Jazz Fusion Playlist

Yes, it is, RhythmGJ. Prince purportedly wanted to take a break from rock/R&B/pop during the late 80s and this, along with post-Revolution bandmates (e.g. Eric Leeds on sax), was his foray into what I would rate as a good fusion of jazz horn riffs and funk. The collective released albums 8, 16, and 24 under the moniker "Madhouse." If I remember correctly, singles "8," "10," and "16" were released to support the albums as the ensemble never toured to support the material. Prince's main focus during that period was supporting Sign 'O the Times and Lovesexy.

I remember spinning that "Madhouse 8" album on the air when it came out; you're right, if memory serves, there was some good instrumental/jazz-funk on it.

I remember thinking it was interesting to hear Prince's production approach sans vocals; the backbeat on those songs is BIG.

GJ

At the time the Purple One passed, we had a lively discussion of his fusion recordings, including a CB post of Prince playing Stratus (Cobham tune).

Anyone interested in Madhouse (or the Family), both fusion-funk from Prince, check this thread out for full albums to clic on & play...back on post May 6, 2016. Madhouse albums 8 and 16 in full length are still up, and weren't yanked so far (youtube vids on this thread).

Also lotsa detail and history on Madhouse here April 24 & 30 and May 6 & 8 of 2016. You can get right there "searching" (box field) this "thread" for Madhouse !

Cool to see Madhouse fans here !

Incognito - Who Needs Love?

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Ooh! Ooh! Great album Toody! :)

Unfortunately, I can't answer you back with an appropriate witticism, because "Ooo! Ooo!" is the only Tudy quote I can remember.

It is a great record. I like the approach to bass (Jan Hammer, a la organ trios, but with synth), and the compositions are unique and well-played.

Somehow I missed this one when it came out back in '84, and I was already digging Abercrombie, Scoffield, and Frisell...

GJ

Continuing the theme of 3 piece group fusion & notably leads us to UZEB, a great Canadian fusion band. Usually I mostly like keyboard driven bands or bands with great keyboardists, but some without deserve mention. UZEB has played with or without keys thru the years.

The 1988 to present lineup is my favourite, and has no keys -
Alain Caron-bass
Michel Cusson-gtr
Paul Brochu-drm

Other lineups included - Jean St. Jacques - keys, then Stephan Montanaro, then Sylvain Coutu and then Michel Cyr each following one another on keys.

Not sure if Caron & Cusson may briefly switch to a short keys part, or if they play keys at all, will need to check live footage or liner notes, but I don't think so.

So, this album, in full, (my fave) is sensational cover to cover, with only 2 slower slongs (near ballad tempo); the rest churn on with nod also to the Mingus classic covered.

Trax- (9)
1-Noisy Nights (4:30)
2-Spider (4:55)
3-Luna Mars (6:38)
4-New Hit (8:18)
5-Cool It (5:31)
6-Mister Bill (4:49)
7-Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (7:02) (Charles Mingus)
8-Wake Up Call (4:42)
9-Moe's Run (5:11)

Merry Christmas !
UZEB - UBEZ " You Be Easy" is another great UZEB album. Saw them live several times they are monster players especially Alain Caron. Paul Brochu has played with a lot of top players including Gino Vanelli.

Love Bruford! The first time I saw Bill was on the "Larks Tongues in Aspic" tour in Chicago in '73. Mind blown!
I saw Bill at clinics twice here in Toronto also with Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe, with King Crimson and met him and had a good chat at the El Mocambo in Toronto when he played with Patrick Moraz > Music for Drums & Piano.

Bruford - "One of A Kind"

Jeff Berlin on bass and Holdsworth on guitar! how can you go wrong?

Rick

Welcome Rick, can't miss with that one!

Love Bruford. Sad that he retired, but he deserves to enjoy some rest in his legacy.

I saw Bill at clinics twice here in Toronto also with Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe, with King Crimson and met him and had a good chat at the El Mocambo in Toronto when he played with Patrick Moraz > Music for Drums & Piano.

I interviewed him pretty extensively prior to the "Three of a Perfect Pair" tour. Then I saw them in Toronto. Great show.

GJ

I would have loved to see them as a duo! I have both albums. Tell us any remembrances you have about the show!

GJ

UZEB - UBEZ " You Be Easy" is another great UZEB album. Saw them live several times they are monster players especially Alain Caron. Paul Brochu has played with a lot of top players including Gino Vanelli.

Great to see more UZEB fans ! So cool you saw them live.

Enormous Gino fan here, along with a bunch of friends deeply into music. Vannelli actually started as a drummer, has had some of the greatest stixmen in his band, and his genre defies categorization. It is superb songwriting fusion of rock-jazz-classical-pop-synth & song styling. Most know 1 radio song which financially secured him, yet his very best works remain with fans. He has free licensure reign in the studio (like Sinatra & very few others had). With his 2 brothers the compositions are complicated & unique, I posted some (War Suite, Storm at Sunup, etc) here on thread. Herb Alpert (A &M) gave him his 1st break, then years later Clive Davis tried to hamper GV's career, but his talent overcame & still performs worldwide but not often. Recent band is also killer.

Gino not only sang for the Pope, but has also sang opera on albums & live with the world's opera greats together. A close friend I worked with for 6 years in bands (has his music PhD, 8 Grammy nominations in jazz, was past pres of Combs College of Music, played on 2000+ recordings, writes symphonies & played with many of the jazz greats now all of age, etc) has said...Gino does the most with vocal skills than any one else currently singing. It was his response when we discussed the greatest singers (all genres), their technical abilities, presentation, soul & emotion.

How GV progresses thru chest tones up into falsetto is the finest I've heard; smooth, flawless, powerful and with a full bodied tone. Seamless, coherently integrated and without separation. The 1st 2 minutes of "Storm at Sunup" exhibit that with such great ease, which then moves into some blistering pure jazz from his great band. Plus, Boston Celtics fans dig him too ! (long story from GV on soul train tv show). Gist of the Gemini & Storm at Sunup my fave GV lp's.

Yes, fusion can have vocals & fine instrumentation to match. Here again -

Storm at Sunup (...described vocal intro, then breaks into blistering pure jazz & reprise)

The War Suite (dramatic & epic)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom