PC as source component

Reviewing this thread for options for a little Atom SBC I've been playing with.

Tried Volumio this evening. Installation onto an SSD requires a tiny bit of Linux work, but quickly done.

Booted first time and presented a GUI to the local VGA port, albeit in a rather strange position, partly off the screen. Setup was six simple steps.

Didn't find both my NAS drives, but easily added my music NAS manually, whereupon it requested access credentials. It started acanning, during which, folders were ordered randomly.

Once scanning was complete, folder order became alphabetical, and empty folders were removed. A reboot sorted the weird screen position.

The UI is rather pretty. Need to play with it to see how it works as a player and server. But, put it this way; I have secured the SSD back into the SBC case, and closed the case up...

One minor gripe so far, for a system intended to be easy to use, is the recommendation to use 'volumio.local' to access the web interface. This is an Apple protocol (although adopted as an IETF RFC), and isn't universally implemented; none of my Windows machines found it. Simply suggesting the alternative 'http://volumio' would get over this problem. I knew to do that because of my experience with the WD MyCloud web interface, where '.local' is used for MacOS/iOS devices, but not for Windows/Android devices.

Last edited:
Need to play with it to see how it works as a player and server.

Well, the first major disappointment is that it isn't a server in the conventional sense; it does not provide a DLNA server that DLNA clients can use. It creates a server for its own player only. So it is a remotely-controllable player, rather than a server. I guess it describes itself accurately: "The open audiophile music player". Not 'server'.

Given that it will index locally-attached USB drives, it seems a bit odd not to provide a true server function, but there were mentions of performance issues on the RPi, running a server and playing music locally. But there is also an x86 image (which I'm running), so an option to enable a DLNA server would have seemed a more sensible choice.

An earlier version of Volumio did provide a DLNA server, but it seems that was removed with the release of v2. There was some discussion of a DLNA server plugin around 2016, but I can't find such a plugin through the internal plugin manager.

It WILL act as a DLNA renderer, though.

[edit: the RPi version allows the use of a Logitech Media Server plug-in]

Last edited:
Installation onto an SSD requires a tiny bit of Linux work

It required booting off a usb stick, with an image on another usb drive, and then using dd to copy the image to the SSD.

Just trying to re-use the uSD card I used as the boot disk as above, and find that Win7 won't recognise it. Win8.1 has a go, and says it has formatted it, but the Disk Management tool is unable to sort out the partitions. Currently using a Linux live CD to run parted/mkfs on it to see if that will restore normal operation...

Not sure if this is merely coincidental...

linux to the rescue: parted & mkfs created a disk that Win7 recognised, and was able to formt to fat32. Currently copying RPi Volumio image using Win32DiskImager.

Last edited:
RPi Volumio working nicely, now with added I2S DAC Hat (PiFi DAC+).

Not having played much music through it, I ran a couple of consecutive album tracks through it tonight. Absolutely seamless gapless playback; not the merest stutter. Very impressive, when I'm used to PC media players and DLNA renderers putting quite a gap between tracks.

Well, the first major disappointment is that it isn't a server in the conventional sense; it does not provide a DLNA server that DLNA clients can use. It creates a server for its own player only. So it is a remotely-controllable player, rather than a server. I guess it describes itself accurately: "The open audiophile music player". Not 'server'.
Which is why I prefer an LMS (Logitech Music Server) environment. As for me, the last thing I want is a general purpose computer in my listening room attached to the AC.

I run the software from the office server which feeds several endpoints around and outside the house using a common digital audio and video library. Main system upstairs is fed by a 50' CAT6 ethernet cable feeding a microRendu player powered by an Uptone LPS-1 power supply. The garage system uses an RPi based system using an Allo DigiOne player. Oppo 103 in HT can access music or movies via DLNA. My iPhone/iPad can be used as either remotes or players. Apple Watch serves as remote for any.

Last edited:
Which is why I prefer an LMS (Logitech Mu

A DLNA environment does exactly the same. The only problem is that Volumio doesn't provide a DLNA server, only a DLNA renderer.

Volumio does have an LMS plugin.

The single board computer I was playing with isn't a big, noisy PC with fans; it's a small, fanless Atom-based PC, that takes about 10W, and has an SSD, so not even the hum of a spinning HDD. The RPi is even smaller and lower power.

The only problem is that Volumio doesn't provide a DLNA server, only a DLNA renderer.
I'm delighted you got my point.

The single board computer I was playing with isn't a big, noisy PC with fans; it's a small, fanless Atom-based PC, that takes about 10W, and has an SSD, so not even the hum of a spinning HDD. .
But still happily spews RFI garbage into the AC with its SMPS. :)

I'm delighted you got my point.

I didn't really... Other DLNA systems are available. I'd already expressed my disappointment/surprise that Volumio doesn't provide a DLNA server (unlike MediaMonkey, MusicBee, BubbleUPnP, Kodi, etc etc).

But still happily spews RFI garbage into the AC with its SMPS

Not if it's a well-designed supply, compliant with the many EMC standards...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_EMC_test_standards

The RPi itself has switching supplies on it, to generate the lower voltages from the 5V USB input, as does the little SBC. SMPSUs are everywhere. Some are badly designed. Some aren't.

I actually use a mix of LMS and Foobar2K on my system.
I wouldn't have even messed with FB2K but LMS had issues playing DSD files.
After customizing the UI, I actually like FB2K A LOT.

On my Linux configuration I only use Pulse Audio Equalizer and manual configuration inside "daemon.conf". I`m also try PulseEffects but on my old laptop it need more processor power.
This is changes what I add and change in daemon.conf...

resample-method = src-sinc-best-quality
avoid-resampling = yes
enable-lfe-remixing = no
rlimit-rtprio = 9
default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 48000
default-fragments = 2
default-fragment-size-msec = 125
deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 1

Last edited:
I got a new Dell laptop from my wife for Christmas, it is using Windows 11 OS. I want to install a compatible Music Management program, but Music Bee and LMS seem to be for Windows 10 or older. Looking for suggestions!

Both should run under Windows 11.

LMS isn't a music manager (i.e. for maintaining a library, ripping CDs and manipulating metadata, etc.); it's a music server.

Would that mean changing to another operating system?

As linuxfan mentioned and linked, it's a pretty simple process. Many low/mid priced laptops are coming with Windows 11 S anymore as it's a tad more bare bones and "secure", they think, since it only allows for MS Store apps. Easy to go to regular mode and don't pay any attention to their warnings asking if you're sure you want to move away from S mode. lol

Ok then, my computer based totally internally WAV. ripped stored music server, is a 24/7/365 running purchased new in 2010 Gateway laptop that I upgraded the spinning drive to a 1 Terabyte SSD, and Win 10 Pro from the laptop`s original top tier 7 OS, increased the memory to 8 Gig.
The laptop`s SSD has currently 13,273 WAV. ripped tracks and being added more ~ CDs almost every month, played with MS`s included Win Media Player.
The laptop is connected to the internet for NWS provided radar loop, and no other internet connection desired, plus a external USB based PC oscilloscope to X/Y (Lissajous display) monitor all L/R audio that passes through the A/V rack`s Mc. C-37 preamp.

Before I set this laptop for playing internal/independently of outside sourced music, my only digital music source was my OPPO UDP-203 Universal player, via its front panel USB connector with a 1 Terabyte flash drive, using it`s S/PDIF coax out to feed my DAC, and that was my digital music SQ reference, and it sounded perfect to my ears..

So I got to thinking that I wanted the now # 2 digital music source (the laptop) to have the same, if not very, very close SQ as the OPPO was providing playing the same WAV. ripped music`s SQ, so to be able to readily be A/B the 2 digital music sources to compare for tweaking and improving the laptop`s rendering of the duplicated music files, I researched to find a highly rated USB to S/PDIF converter, and I did, it was on sale at Crutchfield, as the manufacture was discontinuing that model (Peachtree X1).

Anyway, I had purchased a very HQ S/PDIF 4X1 remote controllable switch which allowed me to cue up identical tracks on both digital music sources and A/B them to compare the laptop/X1 configuration to the OPPO players SQ, to look into removing the slight, but still annoying digital glare in the laptops music delivery, plus I now had not only a duplicated digital music playing source, for redundancy, but I could now load up new acquired WAV. ripped music into each source, and being able to keep my all day playing music running with no down time by switching between the two sources as needed when adding new WAV. ripped music to both.

This setup turned out to be highly desirable, and after tweaking the laptops via several iFi brand inline S/PDIF & USB re-clocker/filters, and some other music laptop audio improvement tweaks/upgrades, I now can not tell the difference between the 2 different digital music sources fed into my Pro Ject brand pre box S2 DAC.
The laptop`s UVGA set resolution (1400X1050 lines) video output is sent to a 8X1 active video distribution amplifier that sends the computer`s display to seven rooms of my house`s flat screen TVs, so I can easily see the radar, and whatever music that is playing`s Metatag information, if I wish to turn on that`s room`s TV, and the laptop`s wireless track ball allows me to lay in my right around the corner from the laptop master bedroom`s bed and control the Media Player`s various functions very easily, and I enjoy that every evening for several hrs. mildly stoned before falling asleep.

I only wished I went this independent of the internet and totally inhouse sourced digital music route sooner than the a little over 6 yrs. ago when I finally decided to make the leap, and am happy with all aspects of my digital music setup and can`t see the need to change anything about it`s electronics and configuration..

Back
Top Bottom