Resistance is futile... ALEXA!

Will you eventually replace your analog sound system with digital music streaming?

• Yes

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 84.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think what we fail to realize is this will be our grandchildren/great grandchildren making that change. IMHO while I would never make the switch to streaming only as I like my LPs too much, our generation will be worm food when it happens, but it’s going to happen.

Hell all you need to do is watch Star Trek

As an admission to my seeming "disgust" for Alexa... and her intrusion on my humble analog based home audio system. I will say, the concept of streaming music is a radical change in service normally provided by AM, FM, and even broadcast television events to include cable. Given the INET has provided the conduit for this to happen just about anywhere, I must nod positively to the clean and instant delivery :thumbsup:.

Now the streaming inside your automobile and linked via the smartphone and in turn amplified by the vehicle blue-tooth audio system.... Outstanding! I regularly use the means when traveling in the car and to have any genre at my fingertips as well.. just sayin` :dunno:

I am sure there is a plan to invite Alexa into the automobile realm as well.. I'm not sure if I would enjoy it the same since I favor fiddlin' with screens.

On another odd note, the wife is saying Alexa makes comments (noises) when she is near the Echo device and she can't understand how/why. I simply respond.. Alexa's not talking to me since I turned off her microphone button.. but she does offer a rather interesting red glow :rflmao:

I can't comment on Alexa because I use Google and I'm sure no professional security tech.

But I have checked the packet logs from my router and if I don't trigger the Google Home, it doesn't send any packets out of my home. I did another test by avoiding triggering for a few days, in case it uploaded in a dump but in this case, it did communicate with the google servers - it wasn't much, but there was something and I'm not smart enough to read the packets.

Ok, can somebody tell me why, way back when I first bought and started using DVD/BR player`s, that I noticed that while watching a DVD/BR movie, that my modem/gateway`s activity light was going to town ?

I had initially had the internet connection to the player connected, & engaged for firmware update checking, as at that time, the BluRay specs/HDCP were in a flux, and sometimes new release`s would not play until the firmware was updated, and current..

I had no interest in any of the other internet based functions available in the player`s menu, and disabled them, and any onboard data storage !!

So where was this outgoing data about what I was watching, is going, and for what reason, and who was benefiting from it ?

All internet connections are disabled now, and only engaged every so often to check for any firmware updates, before using the player in the DVD mode.

Just curious.

Kind regards, Billy Ferris

Ok, can somebody tell me why, way back when I first bought and started using DVD/BR player`s, that I noticed that while watching a DVD/BR movie, that my modem/gateway`s activity light was going to town ?

I had initially had the internet connection to the player connected, & engaged for firmware update checking, as at that time, the BluRay specs/HDCP were in a flux, and sometimes new release`s would not play until the firmware was updated, and current..

I had no interest in any of the other internet based functions available in the player`s menu, and disabled them, and any onboard data storage !!

So where was this outgoing data about what I was watching, is going, and for what reason, and who was benefiting from it ?

All internet connections are disabled now, and only engaged every so often to check for any firmware updates, before using the player in the DVD mode.

Just curious.

Kind regards, Billy Ferris

When I first enabled my Blue Ray player, I did see data updates via the Blue Ray menu take place to initialize the unit correctly. I thought it had more to do with the interaction with the Smart TV and upload links used to enhance viewing. I have not seen activity since and may have to recheck for firmware updates and their release.

Routinely and by design the newer INET devices will recheck IP addresses and confirm/deny software upgrades given they need the messaging to play properly. I believe most are controlled by "permissions".. but like you am unsure if these controls are always "active".

Condorsat very succinctly and comically summed up why I will NEVER EVER use Alexa or any of the AI things that listen to my voice.

No freaking thanks.

Yip, I don't like that idea either. There are phone scammers out there that try to get a vioce print of you saying "yes". There is a robo call that asks, "Can you hear me?". Alexa opens all kinds of doors, me thinks anyway, even though I can't come up with much as examples.

I have an Echo Dot, and have an Input coming. They’re both going to be in my bedroom, the Dot bedside and the Input connected to a stereo. I have made an admittedly minimal attempt to learn how these things work, and don’t plan on delving deeper into them in the immediate future. What is going to be the simplest way to keep the control of the two units separated — change the wake word on one of them?

I have an Echo Dot, and have an Input coming. They’re both going to be in my bedroom, the Dot bedside and the Input connected to a stereo. I have made an admittedly minimal attempt to learn how these things work, and don’t plan on delving deeper into them in the immediate future. What is going to be the simplest way to keep the control of the two units separated — change the wake word on one of them?

Yes, or set one as your "preferred" device though the Alexa app. They can also tell which one you're closer to. I have a Dot on each bedside table as a stereo pair and depending on the way I'm facing, one or the other will respond.

I'm all in with the Apple ecosystem and have a HomePod - but Apple is moving way too slowly with Siri and HomeKit. So for now, Alexa and Siri share a job.

I love streaming. No way I could enjoy music as much without it and I am not about to go out of my way to invest $ in a huge hard copy media collection. Real estate is too valuable.
Not sure how Alexa, dot etc make this an issue. Don't go that far with you connectivity. That being said it would be great to have voice command capabilities for Spotify, Tidal etc. Why not? as an example, when I am cooking dinner and listening to music it sure would be nice to simply throw out a voice command to change the track or artist etc. Unfortunately I am afraid those services will eventually integrate with Amazon, Google, Apple etc instead of just coming up with their own software restricted to media.

Back
Top Bottom