Just picked these up!

Josh Smith

for $50 a pair I couldn’t pass them up. I’m quite surprised by the sound so far. Inside looks like it’s insulated well and the crossover looks substantial to me, bracing looks legit as well. Might do a recap in the future but for now they sound fine. Also the subwoofer looks to have cloth surround but the bass is pretty tight for its age and resister as low as 60hz according to a sweep test, any lower and they start sounding pretty mushy. The highs are spectacular, bright and clean and with the crossover control in back setting a sweet spot is easy. Running these puppies flat with the lowest crossover point sound great. I’m running these through a Yamaha RX-v373 and they can take every little bit without distortion. I feel like I scored. Compared to my Klipsch KG 4.5 they are hanging on pretty good except for the lows produced by the Klipsch because the tunes port I suppose. Also frenquency response is way higher than what is stated in the back. The highs can register way past my limit of 17k hz. At least that’s what my kids tell me.

Attachments

• 3F153375-3473-46B3-AB01-A5A15C66FAA0.jpeg
    3F153375-3473-46B3-AB01-A5A15C66FAA0.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 3CD560E7-577B-4C65-99DA-377348B2392D.jpeg
    3CD560E7-577B-4C65-99DA-377348B2392D.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 104F279E-66B0-4FAE-9CC7-0BEBC6B19762.jpeg
    104F279E-66B0-4FAE-9CC7-0BEBC6B19762.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 6F840BF5-BF91-4BFE-9351-601D99FC1053.jpeg
    6F840BF5-BF91-4BFE-9351-601D99FC1053.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 213
for $50 a pair I couldn’t pass them up. I’m quite surprised by the sound so far. Inside looks like it’s insulated well and the crossover looks substantial to me, bracing looks legit as well. Might do a recap in the future but for now they sound fine. Also the subwoofer looks to have cloth surround but the bass is pretty tight for its age and resister as low as 60hz according to a sweep test, any lower and they start sounding pretty mushy. The highs are spectacular, bright and clean and with the crossover control in back setting a sweet spot is easy. Running these puppies flat with the lowest crossover point sound great. I’m running these through a Yamaha RX-v373 and they can take every little bit without distortion. I feel like I scored. Compared to my Klipsch KG 4.5 they are hanging on pretty good except for the lows produced by the Klipsch because the tunes port I suppose. Also frenquency response is way higher than what is stated in the back. The highs can register way past my limit of 17k hz. At least that’s what my kids tell me.
I don't see a subwoofer there, a woofer yes, but no subwoofer in sight. :confused:
They are some nice looking speakers and quite a bargain at fifty dollars.

How they sound is what it’s all about. Everything else is rudimentary.

Nice score!
Yes sir! That is exactly my sentiments on the topic. I roll speakers like no one just because I want something different then kick myself when I reminisce on the sound they produced...oh well it’s part of the hobby. I bought these for my daughter and she said they look antique lol. I said “yeah but the sound isn’t” she laughed and said yeah but she wants something newer looking. That’s what I love to hear because it creates deals for us like minded enthusiast.

I spied the photography books,...

Check out Bryan Peterson. Simple book and he's got a ton of videos.

512tUDSiXeL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have no affil w/ Mr. Peterson but he makes photography fun and do-able. YMMV :biggrin:

Both of my girls took monster Kenwoods to college. They loved having a big stereo with those huge woofers. I think they were the KL-777's. Rocked the house on many a weekend night.
Getting the boys to help carry them into the new digs, I'm sure.

I spied the photography books,...

Check out Bryan Peterson. Simple book and he's got a ton of videos.

512tUDSiXeL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have no affil w/ Mr. Peterson but he makes photography fun and do-able. YMMV :biggrin:
Yeah funny you mention that. I was hooked on photography last year until I realized I kept seeing the same pictures over and over every day on flicker and gave it up...another failed hobby or maybe I wasn’t any good. Anywho it was a fun endevour for awhile. I can be manic at times and it helps to find hobbies to pre occupy my busy mind. For now AK is feeling that void quite well.

...I can be manic at times and it helps to find hobbies to pre occupy my busy mind. For now AK is feeling that void quite well.

You too, huh?! ;)

Been there as well. The better half is about to kill me. Maybe it's a 'guy-thing',... just wired differently. I try to incorporate both hobbies if possible. There are a few of us that do 'it'. Check out AK member @chicks . He's got the photo, audio, thrift store bug, too. Sorry to hijack your thread,...

You too, huh?! ;)

Been there as well. The better half is about to kill me. Maybe it's a 'guy-thing',... just wired differently. I try to incorporate both hobbies if possible. There are a few of us that do 'it'. Check out AK member @chicks . He's got the photo, audio, thrift store bug, too. Sorry to hijack your thread,...
I’ll check that out. And yeah, it must be a guy thing. Haven’t run in to too many women (wives lol) who enjoy a good sounding system cranked within a inch of overload lol. I have a bad habit of pushing right to the edge, my neighbors adore me:angel:

Nice find! I think you did well at $50. I had a near-mint pair recently, as well as a pair of 777's. In my opinion, the visual appeal and build quality is very nice, but overall, there are many speakers that cover more of the audio spectrum, such as your Klipsch. Also, the woofer surrounds tend to stiffen over time, which compromises the bass response. But of course, the true test of any speaker is in the ear of the owner.

Have a pair of these myself,,,paid $50.00 for mine as well...
Was going to use 'em with my Kenwood KA-7300/KT-7300 system till I found a pair of Kenwood LS-408b for a steal.
After that those KL-555a were instantly relegated back to the "free agent" speaker pile.

I was thinking of maybe some day finding a nice wood case lower wpc Kenwood receiever for my KL-555a.
Pair that with my wood case Soundcraftsmen 20-12a EQ and a nice TT of some sort.
That would make for a nice "vintage look" system (ie: wood cases & lattice grill speakers).

Anyhow I digress.

Bret P.

Have a pair of these myself,,,paid $50.00 for mine as well...
Was going to use 'em with my Kenwood KA-7300/KT-7300 system till I found a pair of Kenwood LS-408b for a steal.
After that those KL-555a were instantly relegated back to the "free agent" speaker pile.

I was thinking of maybe some day finding a nice wood case lower wpc Kenwood receiever for my KL-555a.
Pair that with my wood case Soundcraftsmen 20-12a EQ and a nice TT of some sort.
That would make for a nice "vintage look" system (ie: wood cases & lattice grill speakers).

Anyhow I digress.

Bret P.
Yeah I might hang on to these for a little while, originally bought them for the daughter but I guess we're gonna look for some modern bookshelves as these are a little dated and too big for her. I quite like the look of these myself, however I think their due for new caps, as the bass is a little mushy. Just don't know if I'll put any time and money into these or put them back on the market yet.

I’ll check that out. And yeah, it must be a guy thing. Haven’t run in to too many women (wives lol) who enjoy a good sounding system cranked within a inch of overload lol. I have a bad habit of pushing right to the edge, my neighbors adore me:angel:

I haven't come across one female member yet on this site, backing up your claim there. There are some Kenwood speakers close to me also but not of that quality, probably a good thing, in fact I think I'll drop some stuff off at GW today. Those look good, what's the woofer look like(the back/magnet side), or maybe I missed it.

Back
Top Bottom