Health and Wellness

Heck, if you're doing that you're more advanced! I was showing you the easy stuff. But the easy stuff is still good.
I used to do this stuff but had to stop, perhaps I was overdoing it while not ridding myself of bad habits.
I could pull off some difficult stuff but my endurance wasn't up to par.
Bad habits.

A little yoga story.
One day when I was invincible my girlfriend had taken up yoga and I came home and found a video cassette made by famous Ashtanga power yoga yogi, Pattahbi Jois.
I attempted all 17 poses surprisingly well for a newbie.
My tendons were so sore for at least a couple months.
Too competitive, not too wise.

A little yoga story.
One day when I was invincible my girlfriend had taken up yoga and I came home and found a video cassette made by famous Ashtanga power yoga yogi, Pattahbi Jois.
I attempted all 17 poses surprisingly well for a newbie.
My tendons were so sore for at least a couple months.
Too competitive, not too wise.
lol... the competitive nature in me did and does that to me too.

My first yoga class, the instructor asked if there were any new students. I raised my hand. She comes over and says this is one of her hardest classes. Swell. Told me to watch and follow along with that guy. Points to a guy up front. I soon realize the guy I'm following can't do shit. He looks really awkward, so I start watching and following a woman who looks graceful and effortless. Most of it was relatively easy, but I left a puddle of sweat. Hadn't sweated that much since wrestling practice back in school.

I thought yoga was easy and a great workout. And lots of cute and nicely shaped women too. Three days later I couldn't move.

Last edited:
Juicing

Don't want to eat like a rabbit? Juicing is a great alternative. The resulting juices really pack a healthy punch, because of the concentration. I literally get a buzz. Juicing is also good for loosing weight.

A favorite is apple, carrot, a little celery and parsley. Just the apple and carrot is actually too sweet. The combinations are endless and all are good for you.

The juicer I've been using is a Juiceman Jr. Works great, but it's a mess to clean up. The resulting juice tastes great, because it extracts the juice and discards the pulp.

I'm going to try the Nutribullet, which is an easy to clean blender. It doesn't discard the pulp, but you can blend bananas, avocado, nuts and other things that don't work in a juicer.

We don't juice, but bought a Vitamix to make smoothies. We were using a blender than made chunkies.

Here is a partial list of what is usually in them for breakfast
Fresh Spinach
Asparagus
Fresh Beet, red or golden
Frozen mixed veggies
Artichoke hearts
1 banana
handful of frozen blueberries
Turmeric
Cinnamon
Freeze Dried Wheat Grass powder
Crushed Cayenne
Aloe
Real Vermont Maple Syrup

Talk about getting a buzz, this will make unhealthy people OD on nutrients.

We don't juice, but bought a Vitamix to make smoothies. We were using a blender than made chunkies.

Here is a partial list of what is usually in them for breakfast
Fresh Spinach
Asparagus
Fresh Beet, red or golden
Frozen mixed veggies
Artichoke hearts
1 banana
handful of frozen blueberries
Turmeric
Cinnamon
Freeze Dried Wheat Grass powder
Crushed Cayenne
Aloe
Tofu
Real Vermont Maple Syrup

Talk about getting a buzz, this will make unhealthy people OD on nutrients.

I have a Kitchen Aid blender the works great for fruit smoothies.
banana
blueberries
strawberries
avocado
pineapple
melons
honey
yogurt
turmeric
cardamon
crushed ice
Anything else that blends well and in different combinations.

I occasionally make almond milk with a food processor. It turns out pretty good. I'll use the remnants for baking.

This stuff is so more healthier and tastier than store bought stuff!

Last edited:
I went to a new yoga studio last night. Half the people were from the S.F. Bay Area where I just moved from. Including the owner and an instructor.

Class was good. I was the only guy. :)

Saw this today. Fads come, fads go, but the evidence on the benefits of dietary fiber has been consistent for about 100 years.

i started running in my early 20s as an antidote to the lethargy that came from long hours of study. i went from 'i wonder if i can run a mile' to several 3 hour marathons and multiple 10ks, 5ks, 2 mile track races, and a PR of 34:50 10k. i started cycling when i was in my early 30s to get over running overuse injuries, but my fitness level led me into road racing and criteriums (closed circuit road racing) until a brutal finish line crash and a coincidental birth of 2nd child sidelined me for a while...which led me to triathlon (much safer), which got me back into swimming (childhood sport) and eventually into masters swimming in my late 30s and meeting up with Olympian swimmer Jerry Heidenreich as my coach. i've been swimming competitively almost 30 years now, except for the years 2010 through 2015 when i got tired of the black line and started bike racing again, which led me to track cycling (my avatar is a shot of me on the warm up circle at the now sadly defunct Superdrome track). i started out with road racing before going to the track, and i tell you, there is nothing like being a 60 year old Cat 5 (beginner level) on the starting line with a bunch of 18 and 20somethings ready to get their race on. i progressed pretty nicely through a couple seasons of local weekly critieriums, one season of which was the summer of 2011, the hottest summer ever in Dallas. our races began at 5pm, when the temp was quite often 105 or above. if you survive the heat, it makes you stronger. i eventually found my way out to the velodrome, and i've never been bitten by a sport so hard as i was by mass start track racing on fixed gear, brakeless bikes. crazy fast and crazy fun. i moved rapidly from beginners (mostly kids) up to B level racing (high intermediate)- i was always the oldest in the group by 20, 30, even 40 years, but a lifetime of competition and racing smart kept me in the running in most races, often with top 5 finishes. but, a super harsh crash with broken bones in the last race of the season in October 2014 knocked me off the bike and the orthopod told me if i went down again on my left shoulder, i'd be very seriously injured, so, with great regret i stepped away, and back to the pool. where i've been ever since 2015. my health and wellness goal for this year is to try and recover some of my sprint freestyle speed. and maybe, not drink quite as much. MAYBE!

December 2017 and Feb. 2018 I spent several weeks hospitalized each time. Being sedentary and not eating much I lost a lot of weight and strength. I mean it was hard to take my pants off and on. Once out I began eating more and eating better. Cooking instead of microwaving. I got a little stronger but that was all. Then the "Great Maker" put a bug in my ear. The word was "You did this before so do it again". The "it" was strength training and not the rehab from the home visiting nurse. Back in my mid-thirties I started weight training and I also studied the science behind it. Put on about 40 lbs. and was no longer the tall skinny guy. Fast forward to now, I got one of those Total Gyms. Started slow and steady, the weight and strength began coming back. That walker they sent me home with from the hospital is still over in the corner where I put it when I got home. IMO too many older people (60+) have a hard time getting around because the doctors won't tell them they should get stronger because it will help them recover sooner. Whether it's Yoga or strength training it's still true that if you don't use it you loose it.

i started running in my early 20s as an antidote to the lethargy that came from long hours of study. i went from 'i wonder if i can run a mile' to several 3 hour marathons and multiple 10ks, 5ks, 2 mile track races, and a PR of 34:50 10k. i started cycling when i was in my early 30s to get over running overuse injuries, but my fitness level led me into road racing and criteriums (closed circuit road racing) until a brutal finish line crash and a coincidental birth of 2nd child sidelined me for a while...which led me to triathlon (much safer), which got me back into swimming (childhood sport) and eventually into masters swimming in my late 30s and meeting up with Olympian swimmer Jerry Heidenreich as my coach. i've been swimming competitively almost 30 years now, except for the years 2010 through 2015 when i got tired of the black line and started bike racing again, which led me to track cycling (my avatar is a shot of me on the warm up circle at the now sadly defunct Superdrome track). i started out with road racing before going to the track, and i tell you, there is nothing like being a 60 year old Cat 5 (beginner level) on the starting line with a bunch of 18 and 20somethings ready to get their race on. i progressed pretty nicely through a couple seasons of local weekly critieriums, one season of which was the summer of 2011, the hottest summer ever in Dallas. our races began at 5pm, when the temp was quite often 105 or above. if you survive the heat, it makes you stronger. i eventually found my way out to the velodrome, and i've never been bitten by a sport so hard as i was by mass start track racing on fixed gear, brakeless bikes. crazy fast and crazy fun. i moved rapidly from beginners (mostly kids) up to B level racing (high intermediate)- i was always the oldest in the group by 20, 30, even 40 years, but a lifetime of competition and racing smart kept me in the running in most races, often with top 5 finishes. but, a super harsh crash with broken bones in the last race of the season in October 2014 knocked me off the bike and the orthopod told me if i went down again on my left shoulder, i'd be very seriously injured, so, with great regret i stepped away, and back to the pool. where i've been ever since 2015. my health and wellness goal for this year is to try and recover some of my sprint freestyle speed. and maybe, not drink quite as much. MAYBE!

I've been active all my life. Surfing, swimming since I was a little kid. Played football and wrestled from high school into college. Been practicing martial arts off and on since then too. Did my first 1/2 marathon in my early 20s and that got me into running. Got my first mountain bike in 1984. Started rock climbing in 1994 after injuring a knee after a 140 mile, 6500+ foot gain ride in 95+ degree weather. Did a couple short course triathlons. Top 15%, not bad because I didn't really train. Except for doing pool laps, which I still occasionally do. I have an ocean now. Started yoga in 2008 for back pains from sitting too much at the office. Tore my bicep tendon off in 2011 from bouldering. Two weeks after the tendon was screwed back in, I went ocean kayaking. I couldn't sit still. Soon after, started doing one handed yoga and rock climbing. 3 months in I gradually started using the bad arm. After a year it was good as new.

I don't train much, I just go out and play and have fun! Staying healthy is a life style.

Hope you realize you goals!

Going on 64 here and still no meds. .. :)

That's great! I'm meds free too.

It's sad our society has come to rely on medication to "cure" a slew of aches and pains. And take more medication to counter the side effects. Most of the times all you have to do is eat healthy and get some exercise.

I sure wasn't saying that there is something wrong with your smoothies, as long as you don't remove the fiber.

Oh no... half the stuff on the list goes into my smoothies and or juices. Including tofu/soy beans and yogurt. It's all good!

December 2017 and Feb. 2018 I spent several weeks hospitalized each time. Being sedentary and not eating much I lost a lot of weight and strength. I mean it was hard to take my pants off and on. Once out I began eating more and eating better. Cooking instead of microwaving. I got a little stronger but that was all. Then the "Great Maker" put a bug in my ear. The word was "You did this before so do it again". The "it" was strength training and not the rehab from the home visiting nurse. Back in my mid-thirties I started weight training and I also studied the science behind it. Put on about 40 lbs. and was no longer the tall skinny guy. Fast forward to now, I got one of those Total Gyms. Started slow and steady, the weight and strength began coming back. That walker they sent me home with from the hospital is still over in the corner where I put it when I got home. IMO too many older people (60+) have a hard time getting around because the doctors won't tell them they should get stronger because it will help them recover sooner. Whether it's Yoga or strength training it's still true that if you don't use it you loose it.

We all seen it in the news. Men and women into their 80s, still working out and in fantastic shape and health.

Like you said, "if you don't use it you loose it." I'll add a "body in motion stays in motion."

Keeping rocking!

Back
Top Bottom