Is This Anything Special?

Actually, it's quite a nice table. It will need some work, and if it is one with the auto return, you may be driven bananas trying to get it to work. A bad thrust bearing is a common issue, but not difficult to fix. The belt has to be the correct thickness if it is to run at the correct speed.

Table raises another question. How do you determine an older table is at the correct speed? To a degree you can hear it, but I’d imagine there’s a more accurate way.

Should I drop $30 on this table?

I would. It's worth a lot more than that. They have a pretty big following. I parted out a basket case on eBay for about $350 (and I still have the platter).

Regarding @Nat's concern about the auto return mechanism, the PL-41 is manual so no auto return to worry about.

I would. It's worth a lot more than that. They have a pretty big following. I parted out a basket case on eBay for about $350 (and I still have the platter).

Regarding @Nat's concern about the auto return mechanism, the PL-41 is manual so no auto return to worry about.

Muchas gracias, boreas.

Very nice! :thumbsup: Should clean up nicely.

With regards to you question on checking the speed on a turntable, a strobe disc as mentioned above is the easiest way to do it. However, you'll need to make sure you're using a proper light source. A CFL or LED bulb won't cut it, as they generally 'strobe' at the wrong frequency. Your best bet will be to get a neon bulb; failing that, an old-fashioned incandescent bulb should do the trick. I have a neon panel indicator lamp along the lines of these with a line cord rigged up to it which I use for strobe discs, though I have a bulb along the lines of this which I may put to use for the purpose.
-Adam

Thanks Adam. Already downloaded the strobe disc from Vinyl Engine. Seller said it needed a belt, but when I opened it up the belt was off. So I want to reinstall that and give it a spin to see what I get. Looking into the install procedure now. Looks to be in pretty good shape except for missing a dust cover and rotted feet. Still have to give it a test drive though.

So it's playing but sounding a little slow. Have to order a new belt, and the cartridge is sort of an unknown factor. Not sure about the speed consistency, haven't put the strobe disc on yet. Have to get the correct oil and hit the joints that need that. At least it works.

PL-41Playing.JPG

Ah the old girl cleaned up nicely.

Yeah cosmetically she's in good shape. Small chip in the gray paint just right of the front left corner plate, and some scuffing on the tonearm where it goes into the rest. The wood is really good, a couple of small bumps on the front edge is all I've found thus far.

One thing I noticed was after I took it off to look at the cartridge and clean the sylus, the clamshell twisted a little clockwise when I put it back on. I had to twist it back a little to get the cart. vertical.

Also, tested it with the strobe disc and it was spinning counter-clockwise at a respectable clip.

Back
Top Bottom