Goodwill Finds

David_NC

I went to one of our local Goodwill stores over the weekend for some shopping / browsing. The one store I find with decent equipment has a dedicated electronics section that it completely separated from the main store. I was pretty impressed with the inventory at this store, and a couple pieces caught my eye:
Denon DRA-425 receiver
Yamaha AX-700U amp (plus a matching tuner)​
Both were reasonably priced and looked like new, but I'm waiting for their price tag colors to come up for half price week. Yeah, I'll likely miss out on both, but I really don't need them either. There were quite a few upper level Denon CI, Integra, Pioneer Elite, and Yamaha 5.1/6.1/7.1 receivers without HDMI, and a few slightly lower models with HDMI. I really wish I had a use for a nice receiver or amp in the sub-$100 range (generally quite a bit less than that). The speaker selection was somewhat lacking, but I found quite a few nice CD and DVD players, but I don't really need them, either. I guess visiting this store will be part of my weekend routine... I just need to figure out which color tags will be half price.

GW in Georgia has sucked for the past couple of years. The persons that prices things thinks they can get top Fleabay dollar. Haven’t had much luck in a very long time.

It may be that whatever colour tags they use for electronics are exempt from those events.​

A couple stores here promote those "tag colour" sales but it's mostly for stuff they get tons of. Electronics and audio recordings were always excluded. Clothes, housewares to some degree and books are what they get in spades.

Here in the Midlands.. there are a number of quality GWs. It is incredible some of the rare audio items I have seen on display or purchased over the last two years. Most are in good condition but need a little "TLC recovery" for return to full working order.

Given the Millennials are cleaning out there now older generations basements, garages, and crawl spaces.. I am sure there will be more vintage audio to come :bigok:!

GW in Georgia has sucked for the past couple of years. The persons that prices things thinks they can get top Fleabay dollar. Haven’t had much luck in a very long time.

I think everyone goes to my local Goodwill to snag up electronics cheap, mark it up and sell on Letgo. Never anything good there, so I get mine at Amish Country thrift stores. The majority in those areas don't use electricity :D

Thrift-shopping became "trendy" a decade or so ago. GW wants to move upscale, become a "boutique". The posters displayed in their windows show this new corporate image: they are, ahem, "cool", "hip" and "with it". Products and prices reflect this.

It may be that whatever colour tags they use for electronics are exempt from those events.​

A couple stores here promote those "tag colour" sales but it's mostly for stuff they get tons of. Electronics and audio recordings were always excluded. Clothes, housewares to some degree and books are what they get in spades.
Not at this one; I saw green, orange, and purple tags in the electronics section, and the color of the price sticker did not seem to coincide with the value of the item. The guy announcing the half price color of the week works in the electronics area. I asked him if it applied to electronics, and he said that it applied to everything in the store. I need to get there when the color of the week is announced! ;)

Back
Top Bottom