Chromecast Audio discontinued

I have a love/grumble relationship with my CCA; casting from a laptop Chrome browser session I get intermittent dropouts.

So - not here to whine & complain, but to ask for those that have rock steady streaming experiences with their CCA, what wifi router do you use?

TIA
Let me clarify my use of the CCA if the comments about screens is directed at me.

I use my laptop for casting audio only to my CCA (it is a CCA connected via 3.5mm to RCA L/R; it is not an HDMI Chromecast).

I stream my favorite jazz station that has a listen live button from their website, so I use my laptop; open a chrome browser session, go to jazz88.org, click on the listen live option and then use the cast option from the browser options to my CCA.

I then minimize that browser window once the CCA is receiving the audio stream and I go about my laptop work/surfing.

I have a love/grumble relationship with my CCA; casting from a laptop Chrome browser session I get intermittent dropouts.

So - not here to whine & complain, but to ask for those that have rock steady streaming experiences with their CCA, what wifi router do you use?

TIA

My routing is taken care of by the UTM previously mentioned, but my wireless is supplied by a TPLink Archer C7 in access point mode (no DHCP server).

My routing is taken care of by the UTM previously mentioned, but my wireless is supplied by a TPLink Archer C7 in access point mode (no DHCP server).
That's the same wifi router I use.

Ok, so this router is capable of reliable streaming. Will have to take the deep dive to solve my intermittent problems. Thanks.

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion....

That's the same wifi router I use.

Ok, so this router is capable of reliable streaming. Will have to take the deep dive to solve my intermittent problems. Thanks.

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion....

I know you have another thread on this, but have you tried an internet stability test like this one?
https://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/measure-internet-connection-stability

I can't vouch for this specific program, but I'm sure there are many like it that would show any instability in your connection. I don't know how much various streaming services buffer the stream, but small dropouts could possibly cause problems.

I have uploaded a great deal of music into Google play. The music was ripped using iTunes lossless.

My understanding of Google play is that 'uploaded' content is not genuinely uploaded; the tracks are analysed, and you will be given Google's (lossy) version when you play it from the cloud. Unless a match cannot be found.

That's from a couple of years ago, so the situation may have changed.

ps. I'm assuming your reply wasn't really aimed at me in particular, especially not the comment you quoted...

I have tried to cast to a CCA from a Chromebook a few times, and also experienced interruptions/dropping of connections, and gave up casting that way. But the Android tablets I have do not have such problems, and some are quite old, running 4.4.2. I have also cast successfully from a iPod Touch 5.

I think the difference is that from Android (and the iPod touch), the casting is done from an app with CCA capability (e.g., TunedIn, Simple Radio, some radio station apps), and once the cast is set, the device is out of the picture. I usually shut mine off shortly after starting the cast, and it will run until I pull the plug on the CCA. Casting from a Chrome window seems to be a different affair.

Incidentally, as far as routers go, I began casting to CCA back when I was using an old Buffalo N300HP2, and now using a TP-Link Archer CC2600 starting a few months ago. Both worked without issue. As you note above, you have a good router, and it probably is not the issue.

I'd recommend trying a cheap Android tablet or the like, something that you can load CCA-compatible apps onto.

I have 5 CCAs. I am happy with them and run 4 of them in DACs outside of the CCA. I have uploaded a great deal of music into Google play. The music was ripped using iTunes lossless.
If a CCA goes on the fritz, what is my obvious alternative, as comparable as possible?

Can’t think of a cheap alternative. Many manufacturers are making streaming devices; bluesound, Cambridge audio, nad, etc. But they’re all $500 and up. I do t know of a cheap replacement.

SONOS also on the list. Also not cheap.

When I build out my basement later this year Im planning on running a cat6 cable from my upstairs router down to the the basement. The. I’ll upgrade to a dedicated streamer that has a network drop on it. No more WiFi or Bluetooth. Not that the CCA has been bad, but there are drop outs every now and then.

I have 5 CCAs. I am happy with them and run 4 of them in DACs outside of the CCA. I have uploaded a great deal of music into Google play. The music was ripped using iTunes lossless.
If a CCA goes on the fritz, what is my obvious alternative, as comparable as possible?

Not that I am looking to replace my CCA's, but it looks like the Audiocast M5 is a comparable product. About the same price, size and look, although it looks like it doesn't have an optical digital out, only the 3.5mm jack. I does have multi room support, and local file support out of the box though.

Audiocast.jpg

Not that I am looking to replace my CCA's, but it looks like the Audiocast M5 is a comparable product. About the same price, size and look, although it looks like it doesn't have an optical digital out, only the 3.5mm jack. I does have multi room support, and local file support out of the box though.

Audiocast.jpg

Hey, good catch. Too bad on the optical, but I’ll bet most people can’t hear a difference anyway.

Well, I bought one a month ago as a Christmas present from 'me' to 'me' :) - so to hear that they are now discontinued is a real bummer. :(

Man, I just got 2 of them right after the New Year, glad I did. They are pretty decent sounding through my vintage setup.

I have a regular Chromecast on my TV and sometimes stream music to it. I have to have the TV on because my amp doesn't have an HDMI input. I was thinking it would be cool to not have to have the TV on though and that made me consider other options.

Maybe as a substitute for the CCA one could just get a regular Chromecast and plug it directly into an HDMI on their receiver bypassing the video signal completely. Another way would be to get a regular Chromecast and plug it's HDMI into a HDMI to RCA converter box then to the Aux on your receiver. In both cases you wouldn't use the Chromecast's video signal even though it's there.

I have ended up with two on basically the two for one deal prior to Christmas. I will use one at work, but have not yet. Saving the other one for at home, for use streaming content from my phone (for example, youtube vids I am using for guitar practice) into my system. I have SONOS there for most other things.

what is my obvious alternative, as comparable as possible?

Before I bought my CCAs, I bought a Soundmate M1. DLNA and Airplay, but no simulcast. I paid £18 delivered from Banggood, but they don't have them any more. Here's the thing:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/2018779251.html

This looks to be the same:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Wireless-Receiver-wireless-streaming/dp/B00O0U37HO

As does this:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/crystal-acoustics-unveils-its-ps60-widac-wi-fi-audio-receiver

Last edited:
I've had a couple of these since they came out, will likely keep the one in my garage system in play but replace the one in my main system with a Raspberry Pi solution (I run Logitech Media Server and need Squeezebox/Squeezelite players). Only reason I'm considering the replacement on my main system is that it stumbles on hi-res audio through the optical output (which seems to be a common problem). The garage system plays 96/24 stuff just fine through the CCA's DAC. 100% of the digital content in my main system comes from LMS, while the garage system is a mix of LMS and content cast from Android and Apple phones.

While Google has stated they will continue to provide support for the CCA, I'll be interested to see if there's any further firmware updates to it.

A quck check over at fleabay shows that they're going for 50-100 bucks. Yikes. Sold out at Google store.

Back
Top Bottom