Inexpensive Blu ray player with DolbyVision and HDR10

Sony has a couple of entries under $200, a 700 and 800 I believe.See if they fit your needs. I've got the 800 and have no problems but I believe the newer, cheaper 700 has Dolby Vision.

From that link you provided, I don't think a new player will correct that issue.

Sony has a couple of entries under $200, a 700 and 800 I believe.See if they fit your needs. I've got the 800 and have no problems but I believe the newer, cheaper 700 has Dolby Vision.

From that link you provided, I don't think a new player will correct that issue.
Not looking for the player to correct anything. He is looking to get away from iTunes movies and go with discs instead.

I'd check out Best Buy for a Sony or Samsung or perhaps an LG 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray disc player. Check the ones in the $200+ range with high ratings. My personal favorite is Sony's X800 model, It is $400 CDN though, Might be $300 is the US. IMO well worth the extra money. I'll wait until it goes on sale here in Canada.

For those of you who still buy Blu-Ray, do you also use steaming services?

I’m thinking that if he goes Blu-Ray now, it will be cheaper in the long run as he wouldn’t need a super high speed internet connection.

The other thing is that there’s lots of Blu-Ray content not on iTunes in higher resolutions from people like Shout Factory who take obscure horror/thriller/giallo and make it available.

I think most Blu-Ray players come with built in apps. One is not forced to use the apps, though. FWIW. Amazon and, I believe, Netflix offer some 4k content.

Also, when putting myself into this situation, I find that Blu-Ray has many releases of obscure horror movies you can’t find on streaming, even Shudder (which is quite good).

Many of them are now being rescanned to 4k and by all accounts, great looking transfers. In my eyes this, and the further rising costs of having a fast internet connection are the real difference makers.*

*yes Blu-Ray has a better picture but streaming HD/4k looks good. And I would expect compression algorithms to continue to get better as time goes on.

You seem to think that streaming vs owning a physical disc is an either/or situation. It's not. They are not mutually exclusive.

He is viewing it that way in reference to movie purchases. He doesn’t want to buy both but to choose a format and stick with it

I don't know your friends system. So, I don't know how the new player would be connected? But, be aware, the Sony UBP-X800, is only a transport. As such, it doesn't do any internal analog decoding. It has to be hooked up to an AVR for sound. A great player, that can play all formats, as long as you know how it works.

I don't know your friends system. So, I don't know how the new player would be connected? But, be aware, the Sony UBP-X800, is only a transport. As such, it doesn't do any internal analog decoding. It has to be hooked up to an AVR for sound. A great player, that can play all formats, as long as you know how it works.
Yes, the Panny he is looking at is the same way. He would be running HDMI into the tv then passing the audio via SPDIF to a Topping D30 then to his linestage

Back
Top Bottom