I Need Absolutely Nothing, But Want to Buy More!

Dave B.

I've got enough excellent audio equipment to make a half-dozen people happy. BUT I search Barter Town multiple times every day. I search Craigslist locally, regionally, and nationally several times a week and I have Hifi Shark finds waiting for me every morning. I study my setups and keep asking myself, "What else do I need?" And the answer keeps coming back: NOTHING!

Do any of you have "the sickness"? This obsessive need to keep buying great vintage equipment is really frustrating. What do you do when you have more than you need and you still want more?

Is there an Audioholics Anonymous?

Dave

Last edited:
I don’t need anything. Do I enjoy trying different things and experimenting with different equipment? Sure I do. And sometimes what I try as an experiment stays in the semi-permanent system. And sometimes it doesn’t last more than one listen.
I try I learn I grow. To me that’s a large part of my enjoyment of this hobby.

See,
This is where sanity fails.
You get an amp

But, it will sound better with different tubes.
Now its better with those tubes but it would have better synergy with these speakers.:idea:
So you buy speakers. Hmmm
That sounds as good as the other system
Wait, I already have that system:yikes:.

Maybe if I get this amp:rolleyes:?

I've got the addiction also. Ever since I learned about AK and Craigslist. It seems that every 6 months it flairs up and I feel a want to buy something.

look for source music - CDs Vinyl - your preference. Can always use more of that

That's a reasonable suggestion, thanks. I'm a classical music lover and because of many years in FM classical broadcasting back in the '70s and '80s I have thousands of classical LPs that I received gratis from the various record companies. I also have thousands of CDs due to my obsessive buying habits in past years.

Now, though, I stream 100% of the time. I have a couple decent TTs and a couple nice CD units, but I'm just too lazy to bother with either LPs or CDs (I know; that's really lazy). I used to make a lot of noise about "the glories of vinyl" (and I still think they sound glorious), but streaming meets my slothful needs perfectly.

When it comes to equipment, though ... I'm now on the hunt for my second MX113. Why? Don't ask.

Dave

video.cgi.jpg From reading your list of equipment you most definitely need a MEN220. Or maybe you could find a Lyngdorf version for half the price. You could change to Steinway Lyngdorf stereo systems for 4 times the price of your Mac stuff. The Steinway finishes aren't cheap. Yes, Steinway is the Piano company. I guess they should know a good sounding system when they hear it. It would be fun taking the craftsman from Steinway that voices and tunes the pianos to pick out a great set of speakers. I'm personally not fond of 1'ks. to bright and sizzling for me, even with 2301's. I prefer the XRT 28's and XR 290's.

How about one of the SL 1000's by Technics or VPI's new DD turn table with a gimbal mount arm for $15,000.00. A pre-owned series 20 TT from SME if you prefer belt drive. How about a big Bergmann TT with an air driven linear tone and air suspended platter. For the advanced model you can have the added advantage of air suction to hold the lp against the platter to remove warps, ripples, etc.

Last edited:
Auto corrector was an effective piece . I couldn't find one either and chose to get a 3BX from DBX. Used with discretion its a valuable tool to enhance old LP's. Doesn't work with CD's as they have to much dynamic range for classical , brass and other dynamic recordings. But on some off this modern overly compressed stuff being released today they can add a bit of realism.

I Would prefer a design that is more realistic for speakers and then be able to use the graphic tone controls on my pre-amp or my program equalizer to get the desired results. You could voice your system to its best with a MEN 220 and then use one of the built in memories to get your preferred sound as an option.

I think many a manufacture survives mostly on people that don't need their products buying their products. For me it is exacerbated by forum and youtube reviews. I've all but given up on youtube 'reviews' since most are merely designed to get the reviewer more products sent to them for free. But it is much easier to stumble on forum reviews. Heck I had a cheap tube preamp in my cart and ready to checkout this morning when I came to my senses and stopped. Of course I also need the cheap power supply upgrade for it and....

For me the less expensive items are the real budget killer. $35 here, $100 there, $125 over there and pretty soon I've spent a bundle. Since the items individually are basically cheap I'd tend to buy them with very little thought. They also have very little resale value; is it worth the hassle to try to sell a $50 component for $25?

I believe it's OK to excess for a while, but also being able to just pass on it, or pass it on, as in sell is important too. If the memories attached to the stuff become too strong, and it's a buy cause it's there... maybe it's time to take "inventory" and re-evaluate. Space/money and OS works into the buying equation as well. The last variable will quickly clue you into the first two!:D

Q

Back
Top Bottom