Goggle discontinues the Chromecast Audio, nooooooo!

bubba42

Google has discontinued the Chromecast Audio. I'm so sad. For me this was a terrific fit for my needs. I hooked one up to every amp I have in the house and I can stream to any/all places easily. Plus I can stream high quality music from my NAS too. Dangit!

Is there an inexpensive option with as broad support? I'm not a fan of bluetooth streaming because of decreased audio quality in some circumstances and casting to a Chromecast was just much nicer.

Well there is no reason to look for something else. The software is fine and not going away as far as I know. The hardware isn't going to be bricked.

Did your gear break? Has it stopped working?

Google has discontinued the Chromecast Audio. I'm so sad. For me this was a terrific fit for my needs. I hooked one up to every amp I have in the house and I can stream to any/all places easily. Plus I can stream high quality music from my NAS too. Dangit!

Is there an inexpensive option with as broad support? I'm not a fan of bluetooth streaming because of decreased audio quality in some circumstances and casting to a Chromecast was just much nicer.

No, my gear hasn't broken and it works now. But what if I want more? Will it continue to work with devices I buy in the future? Etc.

It is just an ideal solution that gives better audio quality than many other wireless options at a very low cost.

No, my gear hasn't broken and it works now. But what if I want more? Will it continue to work with devices I buy in the future? Etc.

It is just an ideal solution that gives better audio quality than many other wireless options at a very low cost.

Buy direct from google? They still have them for $15.

That is funny. I just saw them for $15 at Bestbuy and they are the same price directly from Google yet they are actually getting $50 for them on ebay.

Last edited:
Ugh. I love these things - listening it to it right now on my home-office system. I'm more afraid that they'll discontinue the casting function. It's not like Google/Alphabet has a history of halting services I like (see: Inbox).

That is funny. I just saw them for $15 at Bestbuy and they are the same price directly from Google yet they are actually getting $50 for them on ebay.

They're not available at almost any place now, including Google and Best Buy.

Yes, I'm also worried about vendors not adding/continuing the casting function in their systems. I rely on streaming high quality mp3s from my Synology NAS to my amps via the ChromeCast audio. It works really well and I would HATE to lose it.

I'm kind of tempted tonight to go out hunting for one to put away just in case mine breaks.

I use 5 almost daily, and certainly weekly, every single one.

They are most excellent audio streaming devices that are dead simple.

It's a shame that they are discontinued. I hope google doesn't obselete the ca streaming ability.

Google had another batch of them for sale on eBay for $15, they sold about 6,000 in very little time.

This device is nearly perfect for me, cheap, small, great audio quality, and allows me to take any amp - vintage, tube, DIY - and stream high-quality music to it from my home NAS. I love these things.

Back
Top Bottom