Ibemiked

Picked up a nice vintage Technics rack system few months back it included the following
Technics SU-V9 Integrated Amp
Technics SH-8055 Spec Analyzer Eq
Technics ST-S6 Tuner
Technics SL-QX300 Turntable
Technics SH-4020 Audio Timer
Technics M245X Tape Deck

The SU-V9 sounds and works great! 120WPC @ 8ohms and 0.003%THD! Only issue is the little light for the New Class A emblem located on the bottom right does not light up and it's also missing the glass door on the bottom.. both are issues I can live with. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this amp and if the light is an easy fix? I'm sure the insides could use a good cleaning, some of the buttons are a little
Scratchy when pressed.
Also the ST-S6 seems to be possibly out of alignment? I'm no expert on repairing equipment but I thought I've heard tuners can need aligned? It's actually a very good Tuner with a lot of features you don't see on most tuners. It picks up every station but the quartz lock and stereo lights turn on for the wrong station (if that makes sense) for example the station is 97.5 and it comes in meters showing full signal but neither the stereo or quartz lock lights come on, the lights will come on at like 97.3 which is nothing (fuzz).. So I'm wondering if it's maybe an easy fix and if not is worth paying to have fixed? I know tuners aren't usually that valuable but this was on the higher end for Technics when new. This entire system was actually all Higher end when new. The SH-8055 works perfectly! I always wanted one of these to, i remember going to stores as a kid and being fascinated by spectrum analyzers and always wanted one.. the SL-QX300 is solid, replaced the stylus works perfectly. The cassette deck is the only thing that doesn't work.. it's tough finding tape decks that work these days.. I'm hoping it's an easy fix.. Not sure what the issue is with it.. it's an M245x anyone think it's worth putting money into? Hopefully someone will read this rant and have a few answers for me.. if not oh well..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 39
Great score on the V9 - well done.

I replaced my blown one in a V6 with an orange LED. Theres no point having that fancy badge unless its backlit IMO.....

So is it an easy fix replacing the bulb? Is it something an "amateur" could do? Is there any soldering required?

I'm currently using this amp.. When I feel like switching it out for another amp I'll open it up and take some pics.. there may be a picture of the inside on an old AK post. Let me see if I can find it and take a screenshot. Thanks for the help man! Appreciate it!

Its been a while since I did mine - I think the bulb just slotted into a fitting. A photo of your bulb fitting inside the unit would help
Here's a stock photo I found, tried to zoom in on the area where the bulb is located on the 2nd photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 36
I late last year fixed my SU-V9, lovely lot of equipment you got there, all matching the ST-6 is the matching tuner for the V9. The V9 has an awesome phonostage

My ST-6 was pretty good, but I did have a tuner that was a bit of station, some of the capacitors had leaked so i had to replace them.

The tape deck is a dbx deck, i never owned a decent tapedeck just a Sony that was made in china. I would expect a belt maybe, not sure,

As for the V9 bulb , i soldered my bulbs in, but with care that would be the only soldering to do. Remove the bottom service plate, maybe be able to accress the black plastic sheild over lamp and click out lamp pcb, possible to cut the legs of the old bulbs also, so they still attached the solder and carefully twist the new legs of the new bulbs in

svi lamp.jpg

I late last year fixed my SU-V9, lovely lot of equipment you got there, all matching the ST-6 is the matching tuner for the V9. The V9 has an awesome phonostage

My ST-6 was pretty good, but I did have a tuner that was a bit of station, some of the capacitors had leaked so i had to replace them.

The tape deck is a dbx deck, i never owned a decent tapedeck just a Sony that was made in china. I would expect a belt maybe, not sure,

As for the V9 bulb , i soldered my bulbs in, but with care that would be the only soldering to do. Remove the bottom service plate, maybe be able to accress the black plastic sheild over lamp and click out lamp pcb, possible to cut the legs of the old bulbs also, so they still attached the solder and carefully twist the new legs of the new bulbs in

View attachment 1391943
Thanks a lot for the response! I appreciate it. I'll probably have my friend take care of it. If there's soldering involved I'd rather have someone
Who knows what they're doing take care of it. I'd give it a shot if it were a cheaper piece of equipment. Sounds like I probably have some bad caps on my st-s6 too. Mine is quartz & stereo locking on the wrong stations. Is that the same issue you were having? It's actually a really nice Tuner with a good amount of features. I'm pretty impresses with the SU-V9 phonostage. Can't say it's as good as my Luxman C-1010 but it is close and great for a Integrated amp. I'm thinking about having a pro give a checkup on the SU-V9, SH8055, ST-S6 & the M245x it's a quality set worth preserving. Thanks again for the info!

Back
Top Bottom