pin #59 should be #85" - (thanks Steve ;)) - have a look at that and see if you can make sense of it from what you can see.
Ok.I will check that out

Where can I measure next to test voltages?Tom
Take a look at the schematic, you'll see pink ovals with voltages noted in them - check all these and report back, particularly check the '+' and '-' 54V on the collectors of the OP transistors. ;)

Output transistors,Right channel,37.6 volts on emitter of 1105.Same side,I think is 2578,-37.5 volts.Left side,same readings as right side.Test was done on BD.quick check at full power netted 53V

Last edited:
None of this makes sense, this is all contradicting itself.

If you can adjust the DC offset down to 0mVDC then the relay will pull in and the green "safely operate" indicator will come on. Job done, but this is not happening.

You are saying 0mV on the output for DC offset, then you say there is 37 volts on the output transistor emitters, this is impossible if you have 0VDC offset.

Are you measuring in the right place?

Can you not attach directly to the emitter resistor to measure the Bias?
Can you not connect directly to the amp side of the relay so you know you are in the right place for DC offset?

Personally I think you are not measuring in the right place and this is why nothing makes sense.

Are you on a DBT?​

Ok.I checked pin 85 to ground,got 1.2V.Was able to adjust Vr-1 down to 0mv.Pin 86 to ground,got 2.0V.Adjusted Vr-2 right down to 0mv.Vr-3 and Vr-4 are reading 0mv and cannot adjust(nothing changes when I turn them when measuring from pin 85 to blue wire and pin 86 to blue wire on right side.

Output transistors,Right channel,37.6 volts on emitter of 1105.Same side,I think is 2578,-37.5 volts.Left side,same readings as right side.Test was done on BD.quick check at full power netted 53V

I thought you said dc is set connecting pin 85 and ground,left channel and pin 86 to ground right channel?When I do this and adjust Vr-1,for the left channel and Vr-2 for the right channel,I can adjust down to 0mv dc.Then I thought you said for bias,pin 85 to blue(A) left channel and pin 86 to blue wire (B) right channel?

I just so happens that pin 85 & pin 86 to ground are the points for measuring DC offset for the two channels - BUT also pin 85 to blue wire, and pin 86 to blue wire are the points to measure for bias on the two OP transistor PCB's.

Pins 85 & 86 are the centre points of the dual emitter resistors, and I simply could not understand why when it worked before, you suddenly couldn't set the DC offset. :confused:

(Thanks are due to Kevzep for his post above for adding some considerable clarity to a problem which has been baffling me - that's for sure. ;) )

I’m about to give up.Its probably something fairly simple but this whole layout is confusing to me.I have 2 big Pioneers(sx1010,1050)plus a big Fisher that all work great and are easier to work on than this one.

Last thing.Where can I check dc before the relay?Maybe that will shed some light on this.I can’t measure dc at the speaker terminals because the protection circuit is engaged

Back
Top Bottom